View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Grimes leaning towards Miami? 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Grimes leaning towards Miami?
Quote:
Grimes leaning towards Miami?
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com
The pursuit of free agent CB Brent Grimes has had a number of twists and turns. At first, it seemed like he would be back with Atlanta, then the Miami Dolphins emerged, then the Cleveland Browns appeared to have an edge based on their willingness to offer a multi-year deal. But as the days lingered with that reported deal still on the table, there was skepticism that he'd go to Cleveland, while another report indicated that Miami was definitely still in the mix.

As of Wednesday night, it appears that Grimes may actually now be leaning towards Miami. From Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports: "Dolphins still not done in free agency - very much in on CB Brent Grimes, who played on franchise tag in '12. could land there soon."

The use of the word "could" obviously gives this an air of not being a done deal yet. But it appears that things are starting to wrap up on this front.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/post?id=4063

Looks like the Dolphins might sign Grimes. While I'm nervous about his injuries, I'm hopeful he's recovered and can return to form. If he's the same player he was before the injury then the Dolphins are getting an immediate starter and a possible impact player.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Grimes leaning towards Miami?
It would go completely against Ireland's MO. That said, I'd love the signing. Very good, young player. The injury is a little bit of a concern, but he's a nice scheme fit and should be relatively affordable on a short term deal.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think CB is our biggest need right now. I would love to sign this guy and still draft a few CBs early. I want to see less of Nolan Carroll next year, not have him start!

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pass.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Pass.

Even if he passes his physical, looks good in his drills, and is willing to sign for cheap?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This is a list of the current Miami Dolphin CBs.

Carroll, Nolan
Marshall, Richard
Patterson, Dimitri
Posey, Julian
Presley, De'Andre

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
It would go completely against Ireland's MO. That said, I'd love the signing. Very good, young player. The injury is a little bit of a concern, but he's a nice scheme fit and should be relatively affordable on a short term deal.

I think we might be seeing Jeff change up his so called MO. I think Grimes would be a nice signing if the deal is good for the Dolphins. The injury is my concern, but he was a good enough of a player for the Falcons to put the Franchise Tag on him in 2012.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Pass.

Even if he passes his physical, looks good in his drills, and is willing to sign for cheap?

It's time to go young via the draft. If they want another average, veteran player with some injury history they have that on the roster already.

Since the draft is rich with DB's, we can try to attempt another VD/Smith situation.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Since the draft is rich with DB's, we can try to attempt another VD/Smith situation.

I would like that, but would be nice to have Brent Grimes to fill in if one doesn't work out or is injured.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Pass.

It's time to go young via the draft. If they want another average, veteran player with some injury history they have that on the roster already.

That is all the Dolphins have done in FA, go young. I think we all expect the Dolphins to take multiple CB's in this draft. Grimes is not a relic, as he is 29 and will turn 30 in July. The Dolphins could use a veteran presence and Grimes is still a solid CB.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
That is all the Dolphins have done in FA, go young. I think we all expect the Dolphins to take multiple CB's in this draft. Grimes is not a relic, as he is 29 and will turn 30 in July. The Dolphins could use a veteran presence and Grimes is still a solid CB.

Agreed. One solid veteran CB to start the year and draft two young guys to groom. If the reports are true, Grimes would be just that, a 1 year bandaid. I don't see why people would object to that -- it's just smart to hedge your bets.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Pass.

I agree 100% with going young and doing something similar to when we drafted Davis and Smith. But what if we signed Grimes to a one year deal, and still drafted two corners in the first two rounds? You could then have a situation where Grimes and Patterson would battle with the two rookies for the starting jobs. The best two players play. Then, next season when Grimes contract is up, we'll either let him walk or try to retain him on another short term deal depending on how the younger players look.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Agreed. One solid veteran CB to start the year and draft two young guys to groom. If the reports are true, Grimes would be just that, a 1 year bandaid. I don't see why people would object to that -- it's just smart to hedge your bets.

I agree, let Grimes and Patterson battle with a pair of rookies for the two starting jobs. Then next season you can either re-sign Grimes or draft another rookie and repeat the competitive process.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

just got text from ESPN saying Grimes signed with Miami on 1yr deal

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]