View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Evan Silva evaluates 2nd Year RB Lamar Miller 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Evan Silva evaluates 2nd Year RB Lamar Miller
A good talent analysis by RotoWorld (believe it or not).

Evan Silva wrote:
Lamar Miller

Before diving into Miller's first-year game tape, I went back and watched five of his heaviest-workload college games to get a stronger feel for the kind of runner he was before he entered the pros. His rookie season provides a small sample size, so it was an opportunity to become more familiar with Miller the runner. Also, I believe playing styles, tendencies, and some abilities are tweaked when pro coaching staffs, and conditioning and weight room experts enter the discussion. I always find it fascinating when NFL rookies look better in certain areas just one year removed from college. And I believe this happens more often than some people might think.

Miller's rookie year consisted of 57 touches as he was slow to learn the playbook and failed to endear himself in pass protection. Only seven of Miller's rookie-year touches came on third down, including four of his six receptions. Thus, 87.7 percent of his touches occurred on first and second down. I still came away impressed after watching him. The former Miami Hurricane demonstrated better wiggle than I noticed on Miller's college film. While not an exceptionally elusive runner, Miller's feet are quick enough that he can make defenders miss when necessary. One play stood out in the Week 10 Titans game. On second-and-one from a single-back formation, Miller made an explosive lateral cut behind the line of scrimmage to elude strong safety Jordan Babineaux charging downhill. Miller turned what well could have been a negative play into a nine-yard gain.

Lacking in Miller's game is physicality, a characteristic I also noticed from him at Miami. In more than one instance, Miller dove at the feet of an oncoming defender instead of powering through or going by him. He essentially gave up on those plays. While Miller flashed a stiff arm -- in particular on a 22-yard inside power run to break Darrelle Revis' arm tackle against the Jets in Week 3 -- Miller's game is finesse. He is not a pile pusher or leg-drive runner. I don't think he loves contact.

There were still plenty of positives. Miller's nifty feet, darting style, and plus balance could help him atone for a lack of consistent lateral explosion. His calling cards as a runner are outstanding up-field burst, ability to squirt through traffic, and dangerous perimeter speed. Miller is a bona fide playmaker when he gets space on the outside. His straight-line acceleration jumps off the screen.

The Dolphins liked putting Miller in the I-formation and the offset I, which explains their interest in free agent fullback Vonta Leach. Jorvorskie Lane can be a force in short yardage and on special teams, but he was an inconsistent lead blocker last season. As the year progressed, Miller was used more and more as the sidesaddle back next to Ryan Tannehill on shotgun plays. The tape suggests Miller was beginning to earn the coaching staff's trust as a receiver and pass protector.

Question marks remain about Miller's consistency in pass pro and whether a relatively soft back can function as a true offensive workhorse. The Dolphins appear to be thrusting Miller into that role in his second season. The Fins primarily run a zone-blocking ground game that generally doesn't require backs to churn their legs through defenders and be physical after-contact-yardage players. Vision, hole selection, and speed through the hole are more important elements for zone runners.

There is no question that Miller offers big-play ability, and in the admittedly small sample size I found him to be a sure-handed receiving back. Miller's current Average Draft Position is late in round three. That is perhaps a bit rich for my taste, but Miller will offer top-15 fantasy running back upside if he holds off Daniel Thomas and rookie Mike Gillislee to be Miami's every-down back.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... mar-miller

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Evan Silva evaluates 2nd Year RB Lamar Miller
I just want to point out that being the HOMER that I am I took him in the early rounds in our fantasy draft & so far within the first 15 rounds I took 3 Dolphins including the this years league MVP , Ryan Tannehill.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:41 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

he was slow to learn the playbook

Well, seeing how he has to write down his monthly goals and one of them is not to cheat on his girlfriend, I see why he is slow to learn.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Makchell wrote:
he was slow to learn the playbook

Well, seeing how he has to write down his monthly goals and one of them is not to cheat on his girlfriend, I see why he is slow to learn.

LOL .... in the playbook a sweep right is called do not cheat on your girlfriend. Makes it a bit easier.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Second Round

13. Matt Forte -- New coach Trestman will make Forte a machine in PPR leagues.
14. Stevan Ridley -- 290 carries in 2012; don't be surprised if he tops 300 in 2013.
15. Steven Jackson -- Receptions, touchdowns should spike in Falcons offense.
16. Brandon Marshall -- Set up for another top 2-3 targets season under Trestman.
17. A.J. Green -- NFL's second most talented wide receiver, behind only Megatron.
18. Dez Bryant -- Splitting hairs between Marshall, Green, Dez, and Julio in Top 5.
19. Julio Jones -- The one ascending player in otherwise aging skill-player group.
20. Lamar Miller -- Best breakout running back candidate in fantasy this season.
21. Larry Fitzgerald -- Arians will use him in the Hines Ward/Reggie Wayne role.
22. Frank Gore -- He's 30 now, but has plenty of juice left and dominant O-Line.
23. Demaryius Thomas -- Similar skills to Julio with superior quarterback play.
24. Chris Johnson -- Hope is his "bust" runs turn to "booms" behind upgraded OL.

Now Silva says he would take Miller in the 2nd round.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]