View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 another report: Wallace to Miami DONE DEAL 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post another report: Wallace to Miami DONE DEAL
Quote:
The Palm Beach Post hears from "someone (it) trusts" that free agent Mike Wallace to Miami is a "done deal."
ESPN, Sports Illustrated and USA Today have all insinuated as such over the past 24 hours, making the evidence that Wallace is planning to take his talents to South Beach overwhelming. Wallace's rep could drag talks out on Tuesday for the sake of squeezing a few extra dimes out of an obviously desperate team, but it doesn't appear anyone else has near the desire level to get a deal done.

Break out the champagne fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:15 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: another report: Wallace to Miami DONE DEAL
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
The Palm Beach Post hears from "someone (it) trusts" that free agent Mike Wallace to Miami is a "done deal."
ESPN, Sports Illustrated and USA Today have all insinuated as such over the past 24 hours, making the evidence that Wallace is planning to take his talents to South Beach overwhelming. Wallace's rep could drag talks out on Tuesday for the sake of squeezing a few extra dimes out of an obviously desperate team, but it doesn't appear anyone else has near the desire level to get a deal done.

Break out the champagne fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said in another thread, thank God all the reports of Manning to Miami being a done deal came through... because he's going to be hitting Wallace deep all day.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

but Rich those reports were early free agency rumors about Manning. These reports are in the final hours. They sound a bit more legit.

Sure anything can happen but this sounds for real. Bring on Bjoern Werner now at pick 12!!!!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
but Rich those reports were early free agency rumors about Manning. These reports are in the final hours. They sound a bit more legit.

Sure anything can happen but this sounds for real. Bring on Bjoern Werner now at pick 12!!!!

This is when the poop flys highest and fastest. Lots of teams will say whatever to drive up prices and steer teams away from who they truly want. For all we know Miami has a contract in place with Jennings and has told him to stay quiet.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm

swerve13 wrote:
but Rich those reports were early free agency rumors about Manning.

Not really... remember Manning was released so free agency wasn't really a factor.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Perhaps Ireland is looking for Ernest Wilford to sign him again to another four-year deal worth $13 million with a whopping $6 million signing bonus......

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Finhead34 wrote:
Perhaps Ireland is looking for Ernest Wilford to sign him again to another four-year deal worth $13 million with a whopping $6 million signing bonus......

Yikes stop bringing up these horrifying deals lol

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

Sure anything can happen but this sounds for real.

Exactly, I'm not sure what relevance Manning has to the Wallace discussion. By most reports, the Dolphins were written off in the final week+ prior to Manning deciding to go with Denver.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 pm

The Ryan Clark signing with the Dolphins was imminent as well... and that was WHILE he was at Davie visiting with the Dolphins.

How'd that go?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Ryan Clark signing with the Dolphins was imminent as well... and that was WHILE he was at Davie visiting with the Dolphins.

How'd that go?

It went great, he met Ireland and came away with this great impression of the Miami Dolphins!! :fart:

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Nothing is guaranteed until the contract is signed. I hope they sign Wallace, but I will not celebrate until it is signed, sealed and delivered. Hopefully its a done deal at 4:01 pm tomorrow afternoon.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

How'd that go?

I don't remember reports saying it was imminent the Dolphins were going to sign Clark. He did visit and apparently that didn't go well. I don't know...........maybe I'm wrong. Try finding some reliable sources to back your post up. Better luck this time.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 pm

shularino wrote:
I don't remember reports saying it was imminent the Dolphins were going to sign Clark. He did visit and apparently that didn't go well. I don't know...........maybe I'm wrong. Try finding some reliable sources to back your post up. Better luck this time.

Seeing as how most of these reports happen on twitter or the bottom scroll of the sports network, I'm not sure how I would accomplish that.

If your memory is failing you, that's not my problem. I can't help you there.

The fact still stands that people like Adam Schefter were calling Manning to Miami a done deal and it doesn't matter if it was before or during free agency as Manning was cut so we didn't have to wait for free agency to sign him. Reporters called it a done deal all over Twitter in a couple of days later they were all backtracking.

So, you can continue falling sucker to these types of reports. The only report I'll believe is the one with a press release from the Dolphins saying the signed Mike Wallace.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I was excited when we signed Brandon Marshall too, then he contracted a case of the drops. I'll be happy when I see TDs instead of FGs. Hope Ireland has some great plans in mind refarding other FAs and the draf as well.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mike Wallace highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6RzY7v5g_s

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Finhead34 wrote:

Since Tanny is 17 it would be cool for Wallace to wear 7! It's all meant to be...lol I'm just kidding but I do hope he considers it.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:
I was excited when we signed Brandon Marshall too, then he contracted a case of the drops. I'll be happy when I see TDs instead of FGs. Hope Ireland has some great plans in mind refarding other FAs and the draf as well.

