View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:57 pm



Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3757
Post Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Sun Sentinel Commentary

6:06 p.m. EDT, May 23, 2013

...

During this week's practice, the first where the offense faced the defense, Tannehill looked like a quarterback ready to take that next step. And it was refreshing, exciting to witness.

It is clear Tannehill feels comfortable in year two. This is his offense. These are his new weapons.

...

"Last year at this time my head was spinning. I was just trying to figure out how things worked. ...

This second-year starter can get there by improving his completion percentage, throwing more touchdowns than interceptions, and performing better in the fourth quarter, when wins and losses are typically decided in professional sports. ...

If he improves in those areas Tannehill should produce an 85-plus passer rating, and during the past three decades when the Dolphins have a starting quarterback behind center with that type of efficient, solid play the franchise has produced just one losing season in 12 years. ...

Is that really too much to ask ...


http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss


Thu May 23, 2013 6:23 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:08 pm
Posts: 375
Location: Cincinnati
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
Quote:
and performing better in the fourth quarter, when wins and losses are typically decided in professional sports. ...


Yeah, especially in baseball.

_________________
Image


Thu May 23, 2013 6:54 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 7028
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
It all depends on the QB. The OL, DL,Wrs, etc are nice but the season depends on RT. SOrry....


Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
Personally, I want to see somewhere around 63% completion percentage and 28-30 touchdowns. I don't think that's asking too much

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6631
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
asking for 28 touchdowns in his 2nd year is probably too much to ask. I would be very satisfied with 22 to 24, and he'll probably run for 1 or 2 also. I think he will eventually become a perennial 27 to 32 TD quarterback.


Fri May 24, 2013 2:05 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
I didn't specify passing touchdowns. I would be perfectly content if he had 24-25 passing touchdowns and 2 or 3 rushing ones. The completion percentage and touchdown/interception ratio are what I'm more concerned about though.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Fri May 24, 2013 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3500
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
swerve13 wrote:
asking for 28 touchdowns in his 2nd year is probably too much to ask. I would be very satisfied with 22 to 24, and he'll probably run for 1 or 2 also. I think he will eventually become a perennial 27 to 32 TD quarterback.



Russell Wilson had 26 touchdowns passes last year. I think with the weapons Ryan has now, I don't think 26-28 touchdowns is asking to much.

_________________
Image


Fri May 24, 2013 1:40 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21975
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
asking for 28 touchdowns in his 2nd year is probably too much to ask. I would be very satisfied with 22 to 24, and he'll probably run for 1 or 2 also. I think he will eventually become a perennial 27 to 32 TD quarterback.



Russell Wilson had 26 touchdowns passes last year. I think with the weapons Ryan has now, I don't think 26-28 touchdowns is asking to much.


Would you take 4000 yards passing 63% completion, 18 TDs and 6 INTs?

I mean, I think the thing we really need to see is his INTs go down, his TDs go up, his completion percentage go up and his yardage go up.

Those are signs of improvement.

Rule #1 for the QB is to avoid turnovers. I'm looking at Tannehill to drop his turnovers first and foremost.

_________________
Image


Fri May 24, 2013 1:46 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 1385
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
Rich wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
asking for 28 touchdowns in his 2nd year is probably too much to ask. I would be very satisfied with 22 to 24, and he'll probably run for 1 or 2 also. I think he will eventually become a perennial 27 to 32 TD quarterback.



Russell Wilson had 26 touchdowns passes last year. I think with the weapons Ryan has now, I don't think 26-28 touchdowns is asking to much.


Would you take 4000 yards passing 63% completion, 18 TDs and 6 INTs?

I mean, I think the thing we really need to see is his INTs go down, his TDs go up, his completion percentage go up and his yardage go up.

Those are signs of improvement.

Rule #1 for the QB is to avoid turnovers. I'm looking at Tannehill to drop his turnovers first and foremost.


Everything Rich just mentioned and improvement on 3rd down conversions.

_________________
Image


Fri May 24, 2013 1:56 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
Rich, if he were to give us 4,000 yards passing then I could be happy with only 18 touchdowns. But with the weapons around him I think that 18 would be disappointing. He should be able to be in the 20's easy with the firepower he has around him (provided that Martin can keep him upright). Russell Wilson had 26 touchdowns last season and our WR's this year are better than his were last year.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Fri May 24, 2013 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6631
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
considering he had 12 last year, you guys may be aiming a bit too high with 28.
I would be ecstatic if he doubles last year's number. We're not the Green Bay Packers yet, and He's not Aaron Rodgers.


Sat May 25, 2013 1:26 am
Profile
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3500
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
swerve13 wrote:
considering he had 12 last year, you guys may be aiming a bit too high with 28.
I would be ecstatic if he doubles last year's number. We're not the Green Bay Packers yet, and He's not Aaron Rodgers.



Neither is Russell Wilson. I don't think asking for doubling the number to the 24-28 range is out of the question. Yes Rich, I would take the number you mentioned in a heartbeat, especially the 6 INT.

_________________
Image


Sat May 25, 2013 1:37 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3204
Location: MA.
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
I would rather 10 to 12 wins....


Sat May 25, 2013 5:41 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:05 am
Posts: 863
Location: Mount Vernon, Iowa
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
If RT improves the things he needs to, the wins SHOULD follow. Emphasis on should.

_________________
www.aspoonfulofsports.blogspot.com
www.aspoonfulofsports.com


Sat May 25, 2013 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 3500
Location: Columbia, SC
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
cspooner13 wrote:
If RT improves the things he needs to, the wins SHOULD follow. Emphasis on should.



Exactly. If Ryan touchdowns go up and interceptions go down, it will translate into wins.

_________________
Image


Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2444
Location: NSW, Australia
Post Re: Time to raise the bar for Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill
If the INTs stay the same but the TDs go up to the 25-28 range, I would be very happy


Sun May 26, 2013 2:49 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], hallphin, tgaur, TommyNoleFin and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.