Phinfever.com

Catch the madness!

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 4755
Quote:
By Chris Perkins

11:41 a.m. EDT, August 14, 2013

DAVIE – Dolphins right guard Nate Garner is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury he sustained Monday, according to a report on NFL.com. ...

Backup center Josh Samuda, who was yanked at right guard and returned to center after a poor performance in the Dolphins’ 27-3 victory at Jacksonville, was back at first-team right guard in Wednesday’s practice.

But right guard is becoming the No. 1 concern for a team that thought it had the position solidified entering training camp. ...


http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... l+Blogs%29


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 11928
Location: Raleigh, NC
Indefinitely? Good thing John Jerry is back on the field.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:07 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Tough loss if he's out for the year. His versatility as the 6th lineman has always been invaluable.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
Getting very thin at O-line...

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:37 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
Rich wrote:
Getting very thin at O-line...


I'm not overly concerned yet, but the depth right now has too many ifs to feel comfortable.

Dallas Thomas needs to at least be a solid back-up at multiple spots. Lance Louis needs to come back strong from his ACL. John Jerry needs to get healthy. Yeatman needs to be as good at both tackle positions as he's been advertised in camp thus far. Samuda needs to be as good in games as he is (supposedly) in practice.

There are names with talent, but very few concrete things we can count on right now.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Phins Rock wrote:
Rich wrote:
Getting very thin at O-line...


I'm not overly concerned yet, but the depth right now has too many ifs to feel comfortable.

Dallas Thomas needs to at least be a solid back-up at multiple spots. Lance Louis needs to come back strong from his ACL. John Jerry needs to get healthy. Yeatman needs to be as good at both tackle positions as he's been advertised in camp thus far. Samuda needs to be as good in games as he is (supposedly) in practice.

There are names with talent, but very few concrete things we can count on right now.


So ....

1. A rookie who's been beaten like a red-headed stepchild
2. A man recovering from a bad knee injury
3. A man who constantly struggles with weight and is also recovering from injury
4. A TE/OL conversion project

It's shaky. I don't see how to spin any of it positively at the moment.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 11928
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rock Sexton wrote:

So ....

1. A rookie who's been beaten like a red-headed stepchild
2. A man recovering from a bad knee injury
3. A man who constantly struggles with weight and is also recovering from injury
4. A TE/OL conversion project

It's shaky. I don't see how to spin any of it positively at the moment.


Except for Pouncey and Incognito, that OL was weak to begin with. Incognito isn't the quick guard the Dolphins need for this new offense.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
It's OK guys. If Tannehill is elite, it won't matter who we have at offensive line. His elite powers will make pass rushers rush slower or go in the wrong direction altogether...

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:35 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8216
It's OK guys. If Tannehill is elite, it won't matter who we have at offensive line. His elite powers will make pass rushers rush slower or go in the wrong direction altogether...


Exaggerate much? I believe you slammed a poster earlier in the year for the same thing. Like I've said in other posts, the OL is important. For sure, but a great QB can make a bad OL look good with quick decisions and moving the pocket. Every team in the NFL wants a solid OL and QB but it just doesn't happen. Back on topic, the OL is getting thin and it is a major concern. DO we bring in a vet? I don't know....


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
Makchell wrote:
Exaggerate much?


Yes, that is the point.

Quote:
I believe you slammed a poster earlier in the year for the same thing.


Except I was being fascetious, the other poster wasn't.

Nice try.

Quote:
For sure, but a great QB can make a bad OL look good with quick decisions and moving the pocket.


Yes, you said and then provided examples... except the examples you provided were made up with good offensive lines.

Quote:
Every team in the NFL wants a solid OL and QB but it just doesn't happen.


But every QB playing at an elite level at least has a competent offensive line in front of him.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:26 pm 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11202
Location: Lancaster, PA
Makchell wrote:
It's OK guys. If Tannehill is elite, it won't matter who we have at offensive line. His elite powers will make pass rushers rush slower or go in the wrong direction altogether...


Exaggerate much? I believe you slammed a poster earlier in the year for the same thing. Like I've said in other posts, the OL is important. For sure, but a great QB can make a bad OL look good with quick decisions and moving the pocket. Every team in the NFL wants a solid OL and QB but it just doesn't happen. Back on topic, the OL is getting thin and it is a major concern. DO we bring in a vet? I don't know....


yup, any time I exaggerate it's highly illegal on this forum. But Rich has free reign in the exaggeration department. Pot meet kettle.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8216
yup, any time I exaggerate it's highly illegal on this forum. But Rich has free reign in the exaggeration department. Pot meet kettle.


