View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Omar: 10 reasons for Dolphins fans to have optimism 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Omar: 10 reasons for Dolphins fans to have optimism
Quote:
By Omar Kelly Sun Sentinel

9:11 a.m. EDT, August 13, 2013

I'd like to enter a guilty plea. I openly admit I'm a glass half-empty kind of guy.

That's just my style, my way of thinking. I prepare for the worst in every instance, and if I get something better than the worst I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The worst the Miami Dolphins will be in 2013 is a six or seven win team again. I'm certain of that because that's the worst this franchise has done since 2007, when injuries decimated Cam Cameron's mediocre squad.

Since I know my style wears on some of you optimist types I'd like to present a peace offering.

Here are my ten reasons for optimism about the 2013 Dolphins season based on four weeks of training camp.

1. Offensive weaponary shouldn't be a problem this year for Miami. The Dolphins should have three very good receivers in Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson, and three decent tight ends/H-backs this season in Dustin Keller, Charles Clay and Dion Sims if everyone stays healthy.

2. The Dolphins have one of the deepest, fiercest defensive lines in the entire NFL. You've seen them eat up the opposition for three straight years, and this season they got better at rushing the quarterback because of Dion Jordan's addition, and the development of Olivier Vernon and Derrick Shelby.

3. Dolphins got a gift from the injury Gods in Brent Grimes, who the Atlanta Falcons had no business dumping because he's still a top NFL cornerback. Grimes is so good when he gives up a reception in practice I'm shocked. And he faces MIKE WALLACE daily. I expect a Pro Bowl type season from Grimes.

The rest here: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 1883.story

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:19 pm
Profile YIM
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Omar: 10 reasons for Dolphins fans to have optimism
Quote:
8. This franchise has plenty of young players - Lamar Miller, Mike Pouncey, Reshad Jones, Jared Odrick, Olivier Vernon, Dion Jordan, Dannell Ellerbe, Charles Clay, Will Davis, Marcus Thigpen (as a returner) - who have the potential to become stars in the NFL. And that doesn't factor in the players like Cameron Wake, Richie Incognito, Randy Starks, Paul Soliai, Tyson Clabo and Brent Grimes who have already earned Pro Bowl recognition.

this one will be the reason we make it into the postseason.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:39 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

5. Miami has a young quarterback with all the tools in Ryan Tannehill. He needs time and patience to get better in critical areas (third down, red zone, fourth quarter execution, KILLS), but he has no limitations physically and mentally. And truth is, if he's not good enough Matt Moore can win games for Miami as his replacement.

I hear you Swerve, but everything depends on QB play. It always has and it always will. RT needs to make quicker decisions and get rid of the ball especially with the OL. There were plays to be made on the 1st series agasint Jax but he blew it. Miller was open and I believe a TE was open too, but he continues to lock onto recievers.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
3. Dolphins got a gift from the injury Gods in Brent Grimes, who the Atlanta Falcons had no business dumping because he's still a top NFL cornerback. Grimes is so good when he gives up a reception in practice I'm shocked. And he faces MIKE WALLACE daily. I expect a Pro Bowl type season from Grimes.

I need to see it in a game before I get ultra excited.

Every training camp Will Allen used to be the same way. He was solid come September, but always underwhelming based on training camp reports.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:47 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phins Rock wrote:
Quote:

I need to see it in a game before I get ultra excited.

Every training camp Will Allen used to be the same way. He was solid come September, but always underwhelming based on training camp reports.

I hear that. I'm not sure if Wallace is that difficult a challenge for Grimes, other than the speed. I like our DC tho, Grimes is in a good spot

Not a bad write up for Omar. But we have been burned a few too many times as Phans over the past several years. I'm doing my best not to drink so much koolaid, that I'm let down yet again.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:14 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:
5. Miami has a young quarterback with all the tools in Ryan Tannehill. He needs time and patience to get better in critical areas (third down, red zone, fourth quarter execution, KILLS), but he has no limitations physically and mentally. And truth is, if he's not good enough Matt Moore can win games for Miami as his replacement.

I hear you Swerve, but everything depends on QB play. It always has and it always will. RT needs to make quicker decisions and get rid of the ball especially with the OL. There were plays to be made on the 1st series agasint Jax but he blew it. Miller was open and I believe a TE was open too, but he continues to lock onto recievers.

I agree with you Mak but some of that responsibility needs to be on our coaches. Its RTs 4th season playing QB so scaling the offense to his progress is in everyones benefit, imo

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]