The big difference between Wallace and Marshall is Wallace will require defenses to account for him all the time because of his speed. I expect his presence on the field to back secondaries up and create more opportunities for the rest of the receivers, TE's and RB's. He will draw double coverage or keeps safeties deep that will loosen things up for everyone else. Defenses played red zone coverage for the entire field against Miami last year because they didn't fear 20 yard + pass plays. That changes if Wallace is on the field.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

The big difference between Wallace & Marshall is that Wallace is in the present. Most everyone was pretty psyched when we signed Marshall & then he quickly wore out his welcome sort of like Porter. I hope Wallace just comes in & does his job & is happy no matter what because every 2 weeks when he gets an envelope in it will be an over payment. If he becomes a malcontent & losses keep coming we wont be able to dump him soon enough & opinion here will sour of him very quickly. Remember this date & how hi we are on him.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

bobby0112 wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

The big difference between Wallace and Marshall is Wallace will require defenses to account for him all the time because of his speed. I expect his presence on the field to back secondaries up and create more opportunities for the rest of the receivers, TE's and RB's. He will draw double coverage or keeps safeties deep that will loosen things up for everyone else. Defenses played red zone coverage for the entire field against Miami last year because they didn't fear 20 yard + pass plays. That changes if Wallace is on the field.

The same thing was said about Brandon Marshall. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the possibilities. I just won't get as excited as I did when we signed Marshall until I actually see it working on the field during the regular season. The years have hardened me.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm still hoping the Dolphins choose to add their receiver talent via the draft. Wallace reportedly turned down 5 years and $60M from the Steelers a while back. That makes me nervous.

I just saw on NFL Network that the Vikings might want to make this a bidding war since they just let Harvin go. A bidding war spells $13M a season. That is not good and will come back to burn us.

Its no secret I've never been a fan of us signing Wallace, but I now accept the idea that it is likely going to happen. I just hope we don't do anything stupid and give the kid a Fitzgerald type contract. If we give him anything over $10M I think we're getting ripped off big time.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm still hoping the Dolphins choose to add their receiver talent via the draft. Wallace reportedly turned down 5 years and $60M from the Steelers a while back. That makes me nervous.

I just saw on NFL Network that the Vikings might want to make this a bidding war since they just let Harvin go. A bidding war spells $13M a season. That is not good and will come back to burn us.

Its no secret I've never been a fan of us signing Wallace, but I now accept the idea that it is likely going to happen. I just hope we don't do anything stupid and give the kid a Fitzgerald type contract. If we give him anything over $10M I think we're getting ripped off big time.

pretty much agree.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:

I saw the same thing. Everyone pretty much confirms Miami is the front runner and that they've been anticipating Minnesota getting in the race. Never said 13 million but definitely over 10 and probably 5 years and 60 million to get it done. Wallace was never offered 60 million from the Steelers, it was at most 10 million per year for 4 or 5 years.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

Boom! :yay:

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
The big difference between Wallace & Marshall is that Wallace is in the present. Most everyone was pretty psyched when we signed Marshall & then he quickly wore out his welcome sort of like Porter. I hope Wallace just comes in & does his job & is happy no matter what because every 2 weeks when he gets an envelope in it will be an over payment. If he becomes a malcontent & losses keep coming we wont be able to dump him soon enough & opinion here will sour of him very quickly. Remember this date & how hi we are on him.

Wallace also isn't the retard that Marshall is

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:26 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I can't believe I am saying this but I agree with Rich. Until the pen is put to paper, I am not going to believe that Wallace is coming to the Dolphins. We have a horrible recent history of swinging and missing free agents and coaches.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:15 am

swerve13 wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Wallace also isn't the retard that Marshall is

Please , Marshall was not that when we signed him. He was a misunderstood super star whose antics were only a product for his passion for the game & eagerness to win. All he needed was a change of location and a fresh start. He like all other players with baggage that we sign just needs a second chance. Lets see what opinion is of Wallace in 2 years , especially with the contract he will get.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:36 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

catman_56 wrote:
I can't believe I am saying this but I agree with Rich. Until the pen is put to paper, I am not going to believe that Wallace is coming to the Dolphins. We have a horrible recent history of swinging and missing free agents and coaches.

