View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Some Corners I'd like to see us target in rounds 2 thru 4 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Some Corners I'd like to see us target in rounds 2 thru 4
1. Jamar Taylor - Boise St.
He's a great size and speed guy. Has seen his stock rise since a great senior bowl week. Smooth, fluid athlete. Does a great job of tracking the ball and getting it at it's highest point. Can redirect and dominate receivers. I believe his name will be called in the top 40 picks.

2. Robert Alford - SE Louisiana
an older corner for a rookie, possesses tremendous speed and athleticism. Has amazing closing speed. Competes for balls downfield. Looked absolutely dominant at times during his senior year. There have been some rumors floated about maturity issues and football smarts. Obviously more of an athlete than a technician. Has seen his stock rise into the 2nd round.

3. Darius Slay - Miss. St.
The lesser known Bulldog corner, but will probably go ahead of his teammate Johnthan Banks, somewhere in round 2. Slay caught the eyes of scouts when they were looking at game tape of Banks. Has great size and speed. Has long arms which he uses to his advantage to disrupt the pass and gain leverage. Great run defender too.

4. D.J. Hayden - Houston
Hayden has a rare heart condition that almost cost him his life.
But apparently he's been given clearance to play football. The fastest rising corner in the draft. Once considered a 3rd day pick, Hayden is now being talked about in round 2. Hayden is very fluid in his back pedal with excellent quickness to close on targets and locate the football.

5. Leon McFadden - San Diego St.
an aggressive corner with short area burst. His fluid hips help him transition from pedal to close. His toughness makes up for his lack of ideal size. Has a nose for the ball and great hands to go with it.
A very solid 3rd round guy.

6. Jordan Poyer - Oregon St.
While not the fastest corner available, he is a very solid corner with great instincts. Has the versatility to play man or zone. Able to read QB's eyes and react to the flight of the ball as evidenced by his 7 interceptions his senior year. Would be a steal after the top 75 picks.

7. Brandon McGee - Miami
at nearly 6'0" 197 lbs. he's a big physical corner with quick feet and fluid hips.
Been timed at 4.38 speed. McGee had an up-and-down senior season, and was targeted and beaten often. Does a good job breaking up passes. He was able to rebound his stock with a strong week of practices at the East-West Shrine Game. His arrow is pointing up as a high-ceiling type prospect. Would be an ideal pick at the bottom of round 3 or top of round 4.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:29 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Some Corners I'd like to see us target in rounds 2 thru 4
Quote:
1. Jamar Taylor - Boise St.
He's a great size and speed guy. Has seen his stock rise since a great senior bowl week. Smooth, fluid athlete. Does a great job of tracking the ball and getting it at it's highest point. Can redirect and dominate receivers. I believe his name will be called in the top 40 picks.

I like this kid if he is there in round 2. He's a good system fit for the Dolphins.

I do have concerns about run support, though.

Quote:
2. Robert Alford - SE Louisiana
an older corner for a rookie, possesses tremendous speed and athleticism. Has amazing closing speed. Competes for balls downfield. Looked absolutely dominant at times during his senior year. There have been some rumors floated about maturity issues and football smarts. Obviously more of an athlete than a technician. Has seen his stock rise into the 2nd round.

Great athlete, but I think I would pass in the 2nd round. Even bigger concern in regards to run support than Jamar Taylor.

Quote:
3. Darius Slay - Miss. St.
The lesser known Bulldog corner, but will probably go ahead of his teammate Johnthan Banks, somewhere in round 2. Slay caught the eyes of scouts when they were looking at game tape of Banks. Has great size and speed. Has long arms which he uses to his advantage to disrupt the pass and gain leverage. Great run defender too.

I like how he plays the ball... when he plays the ball. I'm not sure he is a great fit in a zone scheme because he seems to be slow to read the pass coming out and break on the ball.

Quote:
4. D.J. Hayden - Houston
Hayden has a rare heart condition that almost cost him his life.
But apparently he's been given clearance to play football. The fastest rising corner in the draft. Once considered a 3rd day pick, Hayden is now being talked about in round 2. Hayden is very fluid in his back pedal with excellent quickness to close on targets and locate the football.

If medically cleared, I like him better than the prospects you listed at 2 and 3. He does play well in run support and plays the ball well. Good fit in a zone scheme.