He was "joking" though Swerve. Rich, you win, you see your point of view only and that's it. I've known for a number of years now and I've never once "heard" you say wow, good point, I never thought of that. I'll just keep doing what I've done with you over the last five to seven years, let it ago when you have your final word and this thread will drift into the abyss, there is no point.....take care man.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
swerve13 wrote:
yup, any time I exaggerate it's highly illegal on this forum. But Rich has free reign in the exaggeration department. Pot meet kettle.


In your mind, you're not exaggerating. You think you're stating a fact.

Do you work for the mainstream media or something?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1646
Garner is like the Fred Banks of the O-Line. Talented but can't stay healthy enough to put together a string of good games.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5323
Location: Wellington, FL
Good thing we traded up to develop that DE...

:hithead:

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
10acjed wrote:
Good thing we traded up to develop that DE...

:hithead:


The top of the draft is not about addressing immediate needs but about finding special talent.

If Lane Johnson turns out to be anything less than a perennial Pro Bowler and Dion Jordan is the next Jason Taylor, it would have been the right pick.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5323
Location: Wellington, FL
How many Superbowl's did Jason win us?

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
10acjed wrote:
How many Superbowl's did Jason win us?


Is football a one man sport?

How many teams in recent memory have won Superbowls with a top 5 pick at left tackle?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6496
Rich wrote:
The top of the draft is not about addressing immediate needs but about finding special talent.

If Lane Johnson turns out to be anything less than a perennial Pro Bowler and Dion Jordan is the next Jason Taylor, it would have been the right pick.

Jason Taylor was found in the 3rd Rd. Just sayin'


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:35 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8216

How many teams in recent memory have won Superbowls with a top 5 pick at left tackle?


You got it Rich!!!


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5323
Location: Wellington, FL
Trade up to #3 to draft a guy who wont start? Come on Rich, you cant be on board with that...

Sorry but I think it was a bad pick. Cant convince me otherwise, specially now that the biggest concern is the o-line and the end of last season there was problems

This team hangs on the fate of our young QB, failing to protect him is a mistake

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:21 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8216
I love this board! :awe:


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
10acjed wrote:
Trade up to #3 to draft a guy who wont start? Come on Rich, you cant be on board with that...


I'm not happy about it, but the Giants gave up a lot for Eli Manning and he didn't start right off the bat.

But the draft is chess, not checkers. You seem to be stuck on moving one square at a time.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:
The top of the draft is not about addressing immediate needs but about finding special talent.

If Lane Johnson turns out to be anything less than a perennial Pro Bowler and Dion Jordan is the next Jason Taylor, it would have been the right pick.

Jason Taylor was found in the 3rd Rd. Just sayin'


Not relevant.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1646
Rich wrote:
10acjed wrote:
Trade up to #3 to draft a guy who wont start? Come on Rich, you cant be on board with that...


I'm not happy about it, but the Giants gave up a lot for Eli Manning and he didn't start right off the bat.

But the draft is chess, not checkers. You seem to be stuck on moving one square at a time.


Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it? Look how many Super Bowls Eli has won compared to Phillip Rivers.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11202
Location: Lancaster, PA
yes we needed a left tackle, but that doen't take away the fact that Jordan is a great player. I think people will be singing a different tune when he breaks out. Even if Jonathan Martin gets Tannehill killed. LOL


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
swerve13 wrote:
but that doen't take away the fact that Jordan is a great player


He hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, but he's already great?

That's "Chuck Norris" or "Dos Equis - Most Interesting Man in the World" stuff right there.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 5107
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Makchell wrote:
I love this board! :awe:

LOL ... I was having a crappy Friday until I read this thread.

_________________
GASE IS ON THE CASE!!! 2016 SB CHAMPIONS.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:58 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
swerve13 wrote:
yes we needed a left tackle, but that doen't take away the fact that Jordan is a great player. I think people will be singing a different tune when he breaks out. Even if Jonathan Martin gets Tannehill killed. LOL


Have you come around to the good side?

All this talk about Dion starting or not is ridiculous, IMO. If he's in there on 3rd down doing similar things to what Aldon Smith did his rookie season than that's more than good enough for me.