If Spielman drives up Wallace's price to $13 million, is he really worth that? He's no Fitzgerald. It looks to me that if Ireland is going to save face with Miami fans that he's going to have to pony up.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:37 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

All I am saying is that Marshall was supposed to draw attention and double coverage to free up other WRs and open up the offense. We still kicked a lot of FGs.

I'm not saying the Dolphins shouldn't go after him, I'm just not getting my hopes too high regarding the results.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:41 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

If Spielman drives up Wallace's price to $13 million, is he really worth that? He's no Fitzgerald. It looks to me that if Ireland is going to save face with Miami fans that he's going to have to pony up.

PFT is backing up what WK said about 13 million stating that is what the Dolphins assume Minnesota will offer. Who knows at this point.

If I'm Ireland, I'm calling up the Raiders to see what DHB would cost, then calling the Titans and Eagles to see what Washington and Maclin cost, and finally talking with Jennings' agent. Must have a contingency plan in place and it better not be Brandon Gibson.

Use that leverage against Wallace and make Minnesota feel like they are bidding against themselves.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:25 am

FINesse wrote:
Please , Marshall was not that when we signed him. He was a misunderstood super star whose antics were only a product for his passion for the game & eagerness to win. All he needed was a change of location and a fresh start. He like all other players with baggage that we sign just needs a second chance. Lets see what opinion is of Wallace in 2 years , especially with the contract he will get.

Mitch, I know you like to take the cynical approach to everything, but I think a little objectivity is in order.

Let's review the incidents Brandon Marshall was involved in prior to coming to the Dolphins:

Oct. 31, 2004: During his junior year at Central Florida, Marshall was arrested at a Denny’s restaurant in Orlando, Fla., on charges of assault on a police officer, disorderly conduct, trespass and resisting arrest without violence and refusal to obey. The charges were dismissed.

April 8, 2005: Marshall was charged with retail theft, a misdemeanor, after trying to return a stolen set of bed sheets, valued at $19.99, to a Burlington Coat Factory. The charge was dropped.

June 17, 2006: Marshall and longtime girlfriend Rasheedah Watley both filed police reports alleging physical abuse by the other in a long altercation at an Orlando apartment. No arrests or charges were made.

Jan. 1, 2007: Marshall was at the Denver nightclub Shelter with Broncos teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams, attending a birthday party for Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the group left the club in a limousine, Williams was shot fatally in the neck by an unknown assailant. Walker later said the shooter was likely another man at the nightclub who was seeking retaliation after an altercation with Marshall's cousin that evening. Marshall testified at the trial of gunman Willie Clark that he helped escalate the dispute that led to Williams' death.

Jan. 24, 2007: According to the Denver Post, police interviewed Marshall and his father after an argument in an Orlando parking lot. Marshall claimed his father tried to hit him with his car. His father claimed Marshall had fired a gun. Both men declined to press charges.

March 18, 2007: In Atlanta, Watley told police Marshall punched her and took her purse while in a hotel. Marshall was gone before police arrived. No charges were filed.

March 21, 2007: According to the Denver Post, police in Palm Beach County, Fla., interviewed Marshall and Watley twice in the same night after two loud arguments. Both said the disturbances were not physical in nature. No arrests or charges were made.

March 26, 2007: Marshall was arrested in a Denver suburb on suspicion of domestic violence. Watley reported Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house. Marshall completed anger management counseling and the charges were dropped two months later.

June 8, 2007: According to the Denver Post, two incident reports were filed by Atlanta police. A friend of Watley’s claimed Marshall hit her car and then threw a rock at the passenger door as Watley was riding in the passenger seat. Watley also told police Marshall cut her in the thigh and punched her in the face. She was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. Marshall was not present when police arrived. No charges were filed.

June 30, 2007: According to the Denver Post, Watley told Atlanta police Marshall punched and choked her at his condo. She had a bruise and scratches. Marshall was not present when police arrived. No charges were filed.

Oct. 22, 2007: Marshall was arrested in Denver and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol. He was pulled over driving the wrong way on a one-way street hours after a game. He later pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability-impaired and was sentenced to one year of probation and 24 hours of community service.

March 6, 2008: Marshall was arrested on charges of misdemeanor battery in Atlanta after a dispute with Watley. She told police he punched her in the mouth and eye. Marshall said he cut his hand on glass.

