View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Will 2013 be Mark Columbo deja vu for the Phins? 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Will 2013 be Mark Columbo deja vu for the Phins?
Miami signed Mark Columbo as a last minute RT on 8/1 2011. Columbo's matador like skills at pass blocking led to 9 sacks that year. The offensive line gave up a total of 52 sacks on the way to a 6-10 record. Tony Sparano was fired before the season ended on 12/12/11.

Is 2013 going to be deja vu? The big name OT free agents have been signed. The draft has come and gone. Ireland decided not to trade for Branden Albert. Ireland also traded the 42nd pick in this years 2nd round to move up to the 3rd overall pick to draft Dion Jordan not Lane Johnson. Oakland used that 42nd pick to draft FSU OT Melenik Watson. Bryant McKinnie just resigned with Baltimore today. That leaves Eric Winston or Tyson Clabo as the next best available free agent OT's.

Ireland is betting his career that Jonathan Martin is the answer at LT to protect Tannehill's blindside. And he doesn't seem overly concerned that he doesn't have much additional depth on the roster as of this afternoon. Am I the only one who is concerned? If Eric Winston signs with San Diego it will be time to panic. Do you remember the 52 sack 2011 season???? :boo: I sure hope Ireland has a plan or as he said "something up his sleeve" for the OT situation.

Thu May 02, 2013 4:51 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Will 2013 be Mark Columbo deja vu for the Phins?
Personally, I'm glad things have worked out the way they have. I am excited to see Martin take a few steps forward this season and hopefully show the promise he had coming out of Stanford.

I also think Tyson Clabo would be an upgrade on the right side.

Pouncey is as good as it gets in the middle. Incognito is solid, I like this kid they signed from Chicago and I'm intrigued by the athleticism of Dallas Thomas at guard.

I'm not ready to push the panic button just yet.

Thu May 02, 2013 6:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

bobby0112 wrote:
Ireland also traded the 42nd pick in this years 2nd round to move up to the 3rd overall pick to draft Dion Jordan not Lane Johnson..

Not knocking your post. Am knocking the overall thought process that a rookie LT would be capable of protecting the blind side any better than Martin can.

Thu May 02, 2013 6:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
Ireland also traded the 42nd pick in this years 2nd round to move up to the 3rd overall pick to draft Dion Jordan not Lane Johnson..

Not knocking your post. Am knocking the overall thought process that a rookie LT would be capable of protecting the blind side any better than Martin can.

I am not sold on Martin being the answer at LT. But even if he is, Miami still needs a RT. Lane Johnson or Melenik Watson could have been used at RT if Philbin decided Albert was the answer at LT. But they would have to be on the roster for that to be an option. Ireland has let the best of free agency and the draft pass by without addressing Miami's biggest need.

Thu May 02, 2013 6:31 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

bobby0112 wrote:
I am not sold on Martin being the answer at LT. But even if he is, Miami still needs a RT. Lane Johnson or Melenik Watson could have been used at RT if Philbin decided Albert was the answer at LT. But they would have to be on the roster for that to be an option. Ireland has let the best of free agency and the draft pass by without addressing Miami's biggest need.

Probably because he views the guys left no better than Martin.

Fri May 03, 2013 4:45 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

We lost a lot on offense, Wallace, Keller and Miller have to be ready week one and know the playbook. No excuses..
IDK about the LT spot either. Seems like an important position.

I expect 10 wins minimum. They have "they're guys" now coach them up and win.

Fri May 03, 2013 5:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I expect 10 wins minimum.

That is a nice, but lofty expectation. Miami's schedule is tough and until the line is fully addressed, big concerns still loom as protection is a MUST for Tannehill to be successful. I like Martin, want him to succeed, BUT, what if he falters, then what? I can then tell you 10 wins isn't probably happening.

Yeah, we have added some nice pieces, but they still IMO aren't quite there just yet.

Fri May 03, 2013 10:14 am
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

bobby0112 wrote:
Ireland has let the best of free agency and the draft pass by without addressing Miami's biggest need.

He addressed the need. His name is Dallas Thomas.

The question is whether he has appropriately addressed the need.

Fri May 03, 2013 10:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:
Ireland has let the best of free agency and the draft pass by without addressing Miami's biggest need.

That's the key Rich. Is Dallas Thomas enough to solidify the offensive line? I guess I am hoping Ireland will sign Eric Winston or Tyson Clabo to add some veteran depth. That would allow Thomas time to mature. I am worried that these two free agents will be signed elsewhere and then Miami will be scrambling in August to sign another teams castoff at the last minute if Martin struggles and Thomas needs more time to develop. By signing a veteran now, it gives them time to learn the offense and gel.

Fri May 03, 2013 2:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

Thomas wasn't drafted to be the answer at LT, he was drafted for versatility and depth on the line.

Fri May 03, 2013 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]