Either way this isn't about 2013. This is about the next 10 years. And 10 years from now, (even 3 years from now), I'm extremely confident than we'll all be glad we took Dion instead of a LT, regardless of how good Lane Johnson might end up being.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
Phins Rock wrote:
I'm extremely confident than we'll all be glad we took Dion instead of a LT, regardless of how good Lane Johnson might end up being.


Unless pancake blocks start being tracked and become a fantasy stat. ;)

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:18 am 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11202
Location: Lancaster, PA
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
but that doen't take away the fact that Jordan is a great player


He hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, but he's already great?

That's "Chuck Norris" or "Dos Equis - Most Interesting Man in the World" stuff right there.



so you're saying he wasn't a great player at Oregon? clowns


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:39 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
but that doen't take away the fact that Jordan is a great player


He hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, but he's already great?

That's "Chuck Norris" or "Dos Equis - Most Interesting Man in the World" stuff right there.



so you're saying he wasn't a great player at Oregon? clowns


You said he's a great player. Rich said he hasn't proven that yet in the NFL (which he hasn't).

What he did at Oregon has no relevance as of this point forward.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 708
Ryan Leaf also had a great college career................

_________________
Miami Dolphins, Fist Pump Like Champions in 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016!
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4624
Location: MA.
If i remember correctly, Swerve wanted an o lineman in the worst way on draft day?

Good to see you can root for a guy you didn't want.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:49 am 
Offline
2016 Draft Analyst
2016 Draft Analyst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 11202
Location: Lancaster, PA
Kev1321 wrote:
If i remember correctly, Swerve wanted an o lineman in the worst way on draft day?

Good to see you can root for a guy you didn't want.



yup, I was in favor of moving up for one of the left tackles, never imagined that we would trade up for Dion. Nobody saw that coming, and I was a huge fan of the move immediately. A great player is a great player.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 am
Posts: 91
Location: Canada
swerve13 wrote:
Nobody saw that coming, and I was a huge fan of the move immediately. A great player is a great player.

Especially since it only cost a 2nd rounder. Usually trading up from 12 to 3 would have cost multiple picks.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:29 pm 
Offline
2016 Thursday Blog Writer
2016 Thursday Blog Writer

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6681
Quote:
But every QB playing at an elite level at least has a competent offensive line in front of him.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... kings?pg=3

Atlanta, Seattle, San Fran, and the Chargers weren't competent. It is the chicken and the egg. There are those who want to make excuses for RT in year 2. They want to lay any issue with the passing game at the feet of the OL. My thoughts are he has to quit being so careful with the ball. Comfort with throwing downfeld comes with trying to do that. I've seen 2 preseason games of mid range and short stuff. He's got to do better...even with issues on the OL. Elite QBs play at a high level every year..despite the OL in some cases.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 4624
Location: MA.
NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
But every QB playing at an elite level at least has a competent offensive line in front of him.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... kings?pg=3

Atlanta, Seattle, San Fran, and the Chargers weren't competent. It is the chicken and the egg. There are those who want to make excuses for RT in year 2. They want to lay any issue with the passing game at the feet of the OL. My thoughts are he has to quit being so careful with the ball. Comfort with throwing downfeld comes with trying to do that. I've seen 2 preseason games of mid range and short stuff. He's got to do better...even with issues on the OL. Elite QBs play at a high level every year..despite the OL in some cases.


The Steelers o line was even worse...Not so sure about the San Fran thing though


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:57 pm 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8216
Atlanta, Seattle, San Fran, and the Chargers weren't competent. It is the chicken and the egg. There are those who want to make excuses for RT in year 2. They want to lay any issue with the passing game at the feet of the OL. My thoughts are he has to quit being so careful with the ball. Comfort with throwing downfeld comes with trying to do that. I've seen 2 preseason games of mid range and short stuff. He's got to do better...even with issues on the OL. Elite QBs play at a high level every year..despite the OL in some cases.


take the 9ers out of the picture. The rest of those teams sucked until a franchise QB was found. It is the chicken and the egg syndrome and I don't have an answer. IMO, it's all about QB play, some disagree, some agree. What I do know is that we have sucked since Marino retired and we have spent 1st rds, 2nd rd, 3rd rds ETC on OL and we still suck.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24723
Location: Miami, FL
swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
but that doen't take away the fact that Jordan is a great player


He hasn't taken a snap in a regular season game, but he's already great?

That's "Chuck Norris" or "Dos Equis - Most Interesting Man in the World" stuff right there.



so you're saying he wasn't a great player at Oregon? clowns


You said he IS a great player, not that he was a great player in college.

_________________
Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r