View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Omar Kelly's Top 5 potential Dolphins 1st round picks 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Omar Kelly's Top 5 potential Dolphins 1st round picks
"Here is a breakdown of the players I view as the Favorite Five to be Ireland's selections in the first round. In this breakdown we explain why the player fits what Miami is building, and why the pick might not be him.

1. Oklahoma offensive tackle Lane Johnson

The player: He's a top 10 talent, a forceful and physical offensive tackle who is light on his feet, and heavy with his jab step. He's only played one season at left tackle but was dominant in the Senior Bowl when facing this draft's top pass rushers.

Why he fits: He's tall (6-foot-6), lean (302 pounds) and athletic, which is exactly what the Dolphins are looking for in this zone blocking scheme. With Jake Long gone to St. Louis Lane would compete with Jonathan Martin for the left tackle spot, and the loser would start at right tackle or move inside to guard.

Why he won't be: The way this draft is shaping up the three top offensive tackles - Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan's Eric Fisher and Johnson - will be the most indemand players of this entire draft. The odds of all three slipping past Arizona (pick No. 7) and San Diego (No. 11) is unrealistic, and the Dolphins would have to move up to get one. Is Johnson really worth giving up one of the team's two second round picks?

2. Florida State cornerback Xavier Rhodes

The player: He's a 6-foot-1, long armed, athletic cornerback that already calls South Florida home. He excels in press coverage. He's a three-year starter for the Seminoles, who has contributed 140 tackles, eight interceptions and forced three fumbles.

Why he fits: He has the size and length needed to contend with the NFL's bigger receivers, which is something Miami's cornerback unit presently lacks. He's competing with Washington Desmond Trufant and Houston's D.J. Hayden to be the cornerback drafted after Alabama's Dee Milliner, so he'll likely be on the board when the Dolphins are on the clock at pick No. 12.

Why he won't be: This former receiver needs work on his technique, and his zone coverage isn't stellar. He also needs to prove he can stay healthy, especially considering the NFL presents a more physical game than what he faced in the ACC. He's a top 30 talent in this draft, but picking him in the top 15 selections might be reaching.

3. North Carolina offensive guard Jonathan Cooper

The player: This 23-year-old personifies the type of guard a zone blocking scheme needs. He's a superb puller, who often gets to the second level, and can typically be found on his feet.

Why he fits: He's fun to watch, a svelte 290-pounds, and fits one of the team's biggest needs. Put him next to center Mike Pouncey and the Dolphins would have two athletic offensive linemen that could turn the corner on any running play, which would open up the playbook tremendously. Adding Cooper would allow John Jerry to move to tackle, a position which might be a better fit for the 350-pounder. Taking Cooper in the first-round might address two positions in one.

Why he won't be: Offensive guard isn't a premiere position, and even though Cooper and Alabama's Chance Warmack are both first-round talents, picking a guard in the top 15 would be taboo. David Decastro, who was last year's top offensive guard, wasn't selected till Pittsburgh took him with the 24th pick.

4. Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert

The player: The Fighting Irish have a long standing history of producing quality NFL tight ends, and Eifert might be the best of the accomplished bunch. Eifert has started 34 games for Notre Dame, catching 140 passes for 1,840 yards and scoring 11 touchdowns.

Why he fits: Eifert has a solid frame (6-foot-5, 255 pounds), a tremendous catching radius, and has shown that he's a decent blocker in 2012. The Dolphins only signed Dustin Keller to a one-year deal, and they'll need a tight end to block considering that's not Keller's strength. Charles Clay and Michael Egnew also haven't proven they can be solid in-line blockers.

Why he won't be: Only three tight ends - Vernon Davis (sixth pick in 2006), Kellen Winslow Jr. (sixth pick in 2004), and Jeremy Shockey (14th pick in 2002) - have been taken in the draft's first 15 selections this past decade. And Eifert doesn't have the same athleticism as the previous three. The Dolphins could also upgrade the position with a second, third or fourth-round target.

5. West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin

The player: Austin was the most explosive player in college football last season. He's an elusive open-field runner, who split time at tailback and receiver to produce 29 touchdowns in his four seasons with the Mountaineers. He's caught 215 passes for 2,475 yards the past two seasons.

Why he fits: Despite his troublesome lack of size (5-foot-8, 173 pounds) Austin is the type of player you build an offense around. He's the type of Percy Harvin-like talent who would make Miami's offense more dynamic if paired with Mike Wallace.

Why he won't be: He's a gimmick of an offensive player, one who would need plays drawn up for him. What happens to the offense when he's not available? Austin is not a refined route runner, and would be a non-factor as a blocker if used in the backfield. There's also concern that a team would have to limit his touches because of the physical nature of the NFL. He's 25-pounds lighter than Harvin. The Dolphins already have solid slot receiver in Davone Bess, and receiver isn't necessarily a need considering Brandon Gibson was signed this offseason, so selecting Austin in the first round would be luxury for a team that is starving at other positions (OT, OG, TE, DE, CB, FS, RB are bigger needs).

