View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 So who do we draft with our number 12 pick now? 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post So who do we draft with our number 12 pick now?
There are many options that we could take here. We could go the logical reason and stay defense (a pass rusher or safety; McShay said we are definitely going pass rusher now). Or could we try and create a dynamically explosive offense by adding CJ Spiller? Or could we possibly trade down and acquire more picks? I am torn between a pass rusher (because I know we NEED one) and SPILLER.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: So who do we draft with our number 12 pick now?
I believe we will try to trade down to get more picks, but if we trade Brown I think we will take Spiller. If we stay put and we don't trade Brown, I'm thinking OLB or FS.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:25 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I would try to trade down. I don't know who wants to move up to 12, but I would explore that fully first. If we stay where we are I would be tempted to go with Spiller. He also could be a game changer like Marshall.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:39 am
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

Trade down to the mid 20's and grab Ryan Mathews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlZOFsVkjAo

I'd be happy with the defensive BPA. Dez Bryant opposite of Marshall would be pretty dynamic though.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:43 am
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

TennFinFan13 wrote:

I'm happy with the defensive BPA. Dez Bryant opposite of Marshall would be pretty dynamic though.

Draft night is gonna be very interesting once the Dolphins are on the clock....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:45 am
Profile YIM
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I've read that Miami is confident they can trade down. That opens up many new possibilities.

I'm liking the possibility of Earl Thomas.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:47 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

The Hen wrote:
TennFinFan13 wrote:

I'm happy with the defensive BPA. Dez Bryant opposite of Marshall would be pretty dynamic though.

Draft night is gonna be very interesting once the Dolphins are on the clock....

Yes, I have gotten completely revamped about 2010 with this trade... I was content with us continuing on the rebuild for the future... Someone in the trifect obviously wants to win while rebuilding... (Sparano?) Man I like that guy....

Earl Thomas & maybe Jimmy Graham (TE) and we bring JT back... Could be a tough team for 2010

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:49 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

If we stay at 12 I'm obviously onboard the CJ Spiller wagon.

I think we'll trade down and get back that 2nd rounder though. Could even trade down multiple times and get the 2nd back for next year too.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:12 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Trade down recoup pick(s)..., we need picks especially a 2nd - there is a great stable of D players and not so many outstanding O players...

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:15 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i say we draft spiller at 12 if he is there. we can use our other draft picks on a majority of defensive players (nt, pass rush, safety). the nfl is rapidly changing (look at new orleans and indy) and it is becoming an offensive league, especially pass happy. i think we have a solid o line, a qb with a cannon, and now a big time play maker at wr. adding spiller would only make us more explosive.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

rhoads30 wrote:
i say we draft spiller at 12 if he is there. we can use our other draft picks on a majority of defensive players (nt, pass rush, safety). the nfl is rapidly changing (look at new orleans and indy) and it is becoming an offensive league, especially pass happy. i think we have a solid o line, a qb with a cannon, and now a big time play maker at wr. adding spiller would only make us more explosive.

I'm with you. Spiller would add a new dimension to the team. Strong runners with Ronnie and Ricky and an absolute speed demon with Spiller.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:22 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rusjen wrote:
rhoads30 wrote:

I'm with you. Spiller would add a new dimension to the team. Strong runners with Ronnie and Ricky and an absolute speed demon with Spiller.

it also makes sense because ronnie is injury prone as all hell, and ricky is getting older and has stated he is only going to be in the league for another year or two.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Still Like Earl Thomas at 12. As far as Spiller goes he doesnt really fit the Parcells mold. Ben Tate and Montario Hardesty do and they could be around in the third.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If for some reason the Broncos pass on Bryant, I think you most assuredly will see someone trade up to grab him.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

ggippo wrote:
Still Like Earl Thomas at 12. As far as Spiller goes he doesnt really fit the Parcells mold. Ben Tate and Montario Hardesty do and they could be around in the third.

after the recent marshall trade anything is possible. being a huge vols fan, i can say that hardesty wont be a starting rb in the nfl.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

trade with the pats, get a second and their first, get Brandon Graham in the first and get Cody in the second, DONEDY

