View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Eric Winston will be in Miami Wednesday 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Eric Winston will be in Miami Wednesday
This is from ProFootballTalk.com. I have got to think that Miami may be getting serious about going ahead and possibly signing Winston. He has been in multiple times now with this visit. We will see.

Eric Winston working out for Dolphins Wednesday
Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 30, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Chiefs Packers Football AP

Former Chiefs and Texans offensive tackle Eric Winston will have a workout with the Dolphins on Wednesday, a league source told PFT’s Mike Florio.

Winston, 29, has started 103 consecutive regular-season games. He has played right tackle on the NFL level after playing left tackle at Miami (Fla.).

Jake Long, the Dolphins’ starting left tackle since 2008, departed in free agency, and his replacement remains unclear.

The Dolphins’ primary starting right tackle from a season, Jonathan Martin, is an option on the left side if Miami adds a veteran right tackle like Winston.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:44 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Eric Winston will be in Miami Wednesday
I heard Richmond Webb is also working out this week....

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What is this, the third time Winston has been in? I think it's more than a bargaining chip at this point, I think they're seriously resigned to moving Martin to LT and going forward.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

PR: Richmond Webb lives close by me. I also stood with him a couple years back at a Texans game. He is really a nice guy and I had the luxury of hearing Dan Marino stories too.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:52 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

cspooner13 wrote:
What is this, the third time Winston has been in? I think it's more than a bargaining chip at this point, I think they're seriously resigned to moving Martin to LT and going forward.

Just get it done...give Martin a chance!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

MdDolfan wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

I agree Md......I think Jonathan LEARNED a lot from last year, and he has worked to get bigger and stronger. He will be back at his natural position and I think he is ready to step up.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I absolutely agree if Martin gets the chance, but I sure hope there is a viable plan B in place.

He still scares me to handle Tannehill's main protective layer on the line. They way he got manhandled at times last season, I also hope he has vastly improved his overall strength. Time will tell and proving it against the competition, but if he is the guy, I am certainly rooting for him to become an all-pro.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

phinsfansc wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
cspooner13 wrote:

I agree Md......I think Jonathan LEARNED a lot from last year, and he has worked to get bigger and stronger. He will be back at his natural position and I think he is ready to step up.

I hope so because this is what the Dolphins are banking on. Also, sign Winston already, he is our best option at RT.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think the plan has been for Martin to start at left tackle all along. Throughout the entire draft process we were simply throwing up smoke screens. At the end of the day I think our staff is comfortable with Martin. Winson was been someone they wanted all along as well. But in order to not completely tip our hat, and in order to keep negotiations in our favor, Ireland has had to play a little hardball and bring in some other guys for leverage. I think when its all said and done Winston will be a Dolphin. He's a good fit and so long as he's healthy he should be able to play at a high level like he did when he was under Sherman in Houston.

LT - Jonathan Martin
LG - Ritchie Incognito
C - Mike Pouncey
RG - John Jerry
RT - Eric Winston

Doesn't sound too bad to me.

Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm telling ya, all of these OT visits are a negotiating tactic to get Winston to sign on Miami's terms. He's the perfect fit for the line. I'm somewhat convinced he'll be a Dolphin by the end of the week.

I hope Martin can be a good/above average left tackle. That would be enough for this offense to thrive...well, so long as Tannehill is the real deal.

Wed May 01, 2013 5:57 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think Martin can be the guy at left tackle. He played better there than on the right side last season WITHOUT ANY PRACTICE OR PREPARATION TIME. It's his natural position.

Wed May 01, 2013 8:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I'm telling ya, all of these OT visits are a negotiating tactic to get Winston to sign on Miami's terms. He's the perfect fit for the line. I'm somewhat convinced he'll be a Dolphin by the end of the week.

I hope Martin can be a good/above average left tackle. That would be enough for this offense to thrive...well, so long as Tannehill is the real deal.

That's the hope. That by adding linemen capable of properly running the zone blocking scheme and weapons on the outside that Tannehill can take a huge leap forward this year. If the moves we make around Tannehill work, then we'll likely see huge improvements in his game. In addition, I think you're looking at a young playoff team.

Wed May 01, 2013 2:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mando tweeted that he heard that Miami was considering signing BOTH McKinnie and one of the veteran RTs for 1 year deals. I don't believe it.... that seems unrealistic. Hard to sift through all the rumors swirling. Hope whatever they are going to do gets done soon, before these guys start signing elsewhere and our options and leverage dwindles.

Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

They would sign both if they signed for much less money. If no one else pulls the trigger those veterans may concede to a lower salary, but only if the money isn't coming from someone else.

I have to give it to Ireland as he is sticking to his guns on the money front.

Wed May 01, 2013 9:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Apparently they're also bringing in Winston Justice

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/1/42 ... on-justice

Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]