View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Ireland on whether Jonathan Martin is the future LT for Fins 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ireland on whether Jonathan Martin is the future LT for Fins
Quote:
Ireland on whether Jonathan Martin is the future left tackle for the Dolphins: "I’m going to let my coaching staff pretty much decide at the end of this process where Jonathan Martin plays. I think what we do have is a flexible player, a versatile player that can play left, that can play right. I think his development has been good. I think he’s got a long way to go to play right or left to be a really, really good player. That’s what we want him to be. Obviously, we have all of our options open. There’s still free agents on the street. There’s still guys in the trade market that are available and then we have the Draft that’s two weeks away that certainly we could go that route as well. Obviously, I think we’ll probably be active in maybe one of those pieces and maybe more.”

Ireland's really saying: I don't know what Martin is. I know he played left tackle better than he played right tackle, but it all depends on what we can find in this draft. We want him to become a premiere left tackle, but we have considers whether he's strong enough to consistently block the Aldon Smith's of the NFL. He needs to get better at setting. I have options. Trading for Brenden Albert is still a possibility, and there are some very good left tackles available in the draft. We'll see what happens. I can always sign Eric Winston if I'm left empty handed."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 1935.story

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Ireland on whether Jonathan Martin is the future LT for Fins
Not a ringing endorsement

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't think any of us are confident with the idea of Martin as our future at LT

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

cspooner13 wrote:
I don't think any of us are confident with the idea of Martin as our future at LT

If Martin turns out to be a bust, then I can honestly say that Ireland's track record with second and third rounders is just as bad as his predecessors, if not worse.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Hopefully, Branden Albert can be had for a 3rd or 4th round pick. I still say snag him and then still draft another strong offensive lineman in the draft. He is only 28 years old and he will certainly help Tannehill to stay better protected.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

So we will either draft a RT, trade for a RT, move Martin to RT...
Or sign a FA RT

Thank you Jeff... LMAO

:fart:

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

If Martin turns out to be a bust, then I can honestly say that Ireland's track record with second and third rounders is just as bad as his predecessors, if not worse.

Not sure that is accurate. Langford, Smith, and Misi have turned out to be good picks.

Far too early to have any definitive opinion on Martin, Vernon or Egnew.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:46 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I certainly have my concerns about Martin, but this is not anything from a technical or technique standpoint that Jonathan needs to improve. He just needs to improve his power to handle the bull rush. That is his MAIN problem and what I saw him get beat with more than anything.

By the way, POWER is a problem for Lane Johnson as well as the folks from ProFootballWeekly pointed out.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

but this is not anything from a technical or technique standpoint that Jonathan needs to improve. He just needs to improve his power to handle the bull rush. That is his MAIN problem and what I saw him get beat with more than anything.

Tony, I am just curious to why you feel he doesn't also struggle with his technique? Did you read something that analyzed this? I am just asking out of curiosity as it is a given he isn't strong enough, but I am also wondering if he isn't struggling with his NFL level line technique as well.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:23 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
but this is not anything from a technical or technique standpoint that Jonathan needs to improve. He just needs to improve his power to handle the bull rush. That is his MAIN problem and what I saw him get beat with more than anything.

Tony, I am just curious to why you feel he doesn't also struggle with his technique? Did you read something that analyzed this? I am just asking out of curiosity as it is a given he isn't strong enough, but I am also wondering if he isn't struggling with his NFL level line technique as well.

Fin, there are things that proper technique can help you with, being able to handle speed being one of them. Stanford has been a very solid program since Jim Harbaugh was the HC their and David Shaw has continued the upward trend. The one thing they have always been since Harbaugh was there was a physical, well coached team that likes to run the ball. There OL has always been well coached.

That said, technique can't do a thing for you when you are getting overpowered. Even in a zone blocking scheme, you have to have the power to handle POWER bull rushes. This is the write up from ProFootballWeekly on Jonathan from 2012.

Positives:

Good size and arm length. Fairly athletic and can shuffle, slide and wall off zones. Nice knee bend. Plays on his feet with good balance. Plays with very good awareness and keeps his head on a swivel. Gets positioning and sticks to defenders — gives good effort and consistently sustains. Is well-versed in a pro-style offense.
Negatives:

Lacks functional strength and can be walked back in pass protection. Not explosive off the ball and does not drive defenders. Soft anchor. Bends at the waist and overextends. Average foot quickness and coordination for the left side — needs to improve kick-slide quickness. Raw technician. Struggles sustaining on the second level. Questionable toughness. Was exposed by the speed of USC’s Nick Perry — heaviness in movement really shows.
Summary:

Overhyped developmental project who needs to get stronger and lacks ideal foot quickness and agility for the left side in the pros. Can develop into a solid swing tackle, but would be best beginning his career on the right side and will take time to adapt to the NFL game. Will appeal most to teams employing zone-slide protection schemes and is a prime candidate to be considerably overdrafted.

I never even looked at Martin last year because I thought he would be a 1st round pick as I saw him in the 1st round of most all mock drafts. That, and the fact that he was looked at as a OLT. But when you read that, the Dolphins had to know he had an issue dealing with POWER. I know you wanted to look at a kid that fit the zone blocking scheme, but you can't play in the league having DE walking you back to the QB.

