View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 How far are the Dolphins from being playoff worthy? 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post How far are the Dolphins from being playoff worthy?
Quote:
By Omar Kelly Sun Sentinel

9:41 a.m. EST, January 14, 2013

Watching last weekend's round of the NFL playoffs was eye opening.

What it should have shown Miami Dolphins fans, and those running the organization, is that this franchise isn't close to being a contender yet.

I'm not even sure the Dolphins are in the same league as some of these teams.

Did you see the quarterback play from Baltimore, Denver, Seattle, New England, San Francisco, Green Bay, Atlanta and Houston?

Did you see the surge the offensive lines created against good defenses?

After you watched this weekend's playoff games can you even pretend the Dolphins are close to turning the corner?

Can you even make an argument the Dolphins could turn into the Seahawks in 2013?

I can't and won't. That's why I'm on the record with my view that the Dolphins need the kind of offseason that completely renovates a franchise.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... &track=rss

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: How far are the Dolphins from being playoff worthy?
Here is the problem, he is making an argument for something other than the title of the topic.

Playoff worthy, to me, means making the playoffs. The Dolphins beat a few teams that were in the playoffs and probably a couple of plays away from being a 6th seed. Can they be there in 2013 with an additional playmaker or two on offense? Absolutely. Will Tannehill be better with an offseason to learn and some newer, faster weapons. I'm leaning toward yes.

Now are the Dolphins in the realm of the teams that played this weekend? No. But still, this seems a bit too extreme for me. They don't need to gut and restructure. They need to add a few key pieces and find out if Tannehill is a clutch QB.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:28 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I hope we are as close as the 2010 SF 49ers were to being a playoff team... Being they finished 6 - 10 and ranked 24th in offense and 20th in defense I feel we are well on our way to a conference championship game...

However if I was to be fair, unlike Homar, I would say if we are able to shure up our o-line, and add some spark to the run game it could open things up..

This weekend I saw many TE's and RB's able to shed the block and go out for a pass, something I rarely see with us. Seems when they let the defender by and go into the flat, RT is on his arse because our line cant handle a 4 man rush...

We do well in P-A-P, and have a QB that is good on the run. We need to build around that, get him a couple more WR's and who knows...

I do know we were a couple points away from actually making the playoffs, so thats exactly how far we are from being a playoff team as far as I can see it...

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:55 am
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

we simply lack playmakers on both side.
And also the offensive playcalling has to get much better.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Here is the problem, he is making an argument for something other than the title of the topic.

Playoff worthy, to me, means making the playoffs. The Dolphins beat a few teams that were in the playoffs and probably a couple of plays away from being a 6th seed. Can they be there in 2013 with an additional playmaker or two on offense? Absolutely. Will Tannehill be better with an offseason to learn and some newer, faster weapons. I'm leaning toward yes.

Now are the Dolphins in the realm of the teams that played this weekend? No. But still, this seems a bit too extreme for me. They don't need to gut and restructure. They need to add a few key pieces and find out if Tannehill is a clutch QB.

I agree with you. And I don't believe that we need a gut and restructure.
The part of the article I wonder about is how he thinks teams with no push from their defensive front are such great teams, worlds above the Dolphins.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Did you see the quarterback play from Baltimore, Denver, Seattle, New England, San Francisco, Green Bay, Atlanta and Houston?

Shaub sucked in that game....Matt Ryan wasn't all to impressive..And Manning threw a pick that lost the game.

Ya, I saw it.

And the coaching? Denver took a knee with 30 seconds and 2 timeouts left.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:27 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Shaub sucked in that game....Matt Ryan wasn't all to impressive..And Manning threw a pick that lost the game.

Ya, I saw it.

And the coaching? Denver took a knee with 30 seconds and 2 timeouts left.

Ryan had no pressure. We beat Seattle and the Bengals, right? We beat the Bills and the Titans and we are in. All that great MVP talk regarding Manning, he threw a horrible pick and looked like Henne.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:32 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

we are thisclose.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Of course there are a a lot of positives........one of the youngest teams in the league, cap space to bring in a high caliber WR(s), Corner(s), Five draft picks in the first 3 rounds, a promising QB, excellent D-Line.

Like some of you have posted, the O-Line remains the most concerning. There's no comparison between our O-Line and the O-lines for Seattle, Atlanta, San Fran, Baltimore, Houston and New England. I wouldn't be surprised if two of our top three picks are O-Linemen.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
he threw a horrible pick and looked like Henne.

I swear Mak if the guy predeceases you you'd go take a dump on his grave or write "pick per game" on his tombstone.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 am

I swear Mak if the guy predeceases you you'd go take a dump on his grave or write "pick per game" on his tombstone.

I wouldn't dump on his grave, come on Jammer. Maybe one pick a game though, sounds about right.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

I wouldn't dump on his grave, come on Jammer. Maybe one pick a game though, sounds about right.

Ha

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]