View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Unhappy 'Fins DT Starks reports for minicamp 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Unhappy 'Fins DT Starks reports for minicamp
Obviously, I just don't get it. I understand that he feels he deserves a long term contract, but how can anyone be angry to get a 1 year contract worth twice what he is worth. Maybe he recognized that he showed signs at the end of last season of wearing down. Maybe he understands that the Dolphins are rebuilding their rebuild job and his age is not fitting in with the new changes. Take the $8 million and be happy.

Quote:
Unhappy 'Fins DT Starks reports for minicamp

ADAM BEASLEY: As promised, Randy Starks will participate in this week's minicamp after skipping the voluntary workouts & OTAs over franchise tag.
https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status ... 4253418496

ROTOWORLD: Starks signed his one-year, $8.5 million franchise tender in March, but held out of all voluntary activities in search of a long-term deal. He would have been subject to heavy fines for blowing off this week's minicamp. Starks' desire for a long-term deal is understandable, but going on 30, he may not get one unless it's for a team-friendly price.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/52156313/ ... ayer_news/

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Unhappy 'Fins DT Starks reports for minicamp
It's all about job security. In this league, one hit and your career is over. He wants the security to know that he's going to be somewhere for an extended period of time and that, if the worst does happen, he's taken care of. I can't fault the guy for that.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He wants the security to know that he's going to be somewhere for an extended period of time

Yeah, no doubt, 8.5 mil is nothing. He needs more financial "security" if he gets hurt. Let's not even count the amount of money he has made over his career....poor Randy. :cry:

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:00 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
He wants the security to know that he's going to be somewhere for an extended period of time

Yeah, no doubt, 8.5 mil is nothing. He needs more financial "security" if he gets hurt. Let's not even count the amount of money he has made over his career....poor Randy. :cry:

I would think that $8.5 million is twice what he'll get from any team. And I believe it is guaranteed money.

:$$

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Tagging Starks, who just completed a five-year, $20.5 million deal he signed with Miami in 2008, would guarantee the 29-year-old a one-year contract worth $8.45 million if he signed it. Starks would like to remain in South Florida, but it appears contract talks have stalled.

“I want to be a Dolphin, (and) not just for one more year,” Starks tweeted out on Sunday.

“Discount, yeah. Clearance rack, heck no!

“I want to be here and finish here!”

Problem is the Dolphins have a decent replacement for Starks already on the roster in Jared Odrick, the team’s 2010 first-round pick. Odrick, who is 6-foot-5, 302 pounds, spent all of last season as a defensive end, typically playing out of position, because of the team’s recent switch from a 3-4 scheme to a 4-3 scheme. ...

Starks could land a contract that trumps the four-year, $24 million ($12 million guaranteed) deal former Dolphins defensive tackle Kendall Langford got from the Rams last offseason. ...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-0 ... ree-agents

I don't begrudge these guys realistically getting what they can while they can. I would imagine that most people, if they were in his situation, would try and do the same.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:14 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He has made appx. 30mil in a 5 yr span.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

Or, what Mike Wallace made in one contract

Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

If Randy were in his mid 20's, there would not be an issue. But because he is hitting 30 soon, I don't think the Dolphins will do a long term deal. 2 years at the most on a team friendly deal.

Miami has got some tough decision to make on Starks and Paul Soliai. Paul took a team friendly deal a few years ago, and you have to hope he will again as he really wanted to stay in Miami.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:25 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Or, what Mike Wallace made in one contract

Lets hope he doesn't want to re-do his contract in a couple years.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Yep and he wants to make more as, at least in my experience, most people want to.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

And more than that, he wants job security. He wants to finish his career in Miami, but he also wants to be paid what he feels is a fair amount

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yep and he wants to make more as, at least in my experience, most people want to.

lol. you and I together with our extended family won't even sniff 30mil. Sure we all want more money, but 30mil is a crazy amount to compare us with bro.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:32 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The amount doesn't matter Mak. The point is, no matter what we're making, we always want more.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

lol. you and I together with our extended family won't even sniff 30mil. Sure we all want more money, but 30mil is a crazy amount to compare us with bro.

Mak I agree and I sympathize with what you are saying. But we are not in his market. It is unique but wanting to maximize your paycheck is not uncommon.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:31 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The amount doesn't matter Mak. The point is, no matter what we're making, we always want more.

I get what your saying, I just share the same opinion. No problem. I look at 30mil like winning the lottery. I wouldn't work anymore nor would I want more money.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

I get what your saying, I just share the same opinion. No problem. I look at 30mil like winning the lottery. I wouldn't work anymore nor would I want more money.

It sounds good and maybe it would be true for you. I would tend to say the same thing as you have now. However, if my family and I were used to a multimillion dollar lifestyle I might be wanting more knowing that I was not even 40, would probably never make a paycheck like that again, and planned on living a while longer.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:47 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

However, if my family and I were used to a multimillion dollar lifestyle

That's the problem with these guys, the well dries up. From TO to Allen Iverson and everyone in between, for them to go bankrupt is crazy. Make your millions and buy modest things. Starks is old in football years. He can't expect to get a big payday, so he's franchised. Don't come to camp unhappy. He plays professional football and is a millionaire over and over again. I have no symphony for him.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]