View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:28 am



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3594
Post Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
Quote:
...

But which receiver should they go after? All three make intriguing cases. Let’s look at it objectively, using a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) among six criteria:...

SUMMARY

Each player brings something a little different to the table. Bowe is an excellent all-around receiver who is still in his prime and has put up solid numbers while playing with some mediocre quarterbacks. Jennings has a proven history in Philbin’s offense, could be a solid veteran leader in the locker room and likely will come cheaper than the other two. And Wallace is one of the best deep threats in the game, is just entering his athletic prime and could really help the Dolphins’ offense stretch opposing defenses.

But when looking at it objectively, Bowe should be the top priority. The Dolphins don’t throw the deep ball nearly as much as the Steelers do, and need a complete, all-around receiver more than they need someone who the majority of the time runs fly routes, as Wallace does. Bowe will come cheaper than Wallace, and has a better chance of staying healthy than Jennings does.


http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... ee-agency/


Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 91
Location: Canada
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
One team could sign Jennings+Bowe for pretty much the same price as Wallace...

Jennings: $6M/year

Bowe: $8M/year

Wallace: $12M/year


Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:44 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5831
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
How is grading guys on a subjective scale making it an objective argument as to why Bowe should be signed?


Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1282
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
But when looking at it objectively, Bowe should be the top priority. The Dolphins don’t throw the deep ball nearly as much as the Steelers do, and need a complete, all-around receiver more than they need someone who the majority of the time runs fly routes, as Wallace does. Bowe will come cheaper than Wallace, and has a better chance of staying healthy than Jennings does.


The Dolphins don't throw the ball deep because we don't have anyone to throw the ball deep to. Wallace does a lot more than run fly routes, he has incredible speed and is huge in the redzone. Bowe and Jennings are entering the later part of their careers, Bowe is not fast, he'll do little to stretch the defense............Jennings has been injured the last two season. To me Wallace is the obvious answer..........hopefully, he wants to come to Miami and we don't get in a crazy bidding war.


Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2433
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
Bowe would be my choice in free agency. He has been getting it done without much help from his QB's. He is not a one trick pony by any means. He is a big, physical receiver. I would still want Miami to draft a speedy WR to go with Bowe, Hartline and Bess....but Bowe's 4.51 time at the combine isn't all too shabby. Wallace will be very expensive and I am not sold on him being a complete receiver.

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:37 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1282
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
To me Wallace has the capability to significantly change the way defenses play us. He's such a threat down field, defenses will be punished if they play 8-man fronts..........even if he didn't catch a ball in a game he's going to open the running game and opportunities for other receivers.

Bowe and Jennings are good, but they're not game changers, we would still need to pickup an effective down field threat. Bowe likely has 3+ good years left, but I'm not confident Jennings does.

I realize Wallace will cost, but his abilities are exactly what we need. Time to stop patching the holes and take advantage of the opportunity when it presents itself.


Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6274
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
I think all 3 are very good receivers. Wouldn't complain about getting any of them. I will say that if it ends up being Bowe or Jennings, then we need to pick a speed receiver in the draft too.


Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5831
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
swerve13 wrote:
I think all 3 are very good receivers. Wouldn't complain about getting any of them. I will say that if it ends up being Bowe or Jennings, then we need to pick a speed receiver in the draft too.


A receiver needs to be drafted regardless. Unfortunately it might have to be multiple receivers.

The more I think about it the more I'm worried Hartline doesn't return to Miami. Its not that he's irreplaceable, its just the time it takes to develop a young receiver and learn this offense. You have teams like Houston and Cincy who are close to making deeper playoff runs and could do so with a young, reliable target. He's going to get good offers.


Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:09 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1282
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
The Dolphins made Hartline low ball offer during the season, which Hartline and his agent Rosenhaus did not respond. Hartline's a free agent and I'm thinking the Dolphins will make attempts to keep him, but their final offer will be significantly below others.

Hartline's a good player, but he benefited last year by being the best receiver on a mediocre squad. Matthews got some playing time toward the end of the season and I think it showed the Dolphins he could be the 3rd or 4th receiver going forward.


Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
shularino wrote:
To me Wallace has the capability to significantly change the way defenses play us. He's such a threat down field, defenses will be punished if they play 8-man fronts..........even if he didn't catch a ball in a game he's going to open the running game and opportunities for other receivers.

Bowe and Jennings are good, but they're not game changers, we would still need to pickup an effective down field threat. Bowe likely has 3+ good years left, but I'm not confident Jennings does.

I realize Wallace will cost, but his abilities are exactly what we need. Time to stop patching the holes and take advantage of the opportunity when it presents itself.


You want Wallace, you think he's this big prize for whatever reason, yet you completely ignore that the Steelers are more than happy to let him walk. Why do you think that is? If he was this extremely valuable player like you say, wouldn't you think the Steelers would make him a priority? Instead they're already making plans to move on without him. I'd pass on Wallace. There is a reason Pittsburgh doesn't want to pay him that money, it's because he probably isn't worth it.


Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:32 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 4446
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
wkloiber13 wrote:

You want Wallace, you think he's this big prize for whatever reason, yet you completely ignore that the Steelers are more than happy to let him walk. Why do you think that is? If he was this extremely valuable player like you say, wouldn't you think the Steelers would make him a priority? Instead they're already making plans to move on without him. I'd pass on Wallace. There is a reason Pittsburgh doesn't want to pay him that money, it's because he probably isn't worth it.
Same can be said about Jennings/Bowe or any other FA.

Also, if I looked at it correctly. The Steelers are 11 million over the cap. That is a quick look. Could be wrong on it.


Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1282
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
wkloiber13 wrote:
You want Wallace, you think he's this big prize for whatever reason, yet you completely ignore that the Steelers are more than happy to let him walk. Why do you think that is? If he was this extremely valuable player like you say, wouldn't you think the Steelers would make him a priority? Instead they're already making plans to move on without him. I'd pass on Wallace. There is a reason Pittsburgh doesn't want to pay him that money, it's because he probably isn't worth it.


They do not want him to walk..........they can't afford to keep him, per Bleacher Report, they're projected to be $8 mil over their salary cap and have 18 other unrestricted and six restricted free agents on their roster. They cannot give him the $30 mil guaranteed, 5 year deal he's likely to demand.

You see wklober13, I did a some research before making my post.


Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:51 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 2433
Post Re: Breakdown: Dolphins should sign Bowe over Jennings, Wallace
It seems that the Steelers have a history of letting folks go about the right time. If they don't hold on to Wallace, then caveat emptor!

Somehow I think Wallace ends up a Steeler again though....

_________________
Image
Philbin's countenance exudes confidence!
1984 was so long ago...Will there ever be another rainbow?


Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:35 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.