View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 ESPN's Matt Williams Miami Dolphins offseason Grade: C+ 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post ESPN's Matt Williams Miami Dolphins offseason Grade: C+
Here's the entire article from ESPN Insider. Any unbiased thoughts on the C+ grade for our offseason work?

Quote:
Miami Dolphins

Key additions: WR Mike Wallace, CB Brent Grimes, ILB Dannell Ellerbe, OT Tyson Clabo, TE Dustin Keller, LB Philip Wheeler, WR Brandon Gibson, G Lance Louis, DT Vaughn Martin
Key losses: OT Jake Long, CB Sean Smith, ILB Karlos Dansby, RB Reggie Bush, LB Kevin Burnett, WR Davone Bess, TE Anthony Fasano, DT Tony McDaniel

Analysis: Everyone is talking about all the great additions that Miami made to its roster this offseason, but the Dolphins' departures are significant as well. I can understand allowing Long to leave to St. Louis, and Dallas Thomas could be a quality addition at guard, but this offense has concerns at nearly every spot other than center and right tackle. Clabo and several of the Dolphins' other prominent linemen are not well-equipped to handle the up-tempo approach that Miami wants to run. Fasano's blocking prowess could be missed. Gibson is a slightly younger and much more versatile upgrade over Bess at WR.

Overall, the Dolphins massively upgraded Ryan Tannehill's offensive weapons. Even with the line concerns, it would be very surprising if this unit wasn't better than a year ago. Also, Mike Gillislee is a favorite of mine who I expect to quickly assert himself as Miami's second running back.

The trade up for Dion Jordan and the changes at linebacker give the Dolphins one of the best front sevens in the NFL, and if Grimes is healthy and plays like he did before his injury, he is an upgrade over Smith (or Vontae Davis who was traded last year). Jamar Taylor and Will Davis are also welcome additions at this position. Miami was extremely active this offseason and got younger and faster on both sides of the ball, which really fits the up-tempo approach this coaching staff desires. However, some holes still remain.

Grade: C+

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... c-team-nfl

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: ESPN's Matt Williams Miami Dolphins offseason Grade: C+
I am glad it was a + grade. Without that plus I would have really been disappointed. lol well I guess the final grade will be at the end of the season in W/L record.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

C+?????

what the hell do you have to do for an A+? Change the franchise name to the New England Patriots?

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:04 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

if you don't look at the grade it's actually a nice article

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

icx wrote:
if you don't look at the grade it's actually a nice article

which is the why the grade makes no sense at all.
He even says we have one of the best front 7's in the league.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I've read a lot of Williamson's chats and he's always been the one guy at ESPN who was optimistic/hopeful about the Dolphins. He like Henne and thought the team would be solid. He loves Tannehill and thinks he will be legit...so expect Tannehill to flame out!

How do you grade an offseason before the season? Kind of like grading the draft before players get a chance to develop.

I know I sound redundant but a lot of this talk is pointless if the QB does not pan out. It really is all about Tannehill.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This article doesn't make sense to me. His analysis and his grade don't mesh with each other.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]