View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Who will be Bess' Replacement? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Who will be Bess' Replacement?
Quote:
Barry Jackson‏@flasportsbuzz

Dolphins signed Mount Union WR Jasper Collins.

Collins (5-foot-10 1/4, 180) is the latest in a line of D-III Mount Union receivers to enter the NFL, following Pierre Garcon and Cecil Shorts. Collins caught 92 passes for 1,694 yards (18.4 YPR) and 22 TDs as a senior and ran forty times of 4.47 and 4.50 at his Pro Day, with a 1.56 ten-yard split. Collins needs to get stronger, but has a chance to develop into an explosive slot receiver.

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/statu ... 7975385089

Those are some darn impressive stats regardless of where you played. Is there a chance that he develops into our primary slot receiver? We haven't drafted or signed anyone else who would make you think otherwise.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Who will be Bess' Replacement?
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Those are some darn impressive stats regardless of where you played. Is there a chance that he develops into our primary slot receiver? We haven't drafted or signed anyone else who would make you think otherwise.

Sure, there is a chance. It would be nice to have a 4.5 slot guy.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Sure, there is a chance. It would be nice to have a 4.5 slot guy.

I like Jasper Collins and I think he may have a chance to make the team. I think right now, I look at Rishard Matthews, the kid from Nevada. He got some run late in the year, he in that 4.5 range 40 speed guy and has some YAC in him.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think it's going to be hard for this kid to make the team. He comes from a place that has produced some good ones, no doubt. But we've got quite a few receivers in camp already, I'm not sure how much room there is for another one.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Why do we need one player to replace Bess in the slot? We have three guys who could split it. Wallace, Gibson, and Matthews are all capable of playing in the slot this year. I'd love to see all three guys get moved all around this season and used in multiple roles.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:00 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
New Browns WR Davone Bess is second in the NFL in third-down receptions over the last five seasons.

Bess' 130 third-down catches for the Dolphins since 2008 trails only Roddy White's 146. It's a role he can fill for the Browns as well, who struggled to move the chains with stone-handed Greg Little and deep burner Josh Gordon last season. They ranked 30th in the league in third-down efficiency at just 30.7 percent.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4636/davone-bess

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rishard Matthews.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:18 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

All of the WRs will replace him. Philbin wants his WRs to be able to play all spots. Davone Bess was a joke on the outside and strictly a slot, that is one of the reasons he's not here anymore plus the back issue last year, and final year of contract.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Davone Bess, as much as we all liked him, wasn't Wes Welker here guys. It's not that big of a loss.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Keep your eyes out for the UDFA WR TERRY SINFIELD, he has the measurables of mike wallace 6-0 198 pounds, and runs a 4.30 forty, and has good hands, checkout his video of workout and highlights,

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
Davone Bess, as much as we all liked him, wasn't Wes Welker here guys. It's not that big of a loss.

Well, Wes Welker didn't even put up Bess numbers while he was here.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

Well, Wes Welker didn't even put up Bess numbers while he was here.

I think Gus Frerotte, Daunte Culpepper, and Joey Harrington had a lot to do with that.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cspooner13 wrote:
I think Gus Frerotte, Daunte Culpepper, and Joey Harrington had a lot to do with that.

If we're going to play the blame game for lack of production then you don't think Tony "The Turtle" Sparano and Dan Henning had any negative influence on Bess's production? Moreover, Bess had one season with Pennington and the rest were predominently with Henne and one season with Matt Moore.

Without a doubt Welker was going to improve, but did you know he was going to improve to the tune of 5 seasons with 110+ receptions? You don't think a guy like Davone Bess could improve with a legit top shelf NFL QB?

Regardless your premise "Bess was no Wes Welker" is pure hindsight. There is not a person in here who could say with a straight face they knew he'd reach the level he did. If they claim to have, then they probably have in their possession a Wes Welker scratch and sniff scrap book.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

If we're going to play the blame game for lack of production then you don't think Tony "The Turtle" Sparano and Dan Henning had any negative influence on Bess's production? Moreover, Bess had one season with Pennington and the rest were predominently with Henne and one season with Matt Moore.

Without a doubt Welker was going to improve, but did you know he was going to improve to the tune of 5 seasons with 110+ receptions? You don't think a guy like Davone Bess could improve with a legit top shelf NFL QB?

Regardless your premise "Bess was no Wes Welker" is pure hindsight. There is not a person in here who could say with a straight face they knew he'd reach the level he did. If they claim to have, then they probably have in their possession a Wes Welker scratch and sniff scrap book.

Absolutely Sparano and Henning had an effect on him, no doubt about it. And having Henne and Moore has certainly hamstrung the guy too. But all that said, I don't think Bess has a high ceiling even in an ideal situation. You're right, no one could have predicted that Welker would turn out to be as productive as he was, but playing with Tom Brady has A LOT to do with his production.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

mia305 wrote:
Keep your eyes out for the UDFA WR TERRY SINFIELD, he has the measurables of mike wallace 6-0 198 pounds, and runs a 4.30 forty, and has good hands, checkout his video of workout and highlights,

He reportedly ran a 4.19 at Minnesota's pro day. The kid is lightning fast. Check out the video of the run:
http://nesn.com/2013/03/northern-iowa-r ... ime-video/

Wed May 01, 2013 3:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

mia305 wrote:

Terrell Sinkfield*

Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I didn't think Terry sounded right, but I didn't want to be wrong.

Thu May 02, 2013 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]