View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Cap Situation Going Into the Draft 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Cap Situation Going Into the Draft
Resource - Overthecap.com

The Dolphins currently have 64 players under contract. But only the 51 highest cap numbers count against the cap.

So while the Dolphins have over $122 million in contracts on the books for 2013, the top 51 contracts count $116.5 million against the cap.

With about $3.2 in deap money, that means the Dolphins are using up $119.7 million of cap space.

The salary cap is estimated to be at around $123 million. But that doesn't mean the Dolphins only have $3.3 million in cap space.

They actually rolled over about $5 million from last year, so they have over $8 million in cap space remaining.

Even though it appears the Dolphins are done in free agency, they do still have a little bit of money left to spend. Keep in mind that about $6 million will need to be allocated towards rookie contracts.

However, there still exists the possibility of creating additional cap space by terminating the contracts of Dmitri Patterson ($4.6 million in cap space) and/or Richard Marshall ($3.4 million in cap space). Davone Bess could be cut or traded and it would open up $2.68 million in cap space as well, though at this point the Dolphins haven't moved him. They could be quietly trying to work out a trade or waiting to see if they are able to take another wide receiver in the draft before making a decision on Bess.

Other possibilities for termination, although I would consider these longshots at the moment, are Richie Incognito ($4.3 million in cap space) and Dan Carpenter ($2.7 million in cap space).

Also, please keep in mind that Kevin Burnett and Karlos Dansby were designated as June 1st cuts, so currently, they still count against the cap, but on June 1st this will open up almost $10 million in additional cap space.

If no one else is signed or released, on June 1st, assuming the Dolphins sign all of their rookies, they will have roughly $12 million in cap space left to potentially sign free agents that are available after June 1st. They'll assess if there are still any needs that were not addressed in free agency or the draft and move to address them.

After June 1st, free agents will usually be available for cheaper than prior to the draft. Unless the Dolphins trade away picks, they should be able to address all of their remaining needs and I don't foresee them being very active after June 1st.

So the Dolphins could conceivably roll over as much as $12 million in cap space for 2014, which will be helpful as many of the contracts they executed this offseason balloon in 2014.

That being said, after June 1st might be the perfect opportunity to sign Reshad Jones to an extension.

Speaking of 2014, with 52 players under contract and the salary cap expected to remain flat ($123 million), the Dolphins have $116.7 million in commitments. That $12 million will be helpful in helping the Dolphins manage the cap in 2014. They won't be major players in free agency, but hopefully with the players they've signed this offseason and the players they are about to draft, they won't need to be.

They're in good shape for 2014 to stand pat and bring an additional free agent or two without needing to restructure any of the existing contracts.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:27 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Cap Situation Going Into the Draft
The Fins and Ireland did a great job with their cap space this offseason, and going into the next season as it looks like once again they'll be able to allocate some of the unused cap space.

I say go ahead and sign one of these FA OT(Winston, Clabo) before or during the draft so they have even more flexibility with their picks. They can be 2-3 year options for the Fins as they continue building the OLine with players that can suceed as zone style blockers.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:42 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Only 3 million in dead cap...That is pretty impressive..

And i could see us drafted a kicker and letting Carpenter go...

Patterson is someone i'm thinking they believe in....He looked good for a couple games here. The cap money is a little high but it looks like he has a job to lose at this point

Last edited by Kev1321 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:48 pm

keebler_kahn wrote:
The Fins and Ireland did a great job with their cap space this offseason, and going into the next season as it looks like once again they'll be able to allocate some of the unused cap space.

I say go ahead and sign one of these FA OT(Winston, Clabo) before or during the draft so they have even more flexibility with their picks. They can be 2-3 year options for the Fins as they continue building the OLine with players that can suceed as zone style blockers.

I doubt they'll sign either Winston or Clabo unless they can get them for cheap... like less than $3 million.

Given the $8 million in cap space, $6 of which will go towards rookies, there isn't a lot of flexibility to spend more.

The strategy is to roll over significant cap space to 2014, which is why Burnett and Dansby were designated June 1st cuts.

They could have opened that additional cap space by not designating them, but they'd then be tighter in 2014 and take a larger dead cap hit due to the accelerated bonuses.

As far as cutting Patterson or Marshall to free up space for a tackle, I don't see it happening.

Obviously, Patterson is on the roster because they like him, even if he does cost $4.6 million. Granted if they are able to get the cornerbacks they target in the draft, you'll probably see Patterson restructured or cut. But at this point, they aren't ready to create more holes at a position of need if they don't have to.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

There is also the possibility of coming to a long term deal with Randy Starks to free up some more cap space.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:45 pm

pauspe wrote:
There is also the possibility of coming to a long term deal with Randy Starks to free up some more cap space.