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I'm extremely confident they have plans on moving down to get additional picks. Question is who and how far down? Dallas has been rumored, but I think they wanted Dez and he'll likely be gone to Denver the pick before us. But if there's another player some team REALLY wants who won't be there come their pick, we likely will take it. If we move far down the first, it will cost them at least a second (maybe more). If it's a few spots, then likely a 3rd. What worries me is that the Pats have a bunch of 2's, so they would be high on the likely list, but I'm hoping for someone else, as I don't want to aide the Pats in any way. Depending on where we move, we could go three directions (FS, LB or NT). Gives us a lot of flexibility in our movement because I think there will be a game-changer still there in at least one of those three areas all the way near the end of the first round.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:42 am
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Not a doubt in my mind that Miami will do everything they can to move back in the draft. If they don't & Dan Williams is on the board at 12 he will be joining Miami.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
If we stay at 12 I'm obviously onboard the CJ Spiller wagon.

I think we'll trade down and get back that 2nd rounder though. Could even trade down multiple times and get the 2nd back for next year too.

I'm with you. If they stay at 12, get Spiller. But they will most likely trade back. I think getting that 2nd pick back is imperative so they can get Jerry Hughes.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:25 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

From the incredible off chance that Bryant is still there now at #12 someone would definitely want him, but I just can't see Broncos not grabbing him

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:32 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

NT or FS! I hope we give Brown at least one more year! I think it will be a step back we dont need right now give him a chance to stay healthy! but im preparing myself that he will go!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:36 pm

What if Dez is there at 12....And a deal to trade down is not so good?

Imagine...... Dez and Marshall on the same field.....Just saying

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:42 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You know how BP feels about his draft picks. We will get that 2nd rd pick back. That means our #12 is gone. That or we resign JT and move him and Teddy for a 2nd or something (please no comments on value). I'm thinking more along the line of trading down. After this season someone else will be delt for a 2nd in 2011 for sure.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:52 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

It would almost be too good to be true if it were to happen. But if Dez (by some miracle) is still there at #12, Jerry Jones will pull out all the stops to get our pick from the guy he just made fun of. And the Tuna will make him pay just a little extra for that.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

In a perfect world Berry would fall to us at twelve. You may say this will never happen, but then again yesterday I would have told you that there was no way this FO would trade for Marshall. They have had Thomas in for a few visits so he could be the pick. I think it all depends on whether Nolan thinks Thomas can handle the responsibility of FS in his defense. I don't see them drafting a NT at 12 as there are some interesting prospects in the 3rd and 4th rounds and this FO has proven they can find talented NT's in the later rounds.

I could really see us trading down in the draft to get back the pick we traded for Marshall. If we trade down there are plenty of rush OLB's that will be available later in round 1 as wel as FS options that are available in the 2nd and 3rd. We also have to remember that Smiley is probably going to be traded which could help gain a 3rd or 4th rounder or move up from the 3rd to the 2nd round. Add a possible midround pick for Thigpen and we will be sitting pretty come the draft.

One thing for sure is that I wouldn't take my eyes of the draft for the first 3 to 4 rounds as this FO has plenty of ideas and scenarios to impove this team by trading picks/players for the exact players they have targeted.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

For me its hard to say :war: But what a good spot to be in if we cant get a good deal to trade back for then we stay at 12 and still get a top player if we do trade back then we get a guy who was on are draft board anyway and still get anoter pick.......what a good place to be in......Now anybody think we should have gone after Holmes? Both of these guys are the same age but IMO and the stats show it we got the better guy :jests: Even more so now just think had they not blown there load and jumped on Holmes they could have still been in the hunt for Marshell..... :) Way to wait it out BIG TUNA

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If the fins are not able to trade down and are stuck picking at #12 then my guess is that they go for an OLB that can really rush the qb.........so Morgan, Pierre-Paul, Graham or Kindle top the list.

If they are able to trade down then it could go OLB, NT, or FS as those are the top 3 areas of need for the team. If they trade down and their 1st pick is in the 1st round then I think they may lean towards OLB if there is anyone left that fits their mold. If they trade down and their 1st pick is in the 2nd round then they could go in any of the 3 directions mentioned.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:31 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

The fact that we do not have a 2nd round pick, and now we do have the number 1 WR, I would say that there is no doubt what so ever that if we stay at 12 it will be an OLB. I'd be SHOCKED if it wasn't.

