View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Free agency this year loaded with talent, not big spenders 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Free agency this year loaded with talent, not big spenders
Interesting.

Quote:
Free agency this year loaded with talent, not big spenders

Although there are four teams with more than $30 million in cap room with the dawn of free agency two weeks away, I expect this to be a stingy season for one of the best free agent classes ever.

Why? Three reasons:

1. The new young class of general managers are far more interested in building through the draft than with their checkbooks. Consider this point from one such young-turk general manager of a team that in the past has spent generously in the March free-agent market: "I'm more concerned with keeping our own team intact than spending money on players we could use, but who would create problems of their own." Although this team needs a wide receiver and pass rusher, this general manager fears the impact of high-priced imports on his locker room at a time when he's not going to be able to pay everyone big money.

2. The flat cap is dictating many decisions. NFL teams have been told to expect a cap of around $121 to $122 million over the next two years, with marginal increases after that, beginning in 2015. And so smart teams snug to the cap -- Baltimore, Seattle, Atlanta, the Giants -- will lead the way by not jumping out in the early days of the market for any player other than a reasonably priced one. "More than anything this year, I believe you will see teams saying, 'patience is a virtue,'" one general manager said over the weekend. That means that the secondary market, which usually occurs about two weeks after free agency begins in mid-March, will be a busier time than the early days of free agency.

3. Dallas and Washington, usually big players in March madness, won't be free spenders because of their 2012 salary cap penalties. Washington club officials, still bitter about being docked $36 million for cap violations the team never agreed with, will have $18 million less to spend on the cap this season. And the Cowboys will be $5 million lighter also from the same cap sanctions. A market without Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones throwing money around is not as fun, and certainly not as lucrative for players and agents used to their collective largess.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... index.html

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Free agency this year loaded with talent, not big spenders
That is GREAT news for the Phins! Hopefully we can make good offers to the FA without breaking the bank and that will start with Mr. Wallace!
I went back and looked at every game from last season and 4 games really got to me. Jets at home and the Bills, Cardinals & Colts on the road. Besides the Colts game (Luck is a Beast) that Smith could of potentially sealed with a pick our D either held our own or gave the O a chance to win on a plate. Carpenter did the rest but that's neither here or there. Our O just needs to make a few plays and this team could of been 10-6 or even 11-5. I know woulda, shoulda, coulda! Our TEAM was not that great and we had a lot of weaknesses but so did the Colts and Bengals.
I'm just saying that I pray we go HEAVY on the offensive side of the ball in this draft and FA, from OL to WR. I know we need a CB, DE & S but 2012 showed we still could of made the playoffs with a subpar Defense.
Weapon, weapons and more weapons on O. Use FA and 2 picks on D but offense is where I hope Ireland is staying all night working on!

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Some big names will be getting released..Cowboys Steelers are both way over the cap

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Another guy from Draft Winds (Chris Koufman) was tweeting he could see Miami pursuing a trade and listed Miles Austin, Jeremy Maclin and Nate Washington as potential targets. I have a hard time buying that Ireland will deal more picks for players but if he doesn't want to drop 20-30 million guaranteed on a guy...

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Just so you don't think I'm nuts for quoting the guy about trading for Miles Austin, he followed it up by saying Austin is owed 19 million over the next 3 years, none of it guaranteed, and Dallas needs to move guys to get under the cap.

I'd have zero problem with Miami giving up a 4th round pick for the guy. The numbers make sense, and if he's injured and you have to cut him its no worse than releasing a 4th round developmental WR (Clyde Gates anyone?). Of course I can't promise it would only take a 4th to acquire him, just thinking out loud.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Just so you don't think I'm nuts for quoting the guy about trading for Miles Austin, he followed it up by saying Austin is owed 19 million over the next 3 years, none of it guaranteed, and Dallas needs to move guys to get under the cap.

I'd have zero problem with Miami giving up a 4th round pick for the guy. The numbers make sense, and if he's injured and you have to cut him its no worse than releasing a 4th round developmental WR (Clyde Gates anyone?). Of course I can't promise it would only take a 4th to acquire him, just thinking out loud.

Just seems like he's always freakin' injured.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

I could see us making a serious move to get Austin. We've got an extra 3rd round pick and I wouldn't hesitate to make that trade if the Cowboys are serious about moving him. He played in all 16 games this year and had almost 1,000 yards when it was all said and done. He's got good size and speed. I think he'd be a great addition. He's also only 28 so he isn't over the hill yet.

Didn't we try to trade for Austin a few years ago? Didn't Ireland try to swing some sort of draft-day trade to get him?

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

Agreed, but it would seem like a low risk high reward deal for the short term. Just an alternative to big, guaranteed money elsewhere.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I would like to take a run at Bart Scott...He would be a good fit

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:10 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Didn't we try to trade for Austin a few years ago? Didn't Ireland try to swing some sort of draft-day trade to get him?

From what my sources told me then, there was a deal in place where the Dolphins would swap first and third round picks with the Cowboys and Miles Austin would be sent to Miami. The deal died when the Dolphins traded two second round picks to acquire Brandon Marshall.

Kev1321 wrote:
I would like to take a run at Bart Scott...He would be a good fit

Try telling me that three or four years ago and I would agree. But at this point in his career, I'd rather pass.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:12 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

He broke out in 2009.

In 3 of the past 4 years, he played in all 16 games. In 2011 he missed 6 games.

Hardly always injured.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

He broke out in 2009.

In 3 of the past 4 years, he played in all 16 games. In 2011 he missed 6 games.

Hardly always injured.

I agree, the guy has been very productive the past four years, the lone exception being 2011 when he was injured. But overall the guy has been solid. I'd have no problem with Miami trading away our extra 3rd round pick to get him. He'd be able to come in and play right away. So long as Philbin and Sherman sign off on it I'm ok with us going after the guy. That and I still want to see us draft at least one receiver in the first two rounds. Adding Austin and a high draft pick to the duo of Hartline and Bess would give Tannehill four solid targets to work with.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Hmmm Miles Austin for a 3rd or 4th sounds like a heck of a deal if Ireland could pull that one off.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]