Quote:
5. Leon McFadden - San Diego St.
an aggressive corner with short area burst. His fluid hips help him transition from pedal to close. His toughness makes up for his lack of ideal size. Has a nose for the ball and great hands to go with it.
A very solid 3rd round guy.

Good zone defender but what might be a lack of top end speed concerns me. Even in zones you sometimes wind up matched up one on one on the outside against a wideout going vertical with no over the top help.

Quote:
6. Jordan Poyer - Oregon St.
While not the fastest corner available, he is a very solid corner with great instincts. Has the versatility to play man or zone. Able to read QB's eyes and react to the flight of the ball as evidenced by his 7 interceptions his senior year. Would be a steal after the top 75 picks.

Not convinced about him. I'd pass.

Quote:
7. Brandon McGee - Miami
at nearly 6'0" 197 lbs. he's a big physical corner with quick feet and fluid hips.
Been timed at 4.38 speed. McGee had an up-and-down senior season, and was targeted and beaten often. Does a good job breaking up passes. He was able to rebound his stock with a strong week of practices at the East-West Shrine Game. His arrow is pointing up as a high-ceiling type prospect. Would be an ideal pick at the bottom of round 3 or top of round 4.

Everyone knows how I feel about players from the U being poorly coached. I think McGee is a darkhorse and a player worth looking at in the 4th. Will take some time to develop as he'd have to break some bad habits that his college coaches never addressed. He's got all the physical tools, just needs better technique.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:14 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I like all those cornerbacks to some degree, and as Rich has pointed out, they have their strengths and weaknesses. D.J Hayden is the wildcard to me. I do like everything I have seen on him so far as he has the size and ball skills that you want in a CB. Mike Mayock likes him so much that he has him rated 3rd behind Milliner and Rhodes.

The only concern, and it is a big one is the rare heart condition that he does have. Teams have to feel comfortable with that condition before they pull the trigger on him.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay warns to not be surprised if Houston CB D.J. Hayden is selected int he first-round.
We hate using this word, but this is quite a rise for Hayden. His tape is excellent, using very quick closing speed while locating the football to disrupt the catch point. However, teams rarely take prospects in the first-round with drastic health concerns. It was a freak injury, but will nonetheless concern some teams.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'd take Johnthan Banks and David Amerson in the 2nd round and call it good for the secondary. Both guys are excellent in zone, have elite size for the position, and have a proven track record of creating turnovers. These guys are absolute ballhawks. While there are questions about their ability to play in press coverage (something they weren't asked to do much in college), they are lights out in zone, and are still more than capable of developing their press skills because of their natural abilities. I think both of these kids have excellent potential to be real playmakers in Coyle's defense. They're both Jim Thorpe Award winners for peet sake. If you look at the list of guys that have won that award, you'd see that these two have some elite company. For a pair of 2nd round picks I think we could set our secondary up to be one of the best in the NFL.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay warns to not be surprised if Houston CB D.J. Hayden is selected int he first-round.
We hate using this word, but this is quite a rise for Hayden. His tape is excellent, using very quick closing speed while locating the football to disrupt the catch point. However, teams rarely take prospects in the first-round with drastic health concerns. It was a freak injury, but will nonetheless concern some teams.

McShay has Rhodes listed as an overated player and don't believe he is a 1st round talent...And he is very surprised to hear him rumored at 12 to the Dolphins...

He thinks Xavier Rhodes is a late second round talent...

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

A. Xavier Rhodes, CB. He’s the most popular pick in the mock drafts (CNNSI.com’s Don Banks, ESPN’s Todd McShay, Sun-Sentinel’s Omar Kelly) for an obvious reason of need meets talent.

Kev, it seems reports have Todd McShay saying he also likes Rhodes. This was something Rich posted from David Hyde.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:06 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
A. Xavier Rhodes, CB. He’s the most popular pick in the mock drafts (CNNSI.com’s Don Banks, ESPN’s Todd McShay, Sun-Sentinel’s Omar Kelly) for an obvious reason of need meets talent.

Kev, it seems reports have Todd McShay saying he also likes Rhodes. This was something Rich posted from David Hyde.

That's funny..On nfl live espn he said the above. :)

He was talking to Kiper. They each picked 3 players that didn't belong in the 1st...

More bad press.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Kev1321 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

McShay has Rhodes listed as an overated player and don't believe he is a 1st round talent...And he is very surprised to hear him rumored at 12 to the Dolphins...

He thinks Xavier Rhodes is a late second round talent...

Todd McShay is in the minority, but what's new.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]