The coaches for Miami a key in this question. Do they believe Jonathan can gain the power needed to handle the BULL RUSH. I think you can improve on your power, and we know that even at the top college programs, the strength programs are still not quite what you have in the NFL.

Right now, I am still on the fence of if the Dolphins will trade up. I do think if they do, it will be for Joeckel or Fisher. ProFootballWeekly has said the same thing in regards to Lane Johnson. Power can be an issue for him.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:00 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Quote:
Overhyped developmental project who needs to get stronger and lacks ideal foot quickness and agility for the left side in the pros. Can develop into a solid swing tackle, but would be best beginning his career on the right side and will take time to adapt to the NFL game. Will appeal most to teams employing zone-slide protection schemes and is a prime candidate to be considerably overdrafted.

This is a scary analysis Tony. My anxiety level over our offensive tackle situation just went a notch higher after reading that. I honestly am not sure if we currently have 1 starting level tackle on our roster.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

This is a scary analysis Tony. My anxiety level over our offensive tackle situation just went a notch higher after reading that. I honestly am not sure if we currently have 1 starting level tackle on our roster.

It is a concern Mark. That is why I think the more picks, the better. Miami can bring in multiple OT if they want with the number of picks they have now. I think the Dolphins are positioned well to get one of the top 6 OLT. If they do not trade up, then Watson or Armstead are guys that perhaps the Dolphins will move up into the 2nd round to secure, which ever one is still left.

The Dolphins also want an OG, FS, RB, TE, CB, DE.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Quote:
GM Jeff Ireland says he wants to upgrade the Dolphins' offensive line "as a whole."
Ireland has spent two first-round picks and one second-rounder on offensive linemen since 2008, but isn't averse to doing it again. "If I get another (Mike) Pouncey and another Jake Long, I’d do it every draft," Ireland said. Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson appears to be the Dolphins' most logical target via either a trade up or the No. 12 pick, but Ireland is reportedly open to moving down if he strikes out on Johnson in addition to Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher.

-Rotoworld

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Thanks Tony, that is a great breakdown on Martin. I definitely understand where he needs to improve upon and I also understand Stanford produced him out being fairly well taught on line techniques, so that is a positive. I am definitely still scared to death that he doesn't improve his strength enough to hang with the best pass rushed of the NFL and especially if they rely on him to start and we go into the season with a liability.

Let's hope their grand master plan is smart enough to keep Tannehill off the ground.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:23 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
Thanks Tony, that is a great breakdown on Martin. I definitely understand where he needs to improve upon and I also understand Stanford produced him out being fairly well taught on line techniques, so that is a positive. I am definitely still scared to death that he doesn't improve his strength enough to hang with the best pass rushed of the NFL and especially if they rely on him to start and we go into the season with a liability.

Let's hope their grand master plan is smart enough to keep Tannehill off the ground.

I think it has to Fin. It does no good to upgrade the talent at the skill position if Tannehill is consistently picking himself up off the turf. I also think Detroit will go OL as well, as they have a ton of money invested in Matthew Stafford. They lost both of their OT's.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:31 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

ESPN's Todd McShay doesn't think it wise to go into 2013 with Martin at LT.

Todd McShay wrote:
"If I’m moving up, I’m moving up for a left tackle. That’s just me. Cornerbacks are one of the four key positions. But left tackle is one of the two or three in terms of positional value, in my opinion. If I just invested the No. 8 pick last year in [Ryan] Tannehill and saw the promise I saw from him this past year and lose a Jake Long. ... I don't know. I would be sick to my stomach going into a season with Jonathan Martin as my left tackle if I'm trying to build around [Tannehill]. How many years have we've been looking for a quarterback for Miami? How many years? I feel like it's Groundhogs Day every single year in the draft, saying 'Well, they haven't had a quarterback since Dan Marino.' Now you've got one, so don't screw it up. To me, this is a no-brainer if you're the Dolphins. Give up the pick, move up and go get Lane Johnson, if not Eric Fisher, and lock down that spot."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... eft-tackle

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:35 pm
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
ESPN's Todd McShay doesn't think it wise to go into 2013 with Martin at LT.

Todd McShay wrote:
"If I’m moving up, I’m moving up for a left tackle. That’s just me. Cornerbacks are one of the four key positions. But left tackle is one of the two or three in terms of positional value, in my opinion. If I just invested the No. 8 pick last year in [Ryan] Tannehill and saw the promise I saw from him this past year and lose a Jake Long. ... I don't know. I would be sick to my stomach going into a season with Jonathan Martin as my left tackle if I'm trying to build around [Tannehill]. How many years have we've been looking for a quarterback for Miami? How many years? I feel like it's Groundhogs Day every single year in the draft, saying 'Well, they haven't had a quarterback since Dan Marino.' Now you've got one, so don't screw it up. To me, this is a no-brainer if you're the Dolphins. Give up the pick, move up and go get Lane Johnson, if not Eric Fisher, and lock down that spot."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... eft-tackle

Probably the smartest analysis of our situation from any draft expert I've seen yet.
Invested your future in Ryan Tannehill, then commited a king's ransom to Wallace.
Now you have to give the QB time to find his shiny new weapon for big plays downfield.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Quote:
"I've got enough ammunition to get to the first pick if I wanted to," Ireland told the media, "but I don't see myself doing that personally. I don't know. It depends on what's there and we haven't gone through the process of (figuring that out) and talking to other teams at this point and seeing where we would go up or back.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]