View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 An NFL Scout: Mike Gillislee a career backup. 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post An NFL Scout: Mike Gillislee a career backup.
Quote:
Mike Gillislee a career backup?

### A longtime NFC scout who we trust said “Mike Gillislee could play 8 to 10 years as a backup. He’s similar to [UM’s] Mike James, but more explosive. Neither is special.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... nk=addthis#storylink=cpy

Gillislee was not a special runner at Florida, but is considered NFL-ready in pass protection. That alone could make him Lamar Miller's primary backup this season. Even if Gillislee doesn't have starter's upside, "Fumbling" Daniel Thomas is on notice in Miami.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51726648/ ... ayer_news/

Wed May 01, 2013 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: An NFL Scout: Mike Gillislee a career backup.
So a 5th round pick has the potential to be a #2 runningback in the NFL for 8 to 10 years. Sounds like a solid pickup to me. We're not asking Gillislee to be the 1,000 yard feature back. That's Lamar Miller's job. All we need Gillislee to do is take 8 to 10 carries a game, pass protect, and occasionally catch one out of the backfield in 3rd down situations. I don't think that's asking too much for a guy with his skill set. I think Miami is a good situation for him to succeed. He's a good fit in my opinion. He's a great 3rd down back prospect. While some experts dinged him for only starting one season. He was very good in that one season and in my opinion 1,000 yards in the SEC is good no matter how you look at it. End of the day, this kid doesn't come with the mileage that most runningbacks in this class had. Less injuries, less wear and tear, sounds good to me.

Wed May 01, 2013 2:55 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
"Fumbling" Daniel Thomas is on notice in Miami.

I know it's kinda popular to bash on this guy...Again it's only his 3rd year so he should be just about coming into his prime as to whether or not he is gonna do anything in the NFL...

Hate when people are so quick to give up on a guy that hasn't shown anything good or bad yet. Like some were with Cam Wake Hartline Jerry Ronnie Brown on and on..And the fumble thing isn't making this story any better..I looked and he has only lost 3 fumble in 2 years..I wouldn't call that a fumbler.

Did they mean fumbler or bumbler?

Wed May 01, 2013 3:23 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Wonder what they were saying about 6th round pick Alfred Morris last year? I think Miami will take a kid that has an 8-10 year career. Means he done some good things.

Wed May 01, 2013 5:08 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:

Hate when people are so quick to give up on a guy that hasn't shown anything good or bad yet.

True..we haven't seen anything good from Thomas. Flashes? Sure.

But at the end of the day, the concussions.....are the "really bad." He could put a pillow inside his helmet and I don't think it's gonna help. We'll see if he makes it through pre-season.

On Gillislee though, like wkloiber13 posted:
"So a 5th round pick has the potential to be a #2 runningback in the NFL for 8 to 10 years. Sounds like a solid pickup to me."

:yay:

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
Quote:

I know it's kinda popular to bash on this guy...Again it's only his 3rd year so he should be just about coming into his prime as to whether or not he is gonna do anything in the NFL...

Hate when people are so quick to give up on a guy that hasn't shown anything good or bad yet. Like some were with Cam Wake Hartline Jerry Ronnie Brown on and on..And the fumble thing isn't making this story any better..I looked and he has only lost 3 fumble in 2 years..I wouldn't call that a fumbler.

Did they mean fumbler or bumbler?

Running back is a bit different than other positions. THey usually make a quick impact. There are exceptions, but Thomas has not shown much to impress anyone.

Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The dude started really Playing lastyear so there is already an opinion of him? Yeah, right.....

Wed May 01, 2013 7:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Wonder what they were saying about 6th round pick Alfred Morris last year? I think Miami will take a kid that has an 8-10 year career. Means he done some good things.

I think Gillislee will have Benjarvis Green-Ellis type career.

Thu May 02, 2013 1:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]