View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 OT: Jets to shop Darrelle Revis 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

OT: Jets to shop Darrelle Revis
Quote:
Pessimistic about his chances of re-signing Darrelle Revis before he becomes a free agent next year, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is open to trading the star cornerback, a person familiar with Johnson's thinking said Wednesday night.
Revis' contract will void after the 2013 season, and there is a clause in the deal that prohibits the Jets from using the franchise tag.
If they don't sign Revis to an extension, the Jets could lose him as a free agent.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... ing-source

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Jets to shop Darrelle Revis
Not a bad move. He seems to want a new contract every other season & is now coming off injury.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:17 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

They want "AT LEAST" a 1st rd for him!! If it was not for injury's this season & last? right am i thinking correctly? If he was healthy, i may think on it real hard, but only if he will sign & shut up!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:40 pm

You have to think he would want to take his talents to south beach

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Post Re: OT: Jets to shop Darrelle Revis
Can anybody think of any player that was traded while recovering from a torn ACL?

As great a player as Revis is....and to me he's the game's best on that side of the ball....The Jets will be hard pressed to get even close to adequate compensation.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ted Ginn use to light him up... :jests:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:29 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

If we pick up a WR in FA then I'd give our 1st pick for Revis.

He's 27 & assuming he can fully recover, he has proven that he'll be more effective then Dee Milliner for the next 3-4 years, who we likely won't get at #12 any way.

The guy erases practically half of the defensive field! What other options do we have that are worth paying for?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm sure the Jets would want to trade to a division rival. No doubt.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:05 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

degs wrote:
I'm sure the Jets would want to trade to a division rival. No doubt.

I agree. That won't happen. According to all the reports, this is an ownership decision, too. If Rexy loses his best player he will end up being a lame duck head coach in his last season.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

No thanks.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:54 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FINesse wrote:

I love the sarcasm.....You come with it ALOT.

There no way in hell the Jets would trade Revis inside the division. And he is not looking for a new contract as he will be a free agent after the 2013 season. Woody Johnson does not think they will be able to sign him, so he put that out there and is now trying to back track.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:00 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
FINesse wrote:

There no way in hell the Jets would trade Revis inside the division. And he is not looking for a new contract as he will be a free agent after the 2013 season. Woody Johnson does not think they will be able to sign him, so he put that out there and is now trying to back track.

Tony ,
I wrote that (yes it was sarcasm) because I knew somewhere in this thread there would be a post or 2 about us obtaining him. And of course I was not disappointed. Of course they would never trade him to a division rival , even the Jets are savvy enough not to do that. But hey , is anyone else on board giving up a #1 for him if we pick up a wide receiver in free agency. LOL

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:32 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FINesse wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Tony ,
I wrote that (yes it was sarcasm) because I knew somewhere in this thread there would be a post or 2 about us obtaining him. And of course I was not disappointed. Of course they would never trade him to a division rival , even the Jets are savvy enough not to do that. But hey , is anyone else on board giving up a #1 for him if we pick up a wide receiver in free agency. LOL

Darrelle Revis is the best CB in football right now, hands down. He is making 6 mill/per year, and Sean Smith wants 7 mill/per year. The problem with anyone trading for Darrelle is they are going to want to be able to re-sign him, and you KNOW he is going to want and get a mega deal. You can't afford to give up a 1st round pick for a guy you MAY not be able to sign at the end of the season.

A kid that I like out there that I would not mind paying 7 mill/per year to is Cary Williams, the CB with the Ravens. Big, fast and makes plays on the ball, unlike Sean does most of the time. If the Ravens don't franchise him, I would like to go after him.

As far as Darrelle is concerned, I think he is getting tired of the foolishness with the Jets. It's a circus, and Woody Johnson, the owner is a Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder type of owner. He threw Mike Tannebaum under the bus when he said that Tim Tebow was forced on him, when he is on record as saying he loved Tim Tebow before the trade had been made. He said he wants to remain in New York, but with the trade rumors, I think when 2013 is over, he is gone. That is, if the Jets don't trade him, and I know Rex Ryan and the new GM don't want to do that.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:37 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
An NFL executive believes the New York Jets can land a first- and third-round pick for star cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Morning take: If the Jets can get that kind of value, they should jump at it. Revis is the best corner in football, but he wants a huge extension in 2014 that the rebuilding Jets cannot afford. I’m skeptical a first-round pick will be involved, but we will see.

A team that thinks they are one player away on defense from winning a Super Bowl will jump on trading for Revis.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Big Dave wrote:
Quote:
An NFL executive believes the New York Jets can land a first- and third-round pick for star cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Morning take: If the Jets can get that kind of value, they should jump at it. Revis is the best corner in football, but he wants a huge extension in 2014 that the rebuilding Jets cannot afford. I’m skeptical a first-round pick will be involved, but we will see.

A team that thinks they are one player away on defense from winning a Super Bowl will jump on trading for Revis.

2 major things that the team that trades for Revis will have to consider. One, he is coming off a major knee injury, although we have seen how modern medicine and the care and rehab these guys go thru can have them ready in a much earlier time frame. Still, DB cut and drive off their legs a lot, so that has to be a concern.

The other is can you sign him at the end of the year. He will be a free agent and it is rumored that he wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the game.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Quote:

2 major things that the team that trades for Revis will have to consider. One, he is coming off a major knee injury, although we have seen how modern medicine and the care and rehab these guys go thru can have them ready in a much earlier time frame. Still, DB cut and drive off their legs a lot, so that has to be a concern.

The other is can you sign him at the end of the year. He will be a free agent and it is rumored that he wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the game.

Anyone trading for him should make a contract extension a mandatory part of the feal

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:19 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

There's apparently a lot of interest... and that's really no surprise. He's the best CB in the league and a very rare defender who can still shut down the opponent despite all the rules going against the DB's nowadays.

He will command a pretty penny, but isn't the best player at a position worth it?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]