That said, I do see us trying very hard to trade down. We'll see how it all plays out. It's going to get very interesting when Miami gets on the clock, as Hen said.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
there is no doubt what so ever that if we stay at 12 it will be an OLB. I'd be SHOCKED if it wasn't.

It all depends on what they feel a player's value is. I, personally, think you can get a guy later at the OLB position that's just as good or better as one at the 12 spot. None of them really scream "pick me pick me" except maybe Kindle, but even then he's got an alcohol problem.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:42 pm
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

If I were betting I'd say the Dolphins draft OLB. If I were GM, I'd grab Bryant or Spiller (in that order) if available. Playmakers don't grow on trees. We have a solid front line, great QB in the making, barely average TE, aging RBs and 1 playmaker at Wr. The NFL rule changes are always geared to increase scoring.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
there is no doubt what so ever that if we stay at 12 it will be an OLB. I'd be SHOCKED if it wasn't.

It all depends on what they feel a player's value is. I, personally, think you can get a guy later at the OLB position that's just as good or better as one at the 12 spot. None of them really scream "pick me pick me" except maybe Kindle, but even then he's got an alcohol problem.

I think you could say the same thing, even more so, about the NT and FS positions.

Miami's biggest need is pass rusher, and the talent drops significantly after Hughes, Kindle, and Graham.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:51 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

I think you could say the same thing, even more so, about the NT and FS positions.

Miami's biggest need is pass rusher, and the talent drops significantly after Hughes, Kindle, and Graham.

Think I might be with you on this. Griffen, Graham, Kindle, or Hughes at 12 and Reshad Jones or Major Wright in the third would be nice.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Yeah. Graham at 12, Jones in the third round (although I do have concern that he could be a liability in coverage the way Gibril was), would be great. You could still get a guy like Owens or Joseph in the 4th.

The best possible scenario would be to trade down into the 20's and grab a 2nd rounder. There you can still grab Hughes in rd. 1 (although I don't know if he is the type of player we are looking for), Morgan Burnett in round 2, Dennis Pitta in round 3, and than a NT early day 3.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:11 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

::::chanting::::: spiller, spiller, spiller, spiller.....

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

TennFinFan13 wrote:

I'd be happy with the defensive BPA. Dez Bryant opposite of Marshall would be pretty dynamic though.

Exactly! We pick him and we can use him as trade bait with the Chargers or hold on to him and trade Ronnie. The Chargers will be begging us to give him up. Trading down is the best thing we can do because it allows us to manuver any way we want and also try to get that 2nd rounder back.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
TennFinFan13 wrote:

Exactly! We pick him and we can use him as trade bait with the Chargers or hold on to him and trade Ronnie. The Chargers will be begging us to give him up. Trading down is the best thing we can do because it allows us to manuver any way we want and also try to get that 2nd rounder back.

Picking a player just to trade later only works if you know for sure that a team wants that player (i.e. Saints with Ricky Williams or Giants with Eli Manning). Otherwise, it's just plain dumb.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Also, I don't think we can rule out McClain at 12, and dealing Crowder for a 3rd or something.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:38 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

In this order of availability

1. Earl Thomas
2. CJ Spiller
3. McClain
4. trade down

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Also, I don't think we can rule out McClain at 12, and dealing Crowder for a 3rd or something.

I don't think he gets to 12, but if he does, I would not be shocked at that scenario playing out either.

Crowder is very tight with Parcells and Sparano though. Plus, he is worth more to us than he is to anybody else right now, especially coming off the linfranc injury.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I still think the glaring need is FS and NT. Offense is now set, for a couple of years it seems. CJ Spiller would take the place of who? Whoever our 1st round pick is, they have to start. CJ would not start. FS and NT seem to be where that is going to happen. We need to draft or deal a starter for both positions thanks to Fergy sitting for 8 games. As for OLB, well, we can "manage" with what we got (manage being a very loose term). If we resign JT, that would help us out for another year. Not stellar, but would fill the void along side Wake. Without JT, well... rush the inside...

All of that being said, FS is where I see the #12 going if we use it. Trading down would still put us in the FS market late in the 1st, and NT in the 2nd(if) or 3rd. I think this is where they are headed. Like I said before, Tuna will MAKE Ireland get that 2nd rounder back. He always does. Defense is the name of this draft now. Forget about the O for a while, barring any late round Christmas gift like a guard.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next