View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Big Ben: 'Fins WR Mike Wallace no 'one-trick pony' 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Big Ben: 'Fins WR Mike Wallace no 'one-trick pony'
The knock on new Miami Dolphins receiver Mike Wallace is no state secret. His speed is top-shelf, but he's still seen by his critics as an incomplete pass-catcher.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Wallace's former teammate, says the "one-trick pony" tag is pure nonsense.

"Mike is way more," Roethlisberger told TheFinsiders on Thursday. "It's to Mike's credit. Mike is really focused on becoming a better receiver. So he's focused on his route running. He's focused on running out-routes, and curl-routes, and in-routes and doing all the little things that's required to become a great wide receiver. That's why he, to me, is one of the best in the league, because he not only has that speed -- he can run by anybody -- but he can (run) routes and he can get open."

Wallace -- who hit the open market at the perfect time -- earned a king's ransom from Miami that makes him the NFL's third highest-paid wideout behind Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

Nobody questions where those two rank among their peers, but Wallace is on the hook to prove he's more than a straight-line deep threat. Keep in mind that two Steelers pass-catchers had more receptions than Wallace in 2012. The Dolphins are betting $60 million that won't be an issue in 2013.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:21 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Big Ben: 'Fins WR Mike Wallace no 'one-trick pony'
nfl.com wrote:
Big Ben: 'Fins WR Mike Wallace no 'one-trick pony'
By Marc Sessler

The knock on new Miami Dolphins receiver Mike Wallace is no state secret. His speed is top-shelf, but he's still seen by his critics as an incomplete pass-catcher.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Wallace's former teammate, says the "one-trick pony" tag is pure nonsense.

"Mike is way more," Roethlisberger told TheFinsiders on Thursday. "It's to Mike's credit. Mike is really focused on becoming a better receiver. So he's focused on his route running. He's focused on running out-routes, and curl-routes, and in-routes and doing all the little things that's required to become a great wide receiver. That's why he, to me, is one of the best in the league, because he not only has that speed -- he can run by anybody -- but he can (run) routes and he can get open."

Wallace -- who hit the open market at the perfect time -- earned a king's ransom from Miami that makes him the NFL's third highest-paid wideout behind Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

Nobody questions where those two rank among their peers, but Wallace is on the hook to prove he's more than a straight-line deep threat. Keep in mind that two Steelers pass-catchers had more receptions than Wallace in 2012. The Dolphins are betting $60 million that won't be an issue in 2013

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... trick-pony

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Big Ben: 'Fins WR Mike Wallace no 'one-trick pony'
Really Dave? I posted this yesterday, your a day late...lol

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Makchell wrote:

Nobody questions where those two rank among their peers, but Wallace is on the hook to prove he's more than a straight-line deep threat. Keep in mind that two Steelers pass-catchers had more receptions than Wallace in 2012. The Dolphins are betting $60 million that won't be an issue in 2013.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

God I hope Wallace silences all the critics! I can't stand all of this talk about how he only does one thing well. Did Vincent Jackson get all of this hate last year with Tampa? I don't remember but Wallace is going to need a year like V Jack to shut these people up!

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I think what Ben is trying to say is that Mike is a great receiver and Todd Haley messed everything up this year. Bring my best receiver back and get rid of Haley!!! LOL

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:06 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I think what Ben is trying to say is that Mike is a great receiver and Todd Haley messed everything up this year. Bring my best receiver back and get rid of Haley!!! LOL

You know, this is a good point.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
Really Dave? I posted this yesterday, your a day late...lol

Hey, I was busy getting hosed yesterday. I'm a day late on everything!

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

Big Ben on Wallace: Steelers will miss him, Dolphins are lucky

Quote:
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger thinks the Dolphins are going to get their money’s worth from their five-year, $60 million contract with receiver Mike Wallace.

Roethlisberger told TheFinsiders.com that Wallace is a complete receiver, and much more than just a deep threat with great speed.

“Mike is way more,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s to Mike’s credit. Mike is really focused on becoming a better receiver. So he’s focused on his route running. He’s focused on running out-routes, and curl-routes, and in-routes and doing all the little things that’s required to become a great wide receiver. That’s why he, to me, is one of the best in the league, because he not only has that speed – he can run by anybody – but he can run routes and he can get open. That’s why we’re going to miss him, and the Dolphins are lucky to have him.”

Roethlisberger added that Wallace will be a strong presence in the Dolphins’ locker room.

“He’s a great teammate, obviously a great player, but I thought he was even better off the field. Just a great guy, great teammate. Miami is very lucky to have him because he’s a great player,” Roethlisberger said.

Wallace will need to be every bit as great as Roethlisberger says he is to be worth the money the Dolphins are paying him.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]