Yes, but I wouldn't bet on it. Starks is 30 or will be 30. Soliai is in the last year of his contract and getting up there in age as well.

If the Dolphins look at defensive tackle in the draft, it would indicate that they are in the process of revamping the interior of the defensive line. Also, there is the possibility that future plans include sliding Odrick inside to take over for Starks.

It sucks that these good players have to get old and decline so quickly... but when it hits, it usually happens fast, especially at defensive tackle.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
pauspe wrote:

Yes, but I wouldn't bet on it. Starks is 30 or will be 30. Soliai is in the last year of his contract and getting up there in age as well.

If the Dolphins look at defensive tackle in the draft, it would indicate that they are in the process of revamping the interior of the defensive line. Also, there is the possibility that future plans include sliding Odrick inside to take over for Starks.

It sucks that these good players have to get old and decline so quickly... but when it hits, it usually happens fast, especially at defensive tackle.

I've been wondering about this. They have Starks, Soliai and Odrick up at the end of this year and Kheeston Randall as some added depth. Odrick is the youngest of the three and would seem to be a good Starks replacement. If, and I say IF, guys like Shariff Floyd and Star Lotuleilei are sitting there at 12 do people think Miami would pull trigger? What if the big 3 OTs and Milliner are off the board. They can still get CBs and OTs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:13 pm

jammer wrote:
I've been wondering about this. They have Starks, Soliai and Odrick up at the end of this year and Kheeston Randall as some added depth. Odrick is the youngest of the three and would seem to be a good Starks replacement. If, and I say IF, guys like Shariff Floyd and Star Lotuleilei are sitting there at 12 do people think Miami would pull trigger? What if the big 3 OTs and Milliner are off the board. They can still get CBs and OTs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Odrick is signed through 2014.

If Floyd were to fall, it wouldn't suprise me if the Dolphins drafted him.

However, if they shifted Odrick inside, he'd fit Randy Starks role, so you'd need that plugger that takes up two blockers like Soliai. Good fits might be Kwame Geathers or Brandon Moore.

The Dolphins reportedly brought in Jose Jose (yes that is his name) for a visit, but he's got questionable character. They'll definitely be looking for the next Paul Soliai, though.

And remember, Paul didn't exactly get off to a good start his 1st two seasons.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Other possibilities for termination, although I would consider these longshots at the moment, are Richie Incognito ($4.3 million in cap space) and Dan Carpenter ($2.7 million in cap space).

It is always possible to restructure their contracts to free up a portion of the $7m those two guys represent.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:12 pm

degs wrote:
Quote:

It is always possible to restructure their contracts to free up a portion of the $7m those two guys represent.

It is, but they'd have to be careful with how they structure the 2nd year of those extensions.

I don't see it happening.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
degs wrote:
Quote:

It is, but they'd have to be careful with how they structure the 2nd year of those extensions.

I don't see it happening.

I haven't looked at their deals. I used to be very into the cap situation (as you well know), but haven't been into any of the details ever since I moved. My point is that there are options beyond cutting the guys.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think Miami will end up trading Bess which would free up $2.68 Million.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think this talk of letting Carpenter go is pure lunacy. The guy had a down year (for him) this year, granted, but he is very young and had been solid for us. Guys have down years, even the best. If he struggled again this year, I would consider it, but not yet.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:26 pm

degs wrote:
I haven't looked at their deals. I used to be very into the cap situation (as you well know), but haven't been into any of the details ever since I moved. My point is that there are options beyond cutting the guys.

Incognito is not a scheme fit. I don't see him in the longterm plans.

And again, the Dolphins are going to be up against it in 2014 if they add any more contracts.

The Dolphins will probably look to draft Incognito's replacement in this draft.

Carpenter is a kicker.

Nuff said.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:23 am

Phin wrote:
I think this talk of letting Carpenter go is pure lunacy.

Yes... pure unadulterated insanity to get cheaper and younger at a position that is very interchangeable and replaceable.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
degs wrote:

Incognito is not a scheme fit. I don't see him in the longterm plans.

And again, the Dolphins are going to be up against it in 2014 if they add any more contracts.

The Dolphins will probably look to draft Incognito's replacement in this draft.

Carpenter is a kicker.

Nuff said.

I was thinking the same thing about Incognito. Could be another one of those surprises that are coming, kinda like the surprises of moving both Dansby and Burnett.

Watching this draft should be lots of fun....

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]