View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 OT keys fishing... 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post OT keys fishing...
Wow, what a trip! I landed a 80# Tarpon all on video! We also caught mahi and various sharks throughout the trip. We got 48 lobsters to top it off. The most amazing, humbling experience I had in a long time happened on this trip. We went out Sunday 20 miles into the gulfstream to catch mahi. We set up a drift on a weed line and then we chum and free dive to spear mahi, wahoo, tuna or any other pelagic fish that swim by. It was about 8:30am and I jumped in on this weed line to explore the area. I peeked under the line and I found a 10ft tiger shark swimming real slowly around, I got back to the boat in a timely, non panic manner and as soon as I got onto the boat, I looked in direction of where he was and low and behold, he was right behind the boat. No matter how badass you are in the water, sharks are the king of the sea and they can humble you in an instance.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:41 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: OT keys fishing...
Yeap, spear fishing usually draws them in....hence the 25ft stringer. As a diver, I've been in the water with bulls, white tips and galapagos sharks...but never a tiger. That one would tighten my sphincter just a little.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Wow Makchell..........I've done a lot of offshore fishing too.......generally out of the OuterBanks, NC. When you get a chance, please post some pics and/or video. Love to see that Tiger Shark.

Thanks

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:40 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
Wow, what a trip! I landed a 80# Tarpon all on video!

Sounds like a great fishing trip, Mak. Good thing you saw the shark. I"m sure he saw you.

Is there any way to upload it to youtube so we can see some of it?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:49 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Here's a quick vid from my last trip...............

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:10 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm editing it now, I'll upload as soon as I'm done and I'll let you guys know.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:57 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

shularino wrote:
Here's a quick vid from my last trip...............

Dang, you're going to need a bigger boat.

:fart:

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:32 am
Profile WWW

Even now, that video clip looks real....haha

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:02 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Wow, what a trip! I landed a 80# Tarpon all on video! We also caught mahi and various sharks throughout the trip. We got 48 lobsters to top it off. The most amazing, humbling experience I had in a long time happened on this trip. We went out Sunday 20 miles into the gulfstream to catch mahi. We set up a drift on a weed line and then we chum and free dive to spear mahi, wahoo, tuna or any other pelagic fish that swim by. It was about 8:30am and I jumped in on this weed line to explore the area. I peeked under the line and I found a 10ft tiger shark swimming real slowly around, I got back to the boat in a timely, non panic manner and as soon as I got onto the boat, I looked in direction of where he was and low and behold, he was right behind the boat. No matter how badass you are in the water, sharks are the king of the sea and they can humble you in an instance.

Serious question?

What Floridian calls dolphin, mahi? That's just wrong, dude.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I've always called "dolphin" mahi, sorry bro....I guess when I go to dinner and they have "mahi dinner" on the menu, I'll ask them why not have it "dolphin dinner". lol

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I would love to know why people call it a Dolphin to begin with, its a bit of a mystery with plenty of fishing stories.
Old sailors say that the schoolies play in the wakes of ships out in the lanes, something many have seen the other Dolphins doing and therefore adopting the same name...
But for every 100 stories of a fishing boat, there are probably 200 exaggerations... By next week I will be telling stories of the time I saw my friend shularino eaten by a great white...

But, I will go out for Dolphin and Mahi, depending on who invites me, I do not discriminate lol...

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Here's something you don't see everyday. A Tiger Shark eating another shark. Per the News Report, the picture has been verified as valid.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]