View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Analyzing the Dolphins draft: Week 11 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Analyzing the Dolphins draft: Week 11
Quote:
a complete list of every player the Dolphins have met with/worked out/interviewed that we have been able to obtain up until last Tuesda

The Dolphins scouts were in Lufkin last Tuesday to watch the workout of WR Dez Bryant. There has been plenty of false reporting surrounding Bryant’s workout from forgetting his cleats – if you take the time to watch the session, he wore three separate pairs for each portion of the workout – to a ‘disappointing’ 40 time: a 4.52 at 220lbs isn’t a disappointment. He looked good catching the ball, especially deep down the field and his routes were typically solid.

What was of equal interest were the comments made by Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy to Mike Mayock when he said that Bryant had only even been late for one meeting, as a true freshman, destroying the notion that he was a habitual breaker of team rules. Bryant then flew from Dallas where he’d been meeting with the Cowboys to a dinner with GM Jeff Ireland, Tony Sparano and WR coach Karl Dorrell before spending part of Friday with Bill Parcells. Check out Omar Kelly’s excellent report about how the Dolphins are more than satisfied with Bryant’s character.

2. Pick 12 at FS.
a) Does Eric Berry make it?
b) Would Miami Trade up?
c) Who else might be in the race?

a) Chris kicked off this section: “We all know the best FS is Berry” to which there was a unanimous agreement. “But is he within reach?”. To which there was unanimous disagreement: “I doubt he makes it out of the Top 10” said Richard. “Oakland” said I.

b) So what about the Dolphins going against the grain and doing something they rarely, if ever do: dealing up? “I don't see it happening” said Richard. But Chris gave us all something to think about: “There’s rumours they we’re looking to trade up to get Spiller. What if Spiller is just the name they floated out there to conceal Berry?” That gave us an internet pause to reflect. But I jumped in with: “I don't see any trade UP for Miami. 12 to 6/7 is going to cost you too much.” Chris however, wasn’t finished: “Ted Ginn, Justin Smiley....Ronnie Brown?. We have ammunition with regards any deal.” It certainly got us thinking: “Ronnie Brown and the 12 to Seattle for the 6 and late change?” “Who knows” said Chris. “Why not cut my hamstring” said Richard.

c) So who else is worth talking about at 12? The first name is Earl Thomas of Texas who we know Miami like. “How good is Earl Thomas?” I asked. “Not good enough to outweigh a OLB at 12 IMO” countered Richard. Point taken, but: “Some teams have Thomas over Berry on their boards. If Miami is one of those teams, chances are they have Thomas over Graham as well. Then what? After all, Mike Mayock said on NFLN about 2 weeks ago that teams were split almost 50/50 on who they liked better.” Chris countered with: “Don't hate me but no I don't think you take an Earl Thomas at #12. If you're taking a safety that high I do prefer he be a complete player and while Thomas is a very valuable player, I don't consider him complete. I think that Earl Thomas plays the ball and the QB's eyes better than anyone not named Eric Berry and even so he might do it better than Eric can. And he can tackle in the open field as a first responder. But, he won't stick his nose in the muck. I've seen him play a lot and he just doesn't do it. He stays in orbit. He's not overly physical.” Richard chimed in: “Judging by the types of safeties we've interviewed, I wonder if Thomas fits the bill, in terms of sheer size and tackling etc.” However, I wasn’t to be outdone: “Playmaking ability. Ball skills, instincts the like of which I’ve not seen in a safety in a long while, ability to play corner on nickel downs and put Culver at FS. Leadership. Great kid off the field. Young. Likely to start immediately. What’s not to like?” We agreed to disagree in that I would happily take Thomas at 12, the other two would be disappointed if we picked him over other players – Bryant, Graham and Jerry Hughes.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:46 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Analyzing the Dolphins draft: Week 11
As always, an awesome, awesome read.....

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Analyzing the Dolphins draft: Week 11
the draft is very deep in NT and S IMHO. We can certainly find one in the 2nd and 3rd. LB is very thin and I think Miami has to look at addressing those needs with the 12th pick. With a year under his belt Cameron Wake will make a very strong case for the position vacated by Porter. I just don't see us improving with Crowder still in the middle.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]