View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Alex Smith to the Chiefs 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Alex Smith to the Chiefs
Alex Smith just traded to the Chiefs per Glazer and Schefter. Doesn't become official until March 12th.

I guess Miami can start making trades if they want.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Alex Smith to the Chiefs
All the Bowe-lovers can definitely cross him off the list. Reid isn't going to saddle up his new QB without a legit #1.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Apparently, the deal can not be finalized until Free Agency starts. I must admit Free Agency rules confuse me. If you go by the letter of the law, then a team is not supposed to contact another team's player or their agent before Free Agency begins. You would have to think the Chiefs would want to contact Smith and his agent and work on specific contractual terms, before agreeing to the trade. The only thing I can think is if the current player's team allows contact, then the other team may contact that player directly.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Shularino,

Since the trade deadline has passed for the current league year, this trade cannot be finalized until the new league calendar starts on March 12. Which also happens to be the same day free agency begins.

Teams cannot talk to free agents until March 12. Alex Smith is not a free agent, so the teams can talk to each other about trades. I believe that KC cannot talk to Smith about a new contract until he is officially traded and becomes a Chief.

Also, players are not officially free agents until March 12 either. They are still property of thier teams until that day. That is why you will see players that may have been free agents, resigning with thier teams.

Hope that clears things up a bit for you.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

First, thanks for providing the clarification, PhinsFammel. It just seems odd a team would give up a 2nd Rd Draft Pick this year and a conditional pick in 2014 on a QB, they have not spoken with. I understand this happens quite a bit, we saw it on hard Knocks with Vontae..............but this is a bit different. First, he's the most important player on the team, second he got a contract extension last year so he's due $8 mil/yr.

I guess KC felt they needed to pull the switch, and did not want him meeting with other teams.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

shularino wrote:
First, thanks for providing the clarification, PhinsFammel. It just seems odd a team would give up a 2nd Rd Draft Pick this year and a conditional pick in 2014 on a QB, they have not spoken with. I understand this happens quite a bit, we saw it on hard Knocks with Vontae..............but this is a bit different. First, he's the most important player on the team, second he got a contract extension last year so he's due $8 mil/yr.

I guess KC felt they needed to pull the switch, and did not want him meeting with other teams.

If you're KC you have to determine whether Alex Smith can do more for you in the next 5 years than any QB prospect you might get in the 2nd round this year and next. They have weapons and he's proven to be a very efficient QB. Its expensive to get a QB who can perform.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]