View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 After Further Review 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post After Further Review
It is hard to pick on RT. The reason is simple..when he makes the correct pre-snap read the ball is there, on time and on target. You can't really blame him for wanting to get it out of there....anytime he hangs onto it the OL gets him sacked. If Miami can hold their blocks for half a second longer, there are plays opening up on the deep half of the field. In order for them to cross the threshold from a good team to an elite team, they're going to have to exploit the deep half of hte field.

Shelby - He's decent on his pass rush but got absolutely manhandled against the run. When he and Martin were lined up on the left side, Atlanta ran the ball 6 or 7 straight times right at them moving the length of the field and into FG range.

Martin and Odrick - Odrick made amends late but early on he was dipping his shoulder taking an inside move. Martin did the same thing. Atlanta simply rant the ball off-tackle and got their blockers to the 2nd level. I tried desperately to find holding not being called but in most cases, it was just great football by Atlanta. They were getting a hat on every tackler. Once Odrick and Martin started playing straight up, the long runs stopped.

Starks - They should sign this guy to an incentive laiden contract. FWIW, he looks like he's going throught he motions right now.

Jordon - He's going to be a solid player. How good is up to him.

Clemons - played a lousy game. Probably one he would like back. He missed two open field tackles, completely whiffing on one and simply not wrapping on the other. No big plays.

Carroll - Atlanta found him early and often. He looked lost. Granted he was going against Julio Jones but you have to compete and he simply didn't. His PI on Roddy White was a pathetic play. Had he played the ball instead of outright mugging White, he would've gotten his 2nd Pick of the year. He missed a boat load of tackles and was simply jogging when an Atlanta back slipped a tackle and went 40yds. Had Carroll hustled to help, the play would've gained about 3 yards. Instead, he lazily was jogging to the sideline. It would be hard to say he had his worst day as a pro because that is quite an achievement given his poor play in the past.

Wheeler - Twice he was caught out of position. Again, my take on Wheeler has always been he has good speed and it makes up for his lack of instincts. Today, notsomuch. He was caught badly out of position that gave Atlanta some nice field position.

Atlanta stayed away from Grimes....says everything.

Hartline - Gibson - These guys are like a boxers Jab and combo punch. RT likes using these guys to blugeon a defense. Both are very capable guys.

Rishard Matthews - Nice coming out party. 4 catches and 1 play where he was short of the first down on a drive and made the guy miss to pick it up.

Sturgis - Time for a serious nickname because he's money

Don Jones - unsung hero, made this team because of his special teams ability and continues to make plays.

Jimmy Wilson - got beat pretty good in the first half. Tightened up a little in the 2nd and ended the game with the interception. Didn't quite salvage his grade.

RBs - either one, put a name in the blank. Missed holes, missed blocks, got QB killed, dropped passes, ..... Miami has two guys who do an average job of running and a fair to lousy job of everything else. Miller on his one long run makes a second juke while running...if he just turns on the afterburners he might have gone for 6. Thomas played better overall.

OL - Martin and Clady are the achilles of this team. They continue to allow edge rushers to beat them around the corner. I will say the one holding call on Jerry was completely made up. I watched the play about 5 times...no holding occurred and it nullified a 10yard run by Thomas.

TE's - Mixed bag...again. Dion Sims pushes the grade to an B- with what might have been the catch of the year. Clay - caught some big passes and dropped some easy ones including one that was intercepted. Dion Sims whiffed on a block and caused the RT fumble that lead to 7. On a lighter note, Egnew got some action and looked good blocking and catching.

Overall- How did they win? Well a good QB is like wall spackling, he'll cover a lot of cracks. RT was masterful for 4 minutes of the game. The last 2 of the half and the last 2 of the game. Simply awesome. It is very hard to critique him for what he didn't do beause of this. Miami is in good hands. It'll be nice if the OL keeps him from the IR list in the coming weeks.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:16 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: After Further Review
Amazing what winning does.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:32 am

My favorite part of the game, from Tannehill's perspective, is something I was calling for last week...He used more than just 3 guys in the passing game.

