View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Overhaul needed: Dolphins new look receiving unit 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Overhaul needed: Dolphins new look receiving unit
Quote:
Miami receivers

The Problem: You've got to be able to both throw and catch the rock to score in today's NFL, and Miami didn't do nearly enough of that last season, finishing 27th in points (18 per game) and 26th in passing (199 yards per game). The Dolphins' measly 13 touchdown passes ranked last in the AFC East, with even the dysfunctional and QB-challenged New York Jets having more.

Added: Signed receivers Mike Wallace (Steelers) and Brandon Gibson (Rams) and tight end Dustin Keller (Jets) in free agency.

Subtracted: Receiver Davone Bess was traded to Cleveland; tight end Anthony Fasano signed with Kansas City in free agency.

The Upshot on the Upgrade: We don't want to jinx the Dolphins and call them the clear-cut 2013 NFL offseason champions, but nobody went bigger and bolder in March and April than Miami, which is in whatever comes after must-win-now mode on the urgency scale. In terms of makeovers, nothing got the Dolphins' attention more than their receiving game, because rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill seemed virtually weapon-less at times in 2012, with only receiver Brian Hartline posing any kind of problem for a defense.

The Dolphins wisely retained the dependable Hartline by re-signing him before free agency opened, and then they anted up to fill out the rest of their four-wide formation with Wallace, Gibson and Keller giving Miami's passing game a whole new threat level. Miami was forced to overpay the ex-Steeler Wallace to coax him to town, but his deep speed should force opposing secondaries to respect the Miami long game, and open up plenty of space underneath for Gibson, Hartline and Keller to do their damage.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... index.html

Fri May 31, 2013 6:12 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Overhaul needed: Dolphins new look receiving unit
Miami had only one legit WR last year in Hartline. By adding Wallace, Keller and Gibson Miami went from having one play maker (Hartline)to three (Wallace, Hartline & Keller). Flooding defenses with more play makers is going to create a mismatch somewhere on the field. It will be up to Tannehill to make good decisions and the offensive line to give Tannehill time to throw. More play makers, and a balanced running/passing game should make Miami's offense much more potent this year.

Fri May 31, 2013 2:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Gibson might not be a "Playmaker", but he's going to be very valuable in the offense too. Don't overlook the contribution he should make for us.

Fri May 31, 2013 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Gibson and bess are so similar, its a wash there

Fri May 31, 2013 10:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

cspooner13 wrote:
Gibson might not be a "Playmaker", but he's going to be very valuable in the offense too. Don't overlook the contribution he should make for us.

I'm not overlooking Gibson's contribution at all. Its quite the opposite. I think Gibson and Hartline will have outstanding seasons because defenses will key on Wallace and Keller. Defenses will try to minimize the damage that Wallace and keller can do and that will leave Gibson and Hartline in one on one match ups that they can easily win. I think adding Wallace and Keller will allow Gibson and Wallace to thrive this year.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tannehill17 wrote:
Gibson and bess are so similar, its a wash there

Completely untrue.

One guy grew to become one of the most trusted slot receivers in the game. The other guy has barely played that position in his entire NFL career. They're entirely different players and right now the Dolphins are rolling the dice on a cheaper so-caleld "alternative".

Bess's 130 third down catches trails that of only Roddy White since 2008. His quickness and great hips in and out of his breaks make him a difficult draw for most DB's in a short area. Trust me, we will miss this guy's contributions from that position. I can only imagine how much easier life would've been for the guy to operate with a burner like Wallace on the outside drawing coverage.

Bess is gone because of Philbin's seemingly iron fisted grip on the kind of soldiers he wants. There clearly was some kind of issue because of the situation with Bess not playing with back injuries late in the year last year.

I was just reading over this detailed breakdown of his performance and I seriously am scratching my head why we let him go: http://sportssnip.com/the-davone-bess-f ... n-machine/

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Bess was pretty much worthless downfield and in the red zone. We'll be fine without him.
Keller will replace his production as much as Gibson will.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Bess was pretty much worthless downfield and in the red zone. We'll be fine without him.
Keller will replace his production as much as Gibson will.

Downfield is not Bess's game. That's what we have Hartline and Wallace for.

Bess has 12 career TD's to Gibson's 9.

Our redzone execution struggles were collectively a "team" problem as stated by Sherman and Tannehill himself.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I liked Davone Bess and ever since he was at Hawaii, all he did was catch passes and help move the chains. Overall, I am a bit surprised that he wasn't considered a keeper for the fins.

Rock, we are now rolling the dice on Gibson and he is a bigger target, but from a side to side quickness and getting open underneath and away from linebackers, I am not sure I see him doing what Bess was about to do.

Bess IMO with Wallace and Hartline may have caught 90-100 passes for Miami, now we have to hope Gibson is productive. I guess that one handed catch he made against Miami last season stayed in the coaches minds.....

Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]