View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Salguero: FB out of the plans? 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Salguero: FB out of the plans?
Quote:
I think I've figured it out. It took me a couple of practices and talking to a couple of people, but it is clear to me why the Dolphins applied the stiff-arm to fullback Vonta Leach late last week.

It's just that the Dolphins are going to use a one-back look with four pass-catchers (three receivers and a tight end) or an I-formation look with the tight end as the lead blocker look going forward. And none of that leaves a lot of room for a fullback on the roster.

It makes sense, really.

When you consider the Dolphins have three starting-caliber and high priced receivers in Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson on the team, it makes sense to get them on the field as much as possible. When you consider Dustin Keller is an experienced and solid tight end and the Dolphins are heavily invested in the position with Charles Clay, Dion Sims, Kyle Miller and Michael Egnew, it makes sense to have an extra roster spot not occupied by a fullback and instead used on an extra tight end.

Voila, mystery solved.

I remind you the Dolphins still have two fullbacks on the roster: Jorvorskie Lane and Evan Rodriguez. But neither has gotten even one snap with the first or second-team offense in two days of camp that I've noticed. Both are in a deserate fight to merely make the team. I don't like their chances.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 pm
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Salguero: FB out of the plans?
Vonta Leach would be a huge upgrade over Lane or Rodriguez. Miami has to have a decent FB on the roster. Leach would earn his money on goal line and redzone downs. Miami needs to score TD's not settle for FG's.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Hen wrote:
I remind you the Dolphins still have two fullbacks on the roster: Jorvorskie Lane and Evan Rodriguez. But neither has gotten even one snap with the first or second-team offense in two days of camp that I've noticed. Both are in a deserate fight to merely make the team. I don't like their chances.

Really? If Lane doesn't make the team, who is our other option? I've never even heard of this Evan Rodriguez guy, so it's certainly not him. I never thought of Lane as "desperately fighting to merely make the team". I thought he was one of the guys we'd see next season. He didn't ball out last season, but he wasn't necessarily mediocre either.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:13 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

With the two tight end sets and QB read options, it's safe to say that fullbacks are a dying breed in the NFL

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
With the two tight end sets and QB read options, it's safe to say that fullbacks are a dying breed in the NFL

Wasn't to many Yrs ago the same was said about TE. In the NFL all it takes is one player & the right coach to change the thinking, then its copy cat time.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:29 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
he wasn't necessarily mediocre either.

17th out of 25 FBs is pretty mediocre.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

I didn't realize he did that bad statistically. I remember the hype surrounding him earlier in the season, must have all went down hill from there for him.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:56 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:

I didn't realize he did that bad statistically. I remember the hype surrounding him earlier in the season, must have all went down hill from there for him.

He was good on short yardage situations but his blocking needed a LOT of work.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Wouldn't surprise me much if Clay took up the FB spot on the depth chart. Lane would be cut and they keep all the tight ends with the possibility of putting Kyle Miller? on the practice squad if eligible.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]