View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 A speculative but interesting trade scenario 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post A speculative but interesting trade scenario
Armando Salguero had to be smoking some hashish to write this but still... I did like it: :embarrassed:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/04/an-interesting-but-speculative-trade-scenario.html

Your thoughts?

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:22 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: A speculative but interesting trade scenario
I guess it will come out in the wash on how the dolphins really feel on this guy because if they see a huge upside in Bryant there is no way they allow a huge rival like the pats to nab him but on the other hand if there is some fed flags on this kid a trade like that might work out nicely for the fins..

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Call me crazy but I would rather have their #53 pick and have them throw in a 3rd or 4th rounder in addition.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:48 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i have a feeling that if anything, the pats will trade down. it just seems like they enjoy to stock pile their picks.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Allow the Patriots to fill there need at WR with the best one in the draft while you trade down, acquire more picks, but miss out on a player at a NEED position for your own club?

I don't see this coming close to happening.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rhoads30 wrote:
i have a feeling that if anything, the pats will trade down. it just seems like they enjoy to stock pile their picks.

They sure do and they have had ample opportunity to do so. Fortunately they have not drafted very well for several years now. Overall their drafts have been abysmal. Bill Simmons (Boston sports writer and fanatic of everything Boston) wrote an article last year breaking down the Patriots problems and signaling an ending to the Patriots Dynasty; in it he broke down the Patriots drafting woes and their failure to acquire enough young talent to replace key aging veterans.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:57 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

They sure do and they have had ample opportunity to do so. Fortunately they have not drafted very well for several years now. Overall their drafts have been abysmal. Bill Simmons (Boston sports writer and fanatic of everything Boston) wrote an article last year breaking down the Patriots problems and signaling an ending to the Patriots Dynasty; in it he broke down the Patriots drafting woes and their failure to acquire enough young talent to replace key aging veterans.

I think they've got the talent...just without the tapes, ol Bill doesn't know how to coach.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Didn't mean to suggest that they didn't have the talent, but that talent pool is being depleted faster than it is being replaced; that was my only point (they aren't drafting well; especially considering the amount of picks they have had).

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:27 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

yeah, they are getting old on offense too. they better hope for a good draft.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
Didn't mean to suggest that they didn't have the talent, but that talent pool is being depleted faster than it is being replaced; that was my only point (they aren't drafting well; especially considering the amount of picks they have had).

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Belichick's arrogant thinking that he can plug anybody into his defense and be successful will be this teams demise, I guess next year should be a good test for bill as he wants to have a go without a coordinator on that side of the ball

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:55 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The last time I checked, Dave Wannstedt wasn't running the team. I doubt this happens at all.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
The last time I checked, Dave Wannstedt wasn't running the team. I doubt this happens at all.

:yay:
Is it just me? Or ever since Miami decided to stop helping the Patriots, New England isn't very good.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:19 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

It's just you, sad to say, bro. Since the Welker trade, they have been 18-1, 11-5 1nd 10-7. That's not what you would call 'ungood'.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:02 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

This was the stupidest article ever posted.

Jeff Ireland just said YESTERDAY that he would never trade within the division on draft day...And Armando writes something up about trading down with the Pats, and giving them the best WR to come out since 2007?? Say what?!?

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

pawfectgent wrote:
It's just you, sad to say, bro. Since the Welker trade, they have been 18-1, 11-5 1nd 10-7. That's not what you would call 'ungood'.

Welker would be considered helping them...thus they are 11-5 and 10-7. 21-12.
A 63% winning percentage.

As opposed to the era of letting all sorts of guys like Sammy Morris, Heath Evans, Larry Izzo, Terrell Buckley, Damon Huard and the like sign with them....
14-5, 9-7, 17-2, 17-2, 11-7, 14-5, 18-1

A winning percentage of 77%

Yeah, it's only been two years, but 0 playoff wins? I don't know about the correlation between Miami and that stat, but I am convinced there is the correlation between the tapes and that.

People want to argue that New England didn't have tapes in 2008. They still had them...New England could still use what they already knew...perhaps it wasn't until 2009 that teams changed their signals and what not, you can't really do that when you're already in the 2008 season.
Regardless, if New England doesn't have those tapes prior to 2008, perhaps they don't win as many games, they don't win as many Super Bowls, they don't get free agents like Corey Dillion, Fred Taylor, Wes Welker...they don't get Junior Seau out of retirement to play for a losing team.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
and giving them the best WR to come out since 2007??

He hasn't played a down, and yet he's that good already?

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Regardless of what he does in the NFL, he's the best WR to come out since Johnson.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Physically he may be the most talented player but at 6'+ and 200+ running a 4.5 route the WRONG way is still f---ed up IMHO. He doesn't have the head to play at this level. More over, if he comes to the dolphins there is not one WR veteran to mentor him. The oldest guy we got is Camarillo. Now seriously, do you really think Bryant would listen to Camarillo. He is all about me and I will seriously consider becoming a Pats fan if we draft his dumb ass.

Mark this day on your calendar, I predict Bryant will be the second coming of Ashley Lelie.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Regardless of what he does in the NFL, he's the best WR to come out since Johnson.

Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks, and Desean Jackson all had better or equal statistics in college, and didn't have a postseason that involved nearly as much turmoil.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:
Physically he may be the most talented player but at 6'+ and 200+ running a 4.5 route the WRONG way is still f---ed up IMHO. He doesn't have the head to play at this level. More over, if he comes to the dolphins there is not one WR veteran to mentor him. The oldest guy we got is Camarillo. Now seriously, do you really think Bryant would listen to Camarillo. He is all about me and I will seriously consider becoming a Pats fan if we draft his dumb ass.

Mark this day on your calendar, I predict Bryant will be the second coming of Ashley Lelie.

I don't know about Lelie...but I certainly agree he is entirely too hyped up.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks, and Desean Jackson all had better or equal statistics in college, and didn't have a postseason that involved nearly as much turmoil.

So how good a prospect is, is only based on stats?? I guess Jeremy Williams is the best WR in this year's draft then...

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

So how good a prospect is, is only based on stats?? I guess Jeremy Williams is the best WR in this year's draft then...

:hithead:

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I'm with Phins Rock here. Bryant is the best WR to come out since Johnson. Though I still say he can't hold Johnson's jock strap. Lol.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:45 pm

hypocritex wrote:
I'm with Phins Rock here. Bryant is the best WR to come out since Johnson. Though I still say he can't hold Johnson's jock strap. Lol.

You got that right. Dez is a great prospect, and I do mean great. Calvin was a once in a life time type of opportunity for a GM. One of the top 3 or 4 WR's to ever come out, IMO.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:49 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

randy moss dropped to 21st in the first round because of problems during college also. but i guess we will never know about mr bryant until he actually plays at the nfl level for a season or two.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin, Dez Bryant has the production in college, just as much production as those guys you clicked off, but this kid is over hyped and those guys are not? Plus, it hard too overlook the fact that Bryant played in 28 games and those guys played in many more games.

And talking about being a diva, Crabtree was all that and then some. Nicks had issues coming out of UNC as well as DeSean Jackson

All of these kids have potential to be bust coming out, even one C.J Spiller. I don't believe he will be nor do I think Dez Bryant will be a bust. This kid will be more than motivated to prove people wrong.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:08 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
hypocritex wrote:

You got that right. Dez is a great prospect, and I do mean great. Calvin was a once in a life time type of opportunity for a GM. One of the top 3 or 4 WR's to ever come out, IMO.

weren't you the one who had a man crush on hakeem nicks last year, saying he was a top ten pick?

sometimes i dont know about your assessment of collegiate players......i do think dez is a good prospect......but the key word is prospect. a wr is only as good as what his qb can make him and what kind of system that wr plays in. chris chambers was supposed to be a freak (210#, 4.3-40 yrd dash, and a 45" verticle) in the nfl, but i dont honestly think that the dolphins used him to his true abilities (even though he seemed to have a case of hard hands). chambers was also going through different qbs and off coordinators year in and year out. if dez turns out to get drafted by a team that has that same problem, he probably will be looked at as a bust no matter how good he looks now.

i've said it before and ill say it again, next year is the year of the wide receiver (depending on IF underclassmen declare). why invest a lot of money in a guy like bryant when you don't know what you are going to get, whether it be a headcase, diva, or a humble pro. there are too many questions marks when it comes to this guy, as there are with a lot of "prospects", but why not go with a guy like CJ SPILLER who has the versatility to line up anywhere on the field and play on special teams? im no pro at grading collegiate talent, but when i watch tape of Spiller compared to others, he seems to be one of the top 3 "prospects".

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:

And talking about being a diva, Crabtree was all that and then some. Nicks had issues coming out of UNC as well as DeSean Jackson

Crabtree didn't have any problems until he didn't get picked in the top 5 like he thought he would. What problems did Nicks and Jackson have?
Regardless, this is exactly my point....how is Bryant any better than any of these guys? He's not...nothing puts him above the rest.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:33 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin, you are set in your opinion on Bryant and nothing is going to change that, facts or anything else.

There was plenty of talk about Crabtree and the people surrounding him and the diva mentality. There were character issues surrounding Crabtree and Jackson as well as people questioning DeSean's work ethic, as did Nicks. Nicks gained 15 lbs after the combine and came into his Pro Day at UNC out of shape.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:58 pm

And don't forget about Nicks, Tony. The guy balooned to like 245 pounds, didn't he?

Non the less, they all worked out.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Iowafin wrote:
pawfectgent wrote:

Welker would be considered helping them...

I got where you're coming from; I was just going by that trade as being the end of our helping them (thus the ensuing season would be included in 'since we quit'. Since the last act of Miami to help New England (the Welker trade), they are 39-13, which is like 75%, which I view as being very good. I guess you're meaning 2007 as not included in that, so that's all I meant. Without the 18-1 in there when they got Welker those numbers become 82-28 or 66% (which is still really good). We just were looking at it from two different starting points.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:15 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
And don't forget about Nicks, Tony. The guy balooned to like 245 pounds, didn't he?

Non the less, they all worked out.

I did mention Nicks and his weight gain after the combine. He turned out to be a solid WR for the Giants this past year and the Giants have a nice core of wide receivers with him, Manningham and Steve Smith, the other Steve Smith from USC.... :)

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:50 pm

After last season, I don't know if it isn't the other way around, Tony;).

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I remember lots of reports on Crabtree being a major diva; before the draft.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]