View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Marshall says Dolphins 'did their due diligence' before trad 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Marshall says Dolphins 'did their due diligence' before trad
Quote:
By Aron Angel | NFL.com

HQ video delivered by Akamai

If the Miami Dolphins' trade for Brandon Marshall wasn't enough indication that they had faith in him, then the four-year, $47.5 million contract extension they gave him afterward certainly was.

But that decision didn't come without numerous interviews with the two-time Pro Bowl wide receiver and an extensive look into his background.

Speaking at his introductory news conference Thursday in Miami, Marshall said the trade in which the Dolphins surrendered two second-round picks to the Denver Broncos to obtain the wide receiver came after multiple phone conversations in which he convinced the team's brass that he would be more of an asset than a headache.

NFL ShopMore Miami Dolphins Gear >

The Dolphins did their due diligence," Marshall said. "I think that's why I'm here. They got to really see what type of guy I am, and it worked out for the best."

Marshall said that type of guy is someone who plays with a great deal of passion and emotion.

"This game means a lot to me -- much more than just money," he said. "I play this game, not just to be another guy on the field, another guy in the NFL. I play this game to be one of the best, one of the greats. With that comes a lot of responsibility. Early on, I made my mistakes (and) worked through those things. I continue to look at myself in the mirror and continue to better myself."

Marshall said his past transgressions -- two domestic incidents with his then-girlfriend and numerous disputes with the Broncos' training staff and coach Josh McDaniels -- are all behind him. Marshall is looking forward to a clean slate in Miami, located just hours from Central Florida in Orlando, where he attended college.

"My past is exactly what it is -- the past," Marshall said. "I've made my mistakes, but me being 26 now, I may be young to some, but now I'm considered a veteran in this league. I think that with my experiences in the past, I can bring that into this locker room."

That should be music to the ears of Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells, who's known for taking on "diva" receivers.

"This may shock you guys, but I'm no prima donna," Marshall said with a laugh. "I like to get dirty. I'm going to get in there and mix it up a little bit. I just don't want to catch a lot of balls. I'll do whatever, hit the D-end, cracking back on linebackers. I think Mr. Parcells is the type of guy, if you bust your butt and do your job, you'll get a long just fine with him."

HQ video delivered by Akamai
Likewise for Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, whom Marshall characterized as "my type of coach."

"I watch Coach on the sideline, get all red sometimes and just firey," Marshall said. "That's the type of coach guys like myself want to play for," he said. "At the end of the day, when it gets a little sticky (in) the fourth quarter, you'll be willing to run through a wall for those type of coaches. he expects a lot, he expects you to put team first. It's all about winning here."

"Here" is the AFC East, where Marshall's competition should be significantly stiffer on Sundays. Marshall likely will be lined up twice per season against the New York Jets' Darrelle Revis, who's widely considered the best cornerback in the AFC, if not the league.

"Where is Revis Island?" Marshall said, jokingly. "Hopefully I'll visit there soon."

The wideouts with whom Marshall will be compared on a weekly basis -- Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Lee Evans -- are no slouches either.

"They're pretty good," Marshall said with a smile. "I've always thought that I was in a league of my own. My goal is to be No. 1. Am I that now? No. But with work and dedication, I'll get there. Hopefully it will be this year."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:45 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Marshall says Dolphins 'did their due diligence' before trad
Well he is saying all the right things, time will tell if you DOES all the right things.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:58 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I hope he stands on the Jets symbol in the middle of the field and does a dance... T.O. style.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:
I hope he stands on the Jets symbol in the middle of the field and does a dance... T.O. style.

He can dance on Revis Island all day long lol

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This trade sure is sounding like it was in the works for awhile and not a knee jerk reaction to the Holmes deal like the stupid Jets fans continue to believe..

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

paydurt wrote:
This trade sure is sounding like it was in the works for awhile and not a knee jerk reaction to the Holmes deal like the stupid Jets fans continue to believe..

Yeah I think your right,just the way the hole thing went down. Thats why it pays to be patient when your looking to build your team. Bet some jet fans are pissed they would have given up a 2 2nd picks to get Marshall instead of Holmes. Who I might add wont see the field till week 5 :jests: Would be nice if we played them before early, lmao

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:

Personally, in an ideal world, he would stand on the Jets logo midfield and take a dump on it. :jests:

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
Marshall said the trade in which the Dolphins surrendered two second-round picks to the Denver Broncos to obtain the wide receiver came after multiple phone conversations in which he convinced the team's brass that he would be more of an asset than a headache.

:yay: :yay:

He wants to play for Miami as much as the Trifecta wanted his talent. He'll get a clean slate from me as long as he takes his anger issues out on the opposing team and not Sparano and his girlfriend.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Revis - 5' 11" 185

Marshall - 6' 4" 230

I like our odds in the physical match up.... Its too bad Revis is a Jet, otherwise I'd say he is a good player..

I like what he said, and hope he means it.. I am more impressed with this part:
Quote:
"This may shock you guys, but I'm no prima donna," Marshall said with a laugh. "I like to get dirty. I'm going to get in there and mix it up a little bit. I just don't want to catch a lot of balls. I'll do whatever, hit the D-end, cracking back on linebackers. I think Mr. Parcells is the type of guy, if you bust your butt and do your job, you'll get a long just fine with him."

"I watch Coach on the sideline, get all red sometimes and just firey," Marshall said. "That's the type of coach guys like myself want to play for," he said. "At the end of the day, when it gets a little sticky (in) the fourth quarter, you'll be willing to run through a wall for those type of coaches. he expects a lot, he expects you to put team first. It's all about winning here."

"Where is Revis Island?" Marshall said, jokingly. "Hopefully I'll visit there soon."

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am

eleaf wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Personally, in an ideal world, he would stand on the Jets logo midfield and take a dump on it. :jests:

LMAO!! Only in a perfect world...

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:01 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Phin wrote:
Well he is saying all the right things, time will tell if you DOES all the right things.

Agreed but like what Vonnie said about BM to Joe Rose - Vonnie on BM "he is no prima donna but a misunderstod hard worker"

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... s/joerose/

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:16 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Not going to put the jinx on Marshall but, I see him getting angry at the passing scheme. I will say by the third or 4th game of the season he will be in Dan Henning's grill asking why we don't pass him the ball more.

Sorry guys but unless we get rid of Dan Henning we won't ever know how potent this offense is.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]