He spread it around this week, and we had all 3 TE's come up with critical catches, and all 4 WR's contribute. Daniel Thomas also had a big catch out of the backfield, and he tried to get the ball to Lamar Miller on that dropped pass.

He literally used everybody he has on offense. Great sign.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Junkie - do you watch the all22 or do you notice all of it from the regular tape?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Mindtornado wrote:
Junkie - do you watch the all22 or do you notice all of it from the regular tape?

I use NFL rewind...I'll pause certain plays and run them a few time. Sometimes the angle isn't the best but I'm not forking over for the premium package.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
It is hard to pick on RT.

Not really, you do a darn fine job of it after every game so far.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:22 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Mindtornado wrote:

I use NFL rewind...I'll pause certain plays and run them a few time. Sometimes the angle isn't the best but I'm not forking over for the premium package.

Junkie, I don't think there's a difference...

If you have NFL Game Rewind, you have access to the coaches tape for every play.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm

jammer wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
It is hard to pick on RT.

Not really, you do a darn fine job of it after every game so far.

I know. It is hyper critical. He reminds me a lot of a young Tom Brady. His short throws are almost unstoppable because they're deadly accurate. Tom Brady grew up and started getting off a few deep balls....I guess I want him to rush the progress. I know you can't tell...but I'm estatic about RT. He's got the "it" factor.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Gary, what is your bosses name and phone number? I clearly see that you have way too much time on your hands these days and I am convinced they don't give you enough to do!!

:ann0y:

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:15 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
I know. It is hyper critical. He reminds me a lot of a young Tom Brady. His short throws are almost unstoppable because they're deadly accurate. Tom Brady grew up and started getting off a few deep balls....I guess I want him to rush the progress. I know you can't tell...but I'm estatic about RT. He's got the "it" factor.

I want the highlight throws too but I'm reminded of Grimes' interception of Luck, which was basically a forced deep throw. That will lose games for Miami right now.

I do not get the feeling that Tannehill is afraid to pull trigger or isn't seeing the opportunity to go deep. Sounds like he tried a lot during camp and saw the interceptions start to pile up. Instead he's taking what the defense gives and moving the ball. The difference between him and Pennington is that defenses didn't have to respect Chad's deep pass. Tannehill is hitting on his medium throws and has landed a few good deep passes as well. Combine that respect of deep throw ability with Wallace's speed and we're seeing the success of Hartline, Gibson and Clay to working the middle or in shorter routes.

This is what we had hoped for over the summer. Heck, if Miami ran every drive like a 2 minute drill they'd probably be scoring 30+ points per game with the way Tannehill is slinging it.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Actually Chad Pennington hit a ton of middle deep throws...20-25yd stuff. What eventually happened was teams started to shorten the field. Safeties moved up, totally disrespecting the deep throw. Yes RT can throw deep...but you have to prove you can throw and connect deep in this league to keep people honest. You also have to build confidence that you can hit those plays when you need to.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:53 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
Actually Chad Pennington hit a ton of middle deep throws...20-25yd stuff. What eventually happened was teams started to shorten the field. Safeties moved up, totally disrespecting the deep throw. Yes RT can throw deep...but you have to prove you can throw and connect deep in this league to keep people honest. You also have to build confidence that you can hit those plays when you need to.

Right now teams are playing off. No one is pressing the Dolphins wide receivers. So why do we need to prove we can throw deep unless they start daring us to?

I think the Saints will play more press. It will be interesting to see if the receivers can get off the line against the press and we can hurt the Saints over the top.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Actually Chad Pennington hit a ton of middle deep throws...20-25yd stuff.

True. I think some of that had to do with defenses respecting the ground game (Rickey/Ronnie) and Pennington being good at play action. But when called upon Pennington couldn't make up for a nonexistent ground game. I won't argue Tannehill has proven that he can consistently (sample size is too small), but I think he is much more capable of it.

If the running game gels I think Tannehill could be lethal using play action.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:42 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Don "The Rock" Jones gave Harry Douglas a nice Rock Bottom that caused him to fumble the ball.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]