View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Ten Thoughts on the Brandon Marshall Trade 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ten Thoughts on the Brandon Marshall Trade
Quote:
3. Here's a stat-based story showing why the Dolphins needed Marshall from ESPN.com's Tim Graham. The important graphs:

"Marshall was one of the most dangerous receivers on throws that traveled at least 15 yards. The Denver Broncos targeted him 34 times, connecting 11 times for 354 yards and three touchdowns. The Dolphins scored only two touchdowns when the pass traveled at least 15 yards.

"Marshall was a monster in the middle of the field, an area few receivers dare to tread. He made 27 catches between the hash marks. Dolphin receivers Ted Ginn (10), Davone Bess (five), Greg Camarillo (four) and Brian Hartline (three) combined for 22 catches between the hashes."

4. Here's a stat-based story from KC Joyner of ESPN.com that suggests Marshall isn't the big-play answer for the Dolphins:

"Marshall does possess some elite skills, something that is evidenced by the fact that no receiver has been targeted more often than he has the past two seasons, but vertical receiving hasn't been one of them.

"For proof, one needs to look no further than his downfield pass-catching metrics in 2008 and '09. Marshall's 8.5 combined vertical YPA total in that time frame ranks him 52nd out of the 57 receivers who saw 48 or more targets in each of the past two seasons (48 targets being the minimum bar for inclusion as a qualifier on the metric charts). It wasn't a matter of one poor season offsetting a good season, either, as Marshall's highest single-season ranking was 55th."

5. It's always interesting to read the opposing city's take in moves like this. Here's the column of The Denver Post's Woody Paige. He writes: "The Miami Dolphins win. They got the prime-target, prime-time Pro Bowl wide receiver they sought, although they will pay the price, in more ways than one, and could lose in the end."

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:02 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Ten Thoughts on the Brandon Marshall Trade
My only 10 thoughts are all good with 10 oooooooooos lol

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah, it's not the deep ball that makes him dangerous....it's the over the middle stuff (slants, digs, drags) and screens.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:11 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The tenth thought is feels the best. The fact that we snagged the best offensive and best defensive player in this FA market is quite heartening.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TheBigFish wrote:
The tenth thought is feels the best. The fact that we snagged the best offensive and best defensive player in this FA market is quite heartening.

I would argue that Julius Peppers was the best defensive FA. Best linebacker in free agency though.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
TheBigFish wrote:

I would argue that Julius Peppers was the best defensive FA. Best linebacker in free agency though.

True, I can agree with that. I guess its good that Dansby is younger than Peppers though.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:33 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ginn is the downfield threat, see Jets and Texans games for visual evidence. Marshall will be CHAIN MOVER and RED ZONE THREAT.

That's what we were missing the last several years.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:38 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:
Yeah, it's not the deep ball that makes him dangerous....it's the over the middle stuff (slants, digs, drags) and screens.

Exactly, along with the fact that is is lethal with the ball after the catch and gives you big YAC yards.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:55 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Exactly, along with the fact that is is lethal with the ball after the catch and gives you big YAC yards.

If Marshall is in a one on one situation downfield though, he usually makes the play. He has tremendous ball skills.

But for the most part you are right. It's those hitches and deep ins that make him special, and what he can do after he makes the catch.

I'm very excited to see how our running game takes advantage of his presence on the outside. In the words of Ricky Williams yesterday:
Quote:
OK, one more message before class starts in 5 mins: I'm impressed w/Brandon Marshall. My 1st impression was 'damn he's tall'!

and...
Quote:
What a great way 2 start my day! We got Brandon! It's gonna b hard to stack the line of scrimmage. Ronnie & I r the happiest people on Earth

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
4. Here's a stat-based story from KC Joyner of ESPN.com that suggests Marshall isn't the big-play answer for the Dolphins:

"Marshall does possess some elite skills, something that is evidenced by the fact that no receiver has been targeted more often than he has the past two seasons, but vertical receiving hasn't been one of them.

"For proof, one needs to look no further than his downfield pass-catching metrics in 2008 and '09. Marshall's 8.5 combined vertical YPA total in that time frame ranks him 52nd out of the 57 receivers who saw 48 or more targets in each of the past two seasons (48 targets being the minimum bar for inclusion as a qualifier on the metric charts). It wasn't a matter of one poor season offsetting a good season, either, as Marshall's highest single-season ranking was 55th."

That's why I think we keep Ginn if we can't get value for him.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:48 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Watching him live making all those moves on defenders and somehow finding a way to score no matter what... thats what I look forward to the most.

I was pumped watching him do that on the Broncos... now on the Phins... OMG YES!!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Quote:

That's why I think we keep Ginn if we can't get value for him.

I think they'll draft someone to replace Ginn. Can't be any worse.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:05 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ
Phinfever Blog Writer/NFL Pick 'Em Champ

Ginn sucks!!! He's nothing! Heck, everyone knows that Calvin Johnson was taken in that draft! We could have had ANYBODY ELSE and they'd have done a LOT better! He SUCKS!!!

Ted Ginn
5486 APyd, 128 receptions (13.0 avg), 10 TDs, 2 x 100 yd games, 1 x 10+ reception game

Dwayne Bowe
2606 APyd, 203 receptions (12.8 avg), 16 Tds, 5 x 100 yd games, 1 x 10+ reception game

Robert Meachem
1113 APyd, 57 receptions (17.7 avg), 13 TDs, 1 x 100 yd game

Sidney Rice
1849 APyd, 129 receptions (14.3 avg), 16 TDs, 4 x 100 yd games

Steve Smith (NYG)
1857 APyd, 172 receptions (10.8 avg), 8 TDs, 3 x 100 yd games, 3 x 10+ reception games

Jacoby Jones
2777 APyd, 45 receptions (14.8 avg), 6 TDs

Anthony Gonzalez
1240 APyd, 94 receptions (13.2 avg), 7 TDs, 3 x 100 yd games

Uh...ALL of these guys were drafted in '07 like Ginn. Bowe, Meachem and Gonzalez were drafted in the first round like he was.

