View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:29 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3488
Post Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
Quote:
By Omar Kelly, Commentary

7:34 p.m. EDT, October 6, 2013
MIAMI GARDENS—

– It wasn't about defensive line stunts, or complicated blitzes disguised to confuse.

It wasn't about putting eight defenders in the box, or presenting the Miami Dolphins offense one more man than they could block.

The Baltimore Ravens defensive front straight man-handled the Dolphins offense one-on-one, whipping them mano-a-mano during Sunday's 26-23 fourth-quarter win.

It was the kind of manhandling that should motivate General Manager Jeff Ireland to push the panic button searching for a quick fix.

Watching the Ravens choke out Miami's rushing attack - limiting the Dolphins to 22 yards on 11 carries - and push around the Dolphins should reinforce the theory that Miami's offense needs reinforcements. ...


http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 1726.story


Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:05 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
Is it just me, or did Tannehill have designed rollouts more last season? He just hangs out in the pseudo-pocket until he gets sacked. What happened to how well he was at throwing on the run?

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5718
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
rodneyfaile wrote:
Is it just me, or did Tannehill have designed rollouts more last season? He just hangs out in the pseudo-pocket until he gets sacked. What happened to how well he was at throwing on the run?


Hard to roll out when the lanes to do so are cut off by edge rushers. But you're right, if the line moved for him in a designed roll out it might buy him an extra second or two. Problem is it takes away half of the field.

It would be one thing if they couldn't pass protect but could at least run block.


Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:16 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
I did a search for it, but came up empty, but I remember a thread on this forum with stats showing Tannehill's QB rating when standing in the pocket vs his QB rating throwing on the run. RT was higher than a lot of other QBs out there when throwing on the run. With this OL, he should be doing a lot more running!
I don't think Jake Long or Lane Johnson would have made this OL any better.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm
Posts: 256
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
It's called running the ball.


Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:00 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21314
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
Manhattan wrote:
It's called running the ball.


Yeah but the offensive line is sort of important to be able to run the ball since they block for the running back.

_________________
Image


Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
The OL is bad no doubt, but Tannehill's awareness is nonexistent this season.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5839
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
Rich wrote:
Manhattan wrote:
It's called running the ball.


Yeah but the offensive line is sort of important to be able to run the ball since they block for the running back.


It doesn't help that everyone in the stadium knows they're going to run and the safeties have no fear of the deep ball.


Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5590
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
rodneyfaile wrote:
The OL is bad no doubt, but Tannehill's awareness is nonexistent this season.


I'll probably take heat for agreeing ...... but they're both equally as bad. The O-line is awful, but Tanny just stands back there with lead feet. No internal clock going off in his head ..... rarely climbs the pocket. The guy looks mind f'd at times. I don't get it. I thought one of the predominant reasons we drafted him was for his athleticism. That aspect of his game has been entirely muted.

_________________
Image


Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5839
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
4th and 12 he avoids a sack, scrambles outside and hits Gibson in stride. He's going to have to start doing more of that. I think there are mental breakdowns by different players. The last Raven's sack appears to be partially caused by Lamar Miller.


Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 6186
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
rodneyfaile wrote:
I did a search for it, but came up empty, but I remember a thread on this forum with stats showing Tannehill's QB rating when standing in the pocket vs his QB rating throwing on the run. RT was higher than a lot of other QBs out there when throwing on the run. With this OL, he should be doing a lot more running!
I don't think Jake Long or Lane Johnson would have made this OL any better.


wasnt he the top QB in the NFL outside the pocket?


Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5718
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
Rock Sexton wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
The OL is bad no doubt, but Tannehill's awareness is nonexistent this season.


I'll probably take heat for agreeing ...... but they're both equally as bad. The O-line is awful, but Tanny just stands back there with lead feet. No internal clock going off in his head ..... rarely climbs the pocket. The guy looks mind f'd at times. I don't get it. I thought one of the predominant reasons we drafted him was for his athleticism. That aspect of his game has been entirely muted.


Said it in another thread but I'm not sure he can scramble outside when the routes to do so are closed off in 2 seconds. Martin/Clabo are either beat outside or getting pushed back.

Inside the pocket he doesn't move around too well.

While keeping your eyes downfield is usually a plus, I think it might be hurting him. I'd say design quicker pass plays but the defenses will pick up on those and jump the routes.

Even if they take away half the field perhaps some designed rollouts are much needed. That is where I see Wallace thriving or perhaps a Hartline double move presenting a deep pass opportunity.


Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:27 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5839
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
If you examine the very last sack, RT should've "felt" that pressure. The pressure was coming to the inside, not the outside so he should've stepped back and rolled out buying more time. He was oblivious to it even though it came from the RT spot. It looked to me like Miller chipped Dumurvil to the inside then ran to the flat. RT was sacked before ever seeing it. Before anyone jumps on me, yes...Clady was a turnstile on that play. I'm just responding to RT needing to improvise more, rather than take a sack especially in that situation.


Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 am
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 5718
Location: Topsfield, MA
Post Re: Dolphins need to find quick fix for leaky offensive line
NFLJunkie wrote:
If you examine the very last sack, RT should've "felt" that pressure. The pressure was coming to the inside, not the outside so he should've stepped back and rolled out buying more time. He was oblivious to it even though it came from the RT spot. It looked to me like Miller chipped Dumurvil to the inside then ran to the flat. RT was sacked before ever seeing it. Before anyone jumps on me, yes...Clady was a turnstile on that play. I'm just responding to RT needing to improvise more, rather than take a sack especially in that situation.


I wouldn't bank on him suddenly finding better awareness. Probably should be more designed so that the line is moving with him, taking a bit of mental pressure off and giving him a chance to make the throw.

After watching the throws to Hartline and Gibson on the run it makes perfect sense to start implementing it.


Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:18 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.