View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Ireland: Jordan's Been On Our Radar For Quite A While 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Ireland: Jordan's Been On Our Radar For Quite A While
Ireland: Jordan's Been On Our Radar For Quite A While
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... 3fe30bc5d0
Quote:
(Opening remarks) – “I just wanted to come down after the first pick and obviously we jumped up there awfully quickly and took a player that we coveted quite a bit. He (Dion Jordan) was very high on our board. We think he’s an outstanding talent, has tremendous versatility. He’s a great kid. We just think the world of the player and what he’s capable of doing. He’s got tremendous upside. I’ll open up for questions.”

(On if Dion Jordan is an every-down player) – “I think eventually (he will be). We certainly see him as an every-down player. Like all players, they’re going to need some time to grow into a position. He’s certainly one of those guys that’ certainly going to have a role. I would certainly say third down for sure and then eventually be an every-down player.”

(On how the decision to trade up unfolded) – “I had some intel that maybe Oakland was looking to get out of there and (I) made a call before the Draft to just let them know that I was interested in maybe getting up. Then, I waited for about, I don’t know, maybe five or six minutes while they were on the clock and there was no call from them and so I called and just asked if they were looking to move the pick. They said they were open for business. I offered my first offer and they said, ‘We’re not interested.’ So I waited another 45 seconds to a minute and they called right back (and) asked for 42. I said, ‘Sure, we’ll do it.’ And that’s all that was.”

(On if he’s surprised that the trade compensation was low to move that far up) – “I think that the reason that I made the call was I felt like it was a buyer’s market. I felt like they did want to get out of there and I felt like you don’t get anything for not asking. Why not ask? Obviously, I thought it was great value to get up there (and it was) great value based on our board, based on the player we think he can be. We thought it was a big win for us.”

(On when he decided during the process that he was leaning towards selecting Jordan) – “No, I was just sitting there after the pick. I was telling Steve (Ross) that this is a player that we actually sat in our draft room in December of 2011 and started watching because he was a third year sophomore and we thought he might come out and he didn’t. But he’s been on our radar for quite a while. We’ve always felt like he’s got a tremendous skill set that’s unique. So he’s been on our radar for a while.”

(On the decision to select a pass rusher over other positions) – “Again, in the Draft, I like to try to stick to the board and I thought he was unique. I thought when you get a core position that’s prototypical that reminds you of players that have played at that position in the National Football League and have had great success – I feel like that’s a position that you can’t have enough of. I think there’s a couple of things, you’ve got to score touchdowns, you’ve got to knock the quarterback down, you’ve got to take the ball away. And I think this guy can do one of those two things.”

(On if he’ll be ready for OTA’s or training camp) – “Yes, I do. I’m not putting a timeline on the injury, but I think he’s maybe a month into the rehab and he should be fine. It’s not a major thing.”

(On if he can give an update on the offensive tackle situation, in particular the trade scenario for Chiefs’ Brandon Albert) – “Right now, it’s nowhere fellas. We’re nowhere on that thing right now. That’s what I can tell you.”

(On if he can talk about the Albert situation or the potential trade involving Davone Bess) – “Well, the Kansas City deal I can say is nowhere right now and neither is the Bess one. Information gets out fellas, but sometimes they’re not what they appear.”

(On if he can still find a starting offensive tackle in the Draft) – “We’ll see. We’re certainly going to hopefully address several different positions. Maybe offensive line’s one of them.”

Stephen M. Ross

(On his reaction to selecting Jordan) – “I’m very pleased. I’m really surprised. We had a dinner with the coaches and Jeff last week. At the end of the dinner, we went around asking, I asked them who they’d pick around there and the first choice was Dion Jordan. Everybody thought, ‘Hey, we’ll never get him.’ And it was like, just sitting in there and it was like Jeff said, ‘Let me just try it based on the things I hear.’ I thought he was kidding and sure enough when they called back I think everybody in that room was shocked. Joe (Philbin) will tell you that’s one player they really liked. They thought he was really different and I think it’s a great move. This is an impact player. There’s nothing better when you’re really drafting and you’re getting what you think is…with the third pick in the draft and the guy who you really loved… It’s a great thing. It’s a great day and the value, giving up as little as they had to give for him and looking at the numbers and how they assess things, these are incredible. Good day.”

(On if Jordan is a player who can help sell tickets) – “Winning will sell tickets.”

Ireland certainly doesn't beat around the bush. It sounds like we really took advantage of the Raiders wanting out of that pick. It's also interesting to hear him say that the Albert and Bess deals are nowhere right now. Perhaps Martin is going to be our left tackle and Bess remains a Dolphin for one more year?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Ireland: Jordan's Been On Our Radar For Quite A While
it's funny to read this stuff. Man he really did a good job of keeping Jordan a secret.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Ross said he had dinner with coaches and asked them who they'd pick. Most said Dion Jordan. "I said let us try....This is an impact player."

- Omar Kelly

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Quote:
“I’m very pleased. I’m really surprised. We had a dinner with the coaches and Jeff last week. At the end of the dinner, we went around asking, I asked them who they’d pick around there and the first choice was Dion Jordan. Everybody thought, ‘Hey, we’ll never get him.’ And it was like, just sitting in there and it was like Jeff said, ‘Let me just try it based on the things I hear.’ I thought he was kidding and sure enough when they called back I think everybody in that room was shocked.

- Stephen Ross

This is great lol

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This was honestly a brilliant move because we never showed our hands in our interest in him and now look what happened i love it

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:28 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Best quote of the session:

"Winning will sell tickets." -- Stephen Ross

This is far from the beginning of his reign when he thought Jennifer Lopez could sell them for him.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:13 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
it's funny to read this stuff. Man he really did a good job of keeping Jordan a secret.

That's an understatement swerve. I said to myself one time that maybe Miami would trade up to get Jordan. But I did not post it because I thought if they did trade up, it would be for an OLT.

Did not see this coming at ALL.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jgod1 wrote:
Best quote of the session:

"Winning will sell tickets." -- Stephen Ross

This is far from the beginning of his reign when he thought Jennifer Lopez could sell them for him.

People forget, as an NFL owner you have to learn on the job. There is no practice. You buy the team and all of a sudden you're thrust into the spotlight and making huge decisions that impact your team. While I haven't been a fan of everything the man has said / done, I do believe he is sincere in bringing the Lombardi Trophy back to South Florida. I think he's learned lessons by sticking his foot in his mouth a couple of times the last few years. I think when he says things like this, he truly means it, and understands the meaning behind it.

Winning solves everything. You win games, you fill the seats, you sell merchandise, etc.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]