View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Why im not worried about martin 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Why im not worried about martin
i understand why everyone is worried about martin at LT tackle new year, but take this into mind.

Most teams line there best edge rusher up against a teams RT just like we do with Cam. which is why martin got man handled last year. So if we get winston move martin to LT, yes he will be protecting Tanne's blindside, but he is not always getting the teams best pas rusher.

Wed May 01, 2013 7:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Why im not worried about martin
It only takes one hit/sack on Tannehill to end his season and Miami's hopes of making the playoffs. You want your best pass blocking Tackle protecting your franchise QB's blindside.

Wed May 01, 2013 10:55 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

bobby0112 wrote:
It only takes one hit/sack on Tannehill to end his season and Miami's hopes of making the playoffs. You want your best pass blocking Tackle protecting your franchise QB's blindside.

This guy protected Lucks blindside for 3 years then was drafted and told to play RT (I believe a position he never played) and did a decent job (not great) for a rookie then Long gets hurt and he's asked to jump over to LT again. This is not asking somebody to switch from the fries to the register at McDonalds people, it was very difficult what he did last year.

I think our FO believes he can play the position but doesn't want to count on Martin alone. Let's give Martin some competition and battle it out in training camp....the best man plays LT.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Everyone is worried because he was one of the worst starting tackles in the NFL last year and actually did worse when he moved to the left side.

The only good game he had AT ALL last year was against a Buffalo team missing its two best pass rushers.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:53 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm going to hold my judgement until the roster takes shape, and we're well into the preseason. Martin was a guy who we all knew needed a season to bulk up. Now that he's showed up to OTAs in shape, and reportedly 15lbs heavier, I think the guy has definitely been working on some things. It's not like guys were beating him due to speed or poor technique last year. He was simply getting run over. I think if Martin has added the necessary strength to his upper body, he'll be more than able to handle either tackle position this year. Not every player is a Jake Long that comes Pro Bowl ready right out of college. Some guys (especially late 1st and early 2nd rounders) take a season or two before they're playing at a high level. I'm pulling for the guy to take the next step and lock down that left tackle job.

Wed May 01, 2013 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]