Keep in mind, he accumulated this stuff as the focal point of our passing attack. HE has been the guy the other team doubles. Now they don't have that luxury, because Marshall will eat single coverage like a pizza.

I would like to see Ginn stick around. I think he just might blossom without the 'he's got to be the #1 guy' pressure.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I can't wait to see a 3 or 4 wr set......and see how Defenses struggle to keep up with or WR's........with the OL and RB's on the team the fins can play smash mouth......now with a legit #1 they also have the ability to air it out a lot more! Will be a fun season to watch.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

pawfectgent wrote:
Ginn sucks!!! He's nothing! Heck, everyone knows that Calvin Johnson was taken in that draft! We could have had ANYBODY ELSE and they'd have done a LOT better! He SUCKS!!!

Ted Ginn
5486 APyd, 128 receptions (13.0 avg), 10 TDs, 2 x 100 yd games, 1 x 10+ reception game

Dwayne Bowe
2606 APyd, 203 receptions (12.8 avg), 16 Tds, 5 x 100 yd games, 1 x 10+ reception game

Robert Meachem
1113 APyd, 57 receptions (17.7 avg), 13 TDs, 1 x 100 yd game

Sidney Rice
1849 APyd, 129 receptions (14.3 avg), 16 TDs, 4 x 100 yd games

Steve Smith (NYG)
1857 APyd, 172 receptions (10.8 avg), 8 TDs, 3 x 100 yd games, 3 x 10+ reception games

Jacoby Jones
2777 APyd, 45 receptions (14.8 avg), 6 TDs

Anthony Gonzalez
1240 APyd, 94 receptions (13.2 avg), 7 TDs, 3 x 100 yd games

Uh...ALL of these guys were drafted in '07 like Ginn. Bowe, Meachem and Gonzalez were drafted in the first round like he was.

Keep in mind, he accumulated this stuff as the focal point of our passing attack. HE has been the guy the other team doubles. Now they don't have that luxury, because Marshall will eat single coverage like a pizza.

I would like to see Ginn stick around. I think he just might blossom without the 'he's got to be the #1 guy' pressure.

Those numbers are nothing to write home about, but I'm actually surprised because they look respectable to the other guy's numbers. You hear nothing but negativity about Ginn, and he deserves a lot of it, but he isn't quite as horrid as many people on this board think he is. I think he has played the goat more often than deserved, even if he has deserved it many times. Without the pressure of being 'Mr. It', Ginn may actually flourish. I don't think we are going to get better than a 6th for him, and frankly for that, I wouldn't want to lose his return skills and the potential for the deep ball. I think he ends up staying here unless the front office is desperate to get rid of him at any cost.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ted Ginn
10 Fumbles.

Dwayne Bowe
1 Fumble.

Robert Meachem
2 Fumbles.

Sidney Rice
1 Fumble.

Steve Smith (NYG)
1 Fumble.

Jacoby Jones
8 Fumbles. (Benched, anyone know why?)

Anthony Gonzalez
0 Fumbles.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:08 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Ted Ginn
10 Fumbles.

Dwayne Bowe
1 Fumble.

Robert Meachem
2 Fumbles.

Sidney Rice
1 Fumble.

Steve Smith (NYG)
1 Fumble.

Jacoby Jones

Anthony Gonzalez
0 Fumbles.

So 1 negative over-rides all the positives? He has more than double the All Purpose yards of any other player on that list. His receiving numbers are almost up to snuff with any of them too. The kid faces a lot of negativity because he didn't live up to the expectations of the #9 overall pick... that doesn't mean he's a bad football player.

I'm 100% for keeping him.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

IamPZ wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Ted Ginn
10 Fumbles.

Dwayne Bowe
1 Fumble.

Robert Meachem
2 Fumbles.

Sidney Rice
1 Fumble.

Steve Smith (NYG)
1 Fumble.

Jacoby Jones

Anthony Gonzalez
0 Fumbles.

So 1 negative over-rides all the positives? He has more than double the All Purpose yards of any other player on that list. His receiving numbers are almost up to snuff with any of them too. The kid faces a lot of negativity because he didn't live up to the expectations of the #9 overall pick... that doesn't mean he's a bad football player.

You won't get the value for him so you keep Ginn and he flourishes like Bess and Hartline with all the attention BM gets Henne will find the open player - Ginn won't have the pressure and will finally just concentrate

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:25 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

kurtzmeister wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Ted Ginn
10 Fumbles.

Dwayne Bowe
1 Fumble.

Robert Meachem
2 Fumbles.

Sidney Rice
1 Fumble.

Steve Smith (NYG)
1 Fumble.

Jacoby Jones

Anthony Gonzalez
0 Fumbles.

You won't get the value for him so you keep Ginn and he flourishes like Bess and Hartline with all the attention BM gets Henne will find the open player - Ginn won't have the pressure and will finally just concentrate

Its just hard to get past the fact that he was the 9th pick over all,and by now we should alot more out of him. I cant recall if he was the main guy at Ohio State? I know he played a little with Holmes,and manly with Gonzales and Robiski

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]