View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Change of heart for Parcells 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Change of heart for Parcells
Quote:
Bill Parcells has seemingly abandoned the old Giants template for winning a championship. He obviously recognizes you cannot win with just a good running game and good defense unless you have Lawrence Taylor, too, and the Dolphins have been lacking an LT and shown little alacrity for re-signing JT.

So being able to score points is the next best thing and the Dolphins should do more of that with a wide receiver corps that everyone must respect. For the first time since he has been Miami's coach, Tony Sparano now can say he likes Miami's receivers and we can actually believe him.

This trade, expensive in dollars and draft picks, also changes how we view the Dolphins off the field.

When Parcells arrived, he promised no ``problem children.''

The arrests of three Miami players -- Tony McDaniel, Will Allen and Ronnie Brown -- since January, and the signing of enigmatic guard Richie Incognito tested the limits of that promise.

This move suggests the Dolphins now can go into next week's draft with an eye on defense. Defense is where I thought they were headed in the first round anyway, because at this moment, Miami lacks a starting free safety and starting outside linebacker.

But what if the Dolphins want to become truly radical? What if they pick Dez Bryant if he's available, or select electric running back C.J. Spiller?

Neither fits Miami's prototype. It would be the unexpected, unconventional thing for the Dolphins to do. But so was trading for and signing Brandon Marshall.

That move changed everything.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/14/1 ... z0lBGyd3MY

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Change of heart for Parcells
I would say Bill has adapted rather then abandoned..I'm not sure the Giants so called 'template' works in this league any more,you can't touch the receivers you can't touch the quarter back we just have to face facts this game is all about. about offensive fire power and not defensive supremacy

It seems defenses now just need to be be competitive and capable of putting out the odd fire but not expected to single handily win games..it just seems that a defense is considered successful if the opposition is held to 20 points or less..

Last edited by paydurt on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
When Parcells arrived, he promised no ``problem children.''

The arrests of three Miami players -- Tony McDaniel, Will Allen and Ronnie Brown -- since January, and the signing of enigmatic guard Richie Incognito tested the limits of that promise.

Did he really promise that? From what I recall, he said that he does not like problem children. He never said that he wouldn't add any.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Figured the story would be from Armando Salguero. Parcells still believes in power football and having size. But it not like Parcells is that inflexible.

I can remember the years with New England when he had Drew Bledsoe at QB, I think the Pats lead the NFL in passing attempts.

Miami addressess a need and all of a sudden, Parcells has changed. Okay.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]