View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Your thoughts on the game? 
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Post Your thoughts on the game?
Overall, it was a good game but the OL has serious depth issues. Martin wasn't the problem yesterday. It was the middle of the line..ie the OGs and Center along with occasional pressure from Clabo's side. Oddly enough the first sack was from the interior line against Pouncey but the Jag starters only rushed 4 and got consistent pressure on Tannehill. The Jags couldn't sack Betty White last year so this is a concern.

RB - Jonas Gray is not only making a serious push to make this team, my thoughts are he is making a serious push for the role to spell Miller. Thomas had some nice runs but he has to be concerned at this point. Gray has a very low center of gravity and has great vision (on one play his assigned hole was plugged and without dancing he made a cut into an open lane). He is built like a bowling ball with legs so the first tackler rarely gets him down. Right now, he is the preseason star on this team.

TE - Isn't great to have a pro-bowl caliber TE on the team? Not only was Keller being mugged on that TD throw I still can't figure out how he caught it. I can't wait to see how this offense clicks with him playing at a high level. One play to highlight the potential of Keller. The Jag safety moves up on a fake blitz but couldn't drop fast enough to keep Tannehill from dropping a 20yd throw to Keller over the top of the LB. This is a recognition play. Both the QB and the TE have to recognize the safety moving up and be on the same page.

WR - Another quiet night for the WRs. Bumphis continues to make a case to be the number 4 guy. I like how he catches in traffic. McNutt just looks faster than everyone on the field. He might make the team just based on his size and speed. It is crowded

2nd Team Defense - They were better against the run against Dallas but not by much. 3rd and 1 they gave up a 30yd run. The Jags couldn't sniff a first down until the 2nd team took the field. The only one really stood out was Will Davis. What a night for him. He had a tipped pass on a blitz and an INT where he played it perfectly. He is another player making a serious push for a starting role. I think he sealed Carrolls fate last night on a roster spot. I think Marshall's nickle position is in jeopardy.

Not a great night but when I saw him run in open field, I couldn't help but notice Dion Sims. He's fluid, gets open, and catches the ball well. TE will be a strength this year.

KICKER - Who gets excited about a kicker? Right now with Caleb and Carp, Miami has an embarrassment of riches. I think Caleb just took Carp's Job last night so look for a trade possibility for Carp.

Overall, impressive outting for the defense and a mixed review for the offense. The backup offense moved the ball with regularity but Tannehill was consistently pressured and it took them 4 drives to get a first down.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:29 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Your thoughts on the game?
My thoughts are that we have better backups than the Jags.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]