View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 I've had a change of heart about RT running the ball 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post I've had a change of heart about RT running the ball
After watching Hoyer tear his ACL last night and Manuel getting put out 4-6 weeks....stay in the pocket RT and continue to duck .... seems like players are dropping like flies ...is the NFL getting even tougher?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:00 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: I've had a change of heart about RT running the ball
You can run but you have to be smart about it. A slide is a QB's best friend.

I admire Tannehill's desire to stick it out in the pocket, but in his mind if 2 seconds have passed, he has to look for an escape route, even if it is for a yard or two, and slide.

Getting hit from behind while cocking the ball leads to a lot of fumbles.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Man I felt really bad for the Browns fans. Hoyer had something going ..... and now they'll never really know for sure if he could've been the guy.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Personally, I don't think Weeden is that bad. Miami's defense can make it a rough experience on any young QB. Luck didn't fare so well either. After Weeden settled down he threw some nice passes last night. I did like Hoyer's story though.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Personally, I don't think Weeden is that bad. Miami's defense can make it a rough experience on any young QB. Luck didn't fare so well either. After Weeden settled down he threw some nice passes last night. I did like Hoyer's story though.

Well I was a big proponent of Weeden for last year's draft. He looked erratic in 2012, but that team had no identity with Holmgren and Co. dead men walking. I'm interested to see how he can operate Turner's offense over the next 3-4 games. They've got athletes over there and clearly Josh Gordon makes a difference. Only thing is that O-line is awful, yes even with Joe Thomas. They've allowed 22 sacks and 46 QB hits.

But still in Hoyer's case, having watched both games prior to his injury, you could literally see the spark in the team.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Tannehill just needs to be himself and not press. The first three games he took what was given to him and we saw the results. The only time I saw him press was game 1 when he forced a few deep throws to Wallace and he's lucky one wasn't picked.

I agree that his mental clock should have him perhaps moving out of the pocket and running but he needs to throw it away or go 2 yards and slide.

Stinks about Hoyer, its always fun to see a guy come out of nowhere. My money is on Kirk Cousins to be that guy in the future who becomes a solid starter for a team.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

With our OL I think it's safer to run forward with the ball as much as possible. He's in just as much risk sitting behind a 1500lb paper towel. Might as well get some yards out of it.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:16 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
You can run but you have to be smart about it. A slide is a QB's best friend.

I feel the same way. If you'd watched Russell Wilson last week, he did it with perfection. He's always been that way though. He knows when to slide and he does it well as he was considering a baseball career.

NFLJunkie wrote:

I feel the same way Junkie. Weeden had a rough game against us, but I saw some good things from him. That being said, Hoyer is the better quarterback between the two. I think playing for his hometown team helps give Hoyer pull it from his heart.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]