So....after seeing the players I view as the Favorite Five for a Ireland pick which one would you pull the trigger on in the first round, and why?"

G.G.G.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Omar Kelly's Top 5 potential Dolphins 1st round picks
Well, I guess it's a safe bet that we aren't picking any of those guys then.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:22 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Sorry, but they're not getting away with taking Cooper at 12. No way in hell that's the pick, IMO.

Eifert is just a safe, solid selection. Nothing overly sexy, but he'll be a really good player at a really dynamic position. He's my favorite right now to be picked, just based on process of elimination.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

"(OT, OG, TE, DE, CB, FS, RB are bigger needs)."

That a nice list of needs for Miami. That is why I favor not trading up to get an OLT/ORT.

This is a quote from ProFootballWeekly.com.

"The guard and tackle groups are excellent, rich in talent at both spots."

Does not mean Miami may not trade up, but I would have no problem with Miami staying pat and using all of their 11 picks.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

"Vernon Davis (sixth pick in 2006), Kellen Winslow Jr. (sixth pick in 2004), and Jeremy Shockey (14th pick in 2002) - have been taken in the draft's first 15 selections this past decade."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but two of those three were underachievers in the NFL.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:03 pm
Profile WWW

cspooner13 wrote:
"Vernon Davis (sixth pick in 2006), Kellen Winslow Jr. (sixth pick in 2004), and Jeremy Shockey (14th pick in 2002) - have been taken in the draft's first 15 selections this past decade."

Mostly due to being idiots.

Eifert doesn't have those concerns.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I won't be shocked if Miami doesn't make tight end a priority in this draft after signing Keller, and considering that they spent 2 recent picks on tight ends. I could see them waiting til next year.

I would be a proponent of drafting Escobar in round 2 but not sure if they would do that anymore.
They might wait til round 5 for Ryan Otten.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:

I'm not advocating taking him, but it is interesting that TE is considered more important now than it was even as recently as 2006. It would make sense that people start picking them higher.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

degs wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

I'm not advocating taking him, but it is interesting that TE is considered more important now than it was even as recently as 2006. It would make sense that people start picking them higher.

It does make sense to start giving these guys a real hard look. That being said, I still have my qualms about drafting one so high, especially when we have other, more glaring needs

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A TE like Eifert would be a nice security blanket for a young QB like Tannehill.....

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
degs wrote:

It does make sense to start giving these guys a real hard look. That being said, I still have my qualms about drafting one so high, especially when we have other, more glaring needs

We are on the exact same page with this one.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:39 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

phinsfansc wrote:

But I thought that after the big three tackles the only thing left were turnstyles and matadors...

But what does PFW know...

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IF Miami selects Eifert, he would be a day one starter and based on Miami's first round selection history, I think he is a safe pick that will give Tannehill plenty of help.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:

Actually Davis took several years and an arse chewing & being sent to the locker room by Singletary before he started producing. He was borderline bust until then.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

But I thought that after the big three tackles the only thing left were turnstyles and matadors...

They're referring to Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Warmack and Cooper.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

They're referring to Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Warmack and Cooper.

They are referring to more than just those individuals you named swerve. If that was the case, you don't come out and state talent is RICH. They would be stating talent is thin at the positions.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

That's not even mentioning my guy Terron Armstead

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
IF Miami selects Eifert, he would be a day one starter and based on Miami's first round selection history, I think he is a safe pick that will give Tannehill plenty of help.

Only if he can stay vertical long enough to throw the ball

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It is "talent-rich" when 5 of the top 10 best players are linemen. That's what's drawing all the headlines. But most of the 2nd and 3rd round linemen are guards, not tackles. If you want a starting caliber tackle which is the superior position to guard, better get one early.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:23 am

swerve13 wrote:
It is "talent-rich" when 5 of the top 10 best players are linemen. That's what's drawing all the headlines. But most of the 2nd and 3rd round linemen are guards, not tackles. If you want a starting caliber tackle which is the superior position to guard, better get one early.

:hithead:

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:27 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Degs, I couldn't agree with you more. If Miami decides to draft play makers on offense early, there are still immediate veterans available like Branden Albert and Eric Winston to plug in to help keep Tannehill upright.

I am very interested to see which way Ireland goes as of right now, it is anyone's guess.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:

Degs, I couldn't agree with you more. If Miami decides to draft play makers on offense early, there are still immediate veterans available like Branden Albert and Eric Winston to plug in to help keep Tannehill upright.

I am very interested to see which way Ireland goes as of right now, it is anyone's guess.

Yes, but any FA can be signed at any moment. It is a risk not signing them if you want them. Best to get them in board and give yourself complete flexibility.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

How about Shariff Floyd......

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]