View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Thomas, Miller in battle for time at running back 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Thomas, Miller in battle for time at running back
Quote:
y David J. Neal
dneal@MiamiHerald.com

CAMP BATTLE

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said he thought Saturday was the best practice for the running game so far. Although Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller each demonstrated good quickness and burst, Thomas thought one thing cast a dark light on his day — a fumble in team drills that defensive lineman Jared Odrick recovered.

So, call Saturday a nudge forward for Miller, who ...

• An NFL source spotted offensive guard John Jerry sporting a wrapped knee and using crutches at the team hotel. Jerry missed his second consecutive practice Saturday. ...

“Humbling. He’s a special player.”

— nine-year NFL veteran offensive tackle Tyson Clabo, on what it has been like going against speedy defensive end Cameron Wake in practice daily.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/27/3 ... rylink=cpy

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Thomas, Miller in battle for time at running back
The only question to be worked out is whether Thomas sees the field at all

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This article also mentions John Jerry has a knee injury.

• An NFL source spotted offensive guard John Jerry sporting a wrapped knee and using crutches at the team hotel. Jerry missed his second consecutive practice Saturday.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/28/3 ... rylink=cpy

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Andy Kent Dolphins.com @Andy_Kent

Most of the attention so far in training camp has been paid to the new additions to the passing game, but running backs Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas have also been leaving a good impression. ...

In Miller, Nixon sees an improved and explosive back with a similar skill set to Bush as far as his speed and cutting ability and someone that can be a threat as a receiver out of the backfield in addition to being an effective rusher and blocker. He believes the value of that type of back can never be overstated. ...

Thomas battled injuries in each of his first two seasons, with a hamstring costing him playing time as a rookie and a concussion taking him out of the action last year. He also had an issue with fumbles and he is intent on changing all of that this time around.

“My confidence level was so high as a rookie. Then I got hurt and I wasn’t the same,” Thomas said. “Then last year I didn’t put the work in I should have. That’s why I felt I had those injuries. Then this year I came in with a different attitude, changed my workouts and had a different mindset. I’ve got to focus on little things because I’ve got to be able to run the ball this year. There’s no way around that. I’ve got to hold onto the ball and protect it.”

If everything works as planned for the Dolphins, Miller and Thomas will end being compliments to each other and helping the offense.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/artic ... bcc8a9649b

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Then last year I didn’t put the work in I should have. That’s why I felt I had those injuries.

How does working harder prevent concussions????

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I will hazard a guess that he was talking about his running style. Maybe he did not mean he just needed to work harder but harder on the right things? Coach Philbin commented this year that he was pleased with Thomas running style, getting his pads at a lower level.

Seems like I recall people noticing that he had too much of an upright running style and that could be bad for his health and that he needed to get behind his pads to run better and too protect himself.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AQNOR wrote:
I will hazard a guess that he was talking about his running style. Maybe he did not mean he just needed to work harder but harder on the right things? Coach Philbin commented this year that he was pleased with Thomas running style, getting his pads at a lower level.

Seems like I recall people noticing that he had too much of an upright running style and that could be bad for his health and that he needed to get behind his pads to run better and too protect himself.

With the rb not being able to hit with his helmet now....Think the upright style will be more en vogue?

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Probably not I think most are taught to run behind their pads and keep their heads up on contact. Lowering the head puts them more in danger for injury from what I understand.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AQNOR wrote:
Probably not I think most are taught to run behind their pads and keep their heads up on contact. Lowering the head puts them more in danger for injury from what I understand.

Some of the greats ran straight up...One that comes to mind is Dickerson ....Going to be interesting to see how the new rule plays out.

Maybe these guys have a little advantage now

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Even though he proved to be an extremely durable runner, Dickerson’s upright running style was thought by some to be more “dangerous” than the more conventional low to the ground style. “I don’t give players a chance to hit me,” he once offered. “I run upright mostly when I see daylight, so if you watch film you’ll see I don’t get hit in the chest much. Most of the hits I take come on top of the shoulder pads. - See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/relea ... C6cXY.dpuf

Quote:
Tall and powerful, Dickerson had an upright running style that made him look like a sprinter at the 60-yard mark -- right up until the split second before contact, when he'd drop his shoulder and use his 220-pound frame to wipe out a linebacker or safety in his path. A superb athlete with great vision, he was a dominant NFL runner until the mileage became too much.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... s-all-time

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]