View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Ryan Tannehill can't remain NFL's worst QB on third downs 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ryan Tannehill can't remain NFL's worst QB on third downs
Quote:
By Omar Kelly Sun Sentinel

7:22 a.m. EDT, July 25, 2013

But the excuses aren't important, or relevant for the 2013 season. What's relevant is what the Dolphins' second-year starter is doing to improve his 76.1 passer rating, which had him ranked the 27th best passer in 2012, and how he'll produce a winning record as Miami's starting quarterback.

PLENTY of improvement is needed considering Tannehill was the WORST third down passer in the NFL last season. ...

I've watched Tannehill close the first week of camp and I've noticed he's locking in on his receivers, and is slow when it comes to pulling the trigger.

I wasn't the only one who noticed this during the past week.

Again, it is early! Super early! We're talking about the first week of training camp, and the defense usually has the edge at this point.

Tannehill is working on gaining some comfort with his new weapons. He's carrying the leadership mantle for this franchise and that's no easy task.

But the only way last year's first-round pick - the supposed savior for the Dolphins - can move up from his position as a third-tier NFL quarterback is by drastically improving in his areas of weakness.

Telegraphs passes leads to turnovers, especially on third downs.

This video features every interception Tannehill threw last season. Do you notice the common thread?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 4366.story

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:33 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Ryan Tannehill can't remain NFL's worst QB on third downs
Telegraphs passes leads to turnovers

Go down the list since Marino retired....tell me about it Omar.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Funny he doesn't tweet this stuff. Almost like he saw Prisco's report and then basically piggy backed on it.

Lets face it, most of us are going to obsess over Tannehill's performance all summer long. As I said in another post, Pat Kirwan wrote Henne was going to be a future star during the 09 summer. In 2011 we heard he was reborn and a new QB. I bought into it through complete hope. Whoops.

I can remember Randy McMichael praising Joey Harrington during the 06 summer.

We aren't going to know squat until a few weeks into the season.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am not a big fan of Omar Kelly. But he is right. Improving on 3rd downs is a must for Tannehill. A better rushing attack by the Dolphins will lead to more manageable 3rd down scenarios. Hopefully the addition of Wallace, Gibson & Keller will spread defenses out. And I am also hopeful that Tannehill watched the game film on these turnovers and learned from his rookie mistakes. But Tannehill needs to work on not locking on his WR's, not forcing the ball into double coverage, minimizing tipped passes and improve some on his accuracy. Miami is going to go as far as Tannehill can take them. If I were a defensive coordinator planning against Tannehill, I would try and take away the running game and make Tannehill beat me through the air.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There are several valuable points above but Or makes it seem as if we have been waiting a long time for Tannehill to work his way up from third tier status.

He was a very raw rookie with a weak offensive line, a sad Receining corps and a mediocre running game. We need to see improvement, no doubt. But how many rookies in those circumstance are any better than third tier?

Also since when is 27th dead last I. The NFL?

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:47 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Tannehill & this team will be fine. Both will have a break out year putting the recent woes of years past ... in the past.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

degs wrote:
There are several valuable points above but Or makes it seem as if we have been waiting a long time for Tannehill to work his way up from third tier status.

He was a very raw rookie with a weak offensive line, a sad Receining corps and a mediocre running game. We need to see improvement, no doubt. But how many rookies in those circumstance are any better than third tier?

Also since when is 27th dead last I. The NFL?

To improve his overall QB rating which was 27th he suggests Tannehill improve his 3rd down passisng efficiency, in which that specific category he is dead last according to Omar.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:48 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:
By Omar Kelly

Nuff said

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]