View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 My 2cents on preseason so far. 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post My 2cents on preseason so far.
So, I'm not going to say I was right about our left side of the OL just yet. But, the Right side is freaking me out. Knowing Tannehill is great at rolling to the right, scares me even more. I think the freak out over Martin was over the fact we lost one of the best in Jake Long. Is it a coincidence that Martin moves to LT and now our RT spot is lacking?

As for Tannehill, I am lower on him now than before the preseason started. Is it his confidence is still lacking a bit because Wallace has been held out of practice a lot? The both have serious upside in long passes, but I drafted Martin on my fantasy team because I think Martin is going to be a freak this year with Wallace being over the top.

Caleb Sturgis was a solid pickup in the draft. I know a 5th was high, but a 58 yarder? Yes sir, very solid, he scored 9 points for us Friday.

Has anyone else looked at the 1st round picks under Ireland? He has hit on every single one. On that alone I think should justify one more year.

Thank you all,

Andy

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:58 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: My 2cents on preseason so far.
I'm sorry I meant Dustin Keller not Martin for the under by Wallace opening up top, please shoot me now, no more hearing from me until 2014 I promise, bangs head against beer glasses.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:59 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I am looking at the 1st rounders. Must be missing something.

2 starters out of 6 first round picks is absolute garbage drafting.. Al Davis was better at selecting players...
Long, Davis, Odrick, Pouncey, Tanne, Jordan.....

As far as the rest, I think Tanne is getting chased around way to much to evaluate his progression. When he has no protection, the rest turns into a mess. They need to do something about the line, because Jax made us look bad and last time I checked, they were not a good team.

Atl, NO, Balto in the first 5 with that line, going to be ugly.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:00 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

First off, its early preseason with a vanilla offense on display. So lets not freak out.

The o-line is a problem that is correctable. Its not going to be a strength, we all have to accept that.

Tannehill is not going to be a world beater. If he is something like 2nd year Joe Flacco then Miami will be fine. The TD throw we saw to Keller was something we haven't seen from any QB for a while. Moore had a couple of those (non-broken coverage TDs) to Marshall, but this was something we weren't seeing to a TE.

I'm impressed with the running game. I like all four backs.

When the quick throws are to Gibson and Hartline instead of McNutt we'll start seeing different results. The receiving group is fine.

The defense is legit. They are going to keep this team in a lot of games.

Again, this is a 9 or 10 win team barring injuries. They will challenge for a playoff spot, but I'm not betting on a division crown.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:05 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Jammer - I know its not time to panic but it has to concern everyone that J'ville rushed 4 guys against our 5 and continually got pressure or sacked RT. They didn't blitz...ie they ran a vanilla defense. I wouldn't be shocked if Miami is picking up OG's that have been waived before the season. I just can't believe with that many draft picks they couldn't land a decent guard.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
I am looking at the 1st rounders. Must be missing something.

2 starters out of 6 first round picks is absolute garbage drafting.. Al Davis was better at selecting players...
Long, Davis, Odrick, Pouncey, Tanne, Jordan.....

Every single one is a starter somewhere. Regime change is the catch here. Long was Pro Bowler, Miami tried to get him back. That is more Philbin control than Ireland drafting.

Davis is gone for maturity reasons. As a late first round pick he played very well. Again, Philbin had no patience for him.

Odrick is your DT of the future and did a solid job at DE. Pouncey is Pro Bowl caliber starter. Tannehill and Jordan are too soon to tell.

We can continue the debate, but I'm quite certain Ireland wanted Ryan and not Long but Parcells overruled him.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:20 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
I know its not time to panic but it has to concern everyone that J'ville rushed 4 guys against our 5 and continually got pressure or sacked RT.

I agree with this. Hopefully (key word) the ground game and play action pass will alleviate some of this.

Rock Sexton put out a nice write up about Martin actually being fine and the added protection being misplaced. Right now the RG spot is weak and probably altering what Clabo can do. That needs to be addressed.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:22 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

My expectations of first round picks is having more than a couple productive years on the team that drafted them.

Odrick is still developing, 4 years after being drafted...

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:34 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

McNutt hasn't been bad... Tannehill has just thrown nearly every quick pass behind him.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:48 am

McNutt is McFast. I think he makes the roster merely on potential.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:16 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
My expectations of first round picks is having more than a couple productive years on the team that drafted them.

Odrick is still developing, 4 years after being drafted...

Developing? Pretty sure Odrick did a solid job the last two years. He's a late first round pick who can play outside on 1st and 2nd down, and then kick inside for 3rd down. Lost his first year to injury. He's entering his 4th year.

Despite what people think, Ireland has a pretty decent overall track record for drafts. Once he hits on QB no one will notice the rest (and hopefully Tannehill is the guy)

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:51 pm

On the guard situation...could it be that Jerry is better than we all think?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]