Aug. 6, 2008: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Marshall for three games for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. The suspension was reduced to one regular-season game and a fine of an additional game check, costing him $52,353.

March 1, 2009: Marshall was arrested in Atlanta on disorderly conduct charges after allegedly being involved in a dispute with then-fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell, now his wife. Charges were dropped the next day.

Aug. 14, 2009: Marshall was found not guilty on the battery charges from the March 2008 arrest in Atlanta.

Now, let's look at Mike Wallace's rap sheet.

Wallace held out from all of the team's OTAs, and held out the majority of training camp. He reported on August 28th, 2012

Can we safely say that there simply is no comparison here, Mitch? Do you see a big difference now, since earlier you said there wasn't one?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Wow, that is quite a resume. I realize most of the stuff was dropped but it can't be coincidence or bad luck causing his off field issues to happen that often.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

At 13 million don't you start to look at using your 1st rounder on Victor Cruz

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Seeing as how most of these reports happen on twitter or the bottom scroll of the sports network, I'm not sure how I would accomplish that. If your memory is failing you, that's not my problem. I can't help you there.

Interesting, I thought when a major source made a news worthy report on Twitter, it gets picked up by the major outlets.

By the way, my memory is just fine..........you see, I stick to the truth, so I don't have to try to remember a bunch of BS I've been telling everyone.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 am

shularino wrote:
you see, I stick to the truth

Yes, and the truth in your mind is that this is the 2006 offseason.

Actually, there is an interesting pattern of truths in your mind that are off the mark.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:41 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

I wish it wasn't the case, but if Ireland decides that Wallace isn't worth $13 million a year and passes, then he will look like a failure again.

Ireland's seat continues to get hotter with what the Vikings got for Harvin, a disgruntled WR, compared to what the Dolphins got for Marshall.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Mindtornado wrote:
I wish it wasn't the case, but if Ireland decides that Wallace isn't worth $13 million a year and passes, then he will look like a failure again.

Ireland's seat continues to get hotter with what the Vikings got for Harvin, a disgruntled WR, compared to what the Dolphins got for Marshall.

This is what I don't understand. Last year Ireland admittedly underestimated what Jackson and Garcon were going to get paid. He knows full well that Minnesota or maybe a dark horse team could offer ridiculous money to Wallace. If he deems it too much and opts to give Jennings and Cook 7-8 million dollar deals while adding maybe a free agent corner or tackle that they otherwise would have passed on then why is it a failure?

Trust me, I want Wallace to be a Dolphin but it shouldn't be the end of the world or Ireland's demise. Jennings, Hartline, Cook and Bess would be a heck of a threat to defenses.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:
you see, I stick to the truth

Yes, and the truth in your mind is that this is the 2006 offseason.

Actually, there is an interesting pattern of truths in your mind that are off the mark.

Like what Rich.............that we overpaid to reach Hartline? That seems to be the predominant sentiment. So when I simply say that.............what do you do, badger me with petty comments and posts you can't support.

Listen Man, you're a Blog Writer and Phinfever's Radio Host...........you're supposed to be better than this. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to pick your game up.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:10 pm

shularino wrote:
Listen Man, you're a Blog Writer and Phinfever's Radio Host...........you're supposed to be better than this. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to pick your game up.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm fine and happy right where I am.

My advice to you, if you want to be taken seriously on these boards, trying being less disingenuous. And stop referring to yourself as "we". That's a sign of being certifiable.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but I'm fine and happy right where I am.

Well, it's been said if you lower your expectations, you'll be more pleased with the results.

Rich wrote:
My advice to you, if you want to be taken seriously on these boards, trying being less disingenuous. And stop referring to yourself as "we". That's a sign of being certifiable.

Wow, DISINGENUOUS that's a big word........do you even know what that means? Let's see...........

dis·in·gen·u·ous [dis-in-jen-yoo-uhs]adjective: lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity.

I don't know Rich I've been pretty frank and sincere that your posts are often inaccurate.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:43 pm

jammer wrote:
Trust me, I want Wallace to be a Dolphin but it shouldn't be the end of the world or Ireland's demise. Jennings, Hartline, Cook and Bess would be a heck of a threat to defenses.

Throw a rookie wide receiver in the mix... like maybe Tavon Austin. Jennings would be a stopgap.

I wouldn't mind going the way of the Patriots, where the tight ends are featured either. We'd just need to sign a tight end and draft a tight end.

Ireland will ultimately be judged on whether the team wins more games this year than they did in 2012.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next