View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 This is the type of lineman we're starving for... 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post This is the type of lineman we're starving for...
he's got that "you can't beat me" attitude that our guys lack.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1707 ... in-ncaa-14

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:07 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: This is the type of lineman we're starving for...
Funny you mention him, I was going to watch his tape today.

Don't get your hopes up though. He's 6'6 and will probably weigh in at 330+ at the combine. Not the type of lineman we're looking for, unless his athleticism really stands out.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:30 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
He's 6'6 and will probably weigh in at 330+ at the combine. Not the type of lineman we're looking for, unless his athleticism really stands out.

Yeah we are looking for guys that get pushed backwards, and let the QB get hit over and over while failing to create space for the running backs

:fart:

Sorry PR, not disagreeing with you.. Just couldnt resist a chance to take a cheap shot at our poor personnel moves on the line lol

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:49 am

Phins Rock wrote:

Don't get your hopes up though. He's 6'6 and will probably weigh in at 330+ at the combine. Not the type of lineman we're looking for, unless his athleticism really stands out.

I know he's not our type. The type that can actually block his man and win a one on one fight.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:03 pm

maybe it's time to scrap this scheme and go back to 5 maulers on the line. This isnt working.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:04 pm

swerve13 wrote:
maybe it's time to scrap this scheme and go back to 5 maulers on the line. This isnt working.

This season yes.

For the future, you just need to find guys that fit.

Too much emphasis/stock is put into "zone vs man" scheme anyway. There's not much difference, honestly. On a few running plays you're going to want guys who are a little more athletic, but it's not a huge schematic difference, where every lineman is either a zone or a man blocking player.

That said, our lineman are not zone blocking lineman. Pouncey is the only guy who is athletic enough to pull it off. Clabo stinks, Jerry stinks in any scheme, Richie and Martin are only OK.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:48 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
Too much emphasis/stock is put into "zone vs man" scheme anyway. There's not much difference, honestly.

Couldn't disagree more.

There is a huge difference which is why you need specific types of players for each scheme.

There is a huge difference between a running game that requires quickness and athleticism and pulling linemen that create gaps on cutbacks for one move and go vision type running backs and a running game that tries to overpower defensive linemen at the line of scrimmage to create room for a power back.

There is also a huge difference in pass blocking, where in a man scheme you are responsible for a specific player and in a zone scheme you are responsible for a specific area. Zone schemes in pass blocking are more complex because you need to read the play and react quickly, specifically against stunts, which is where we are having a huge problem up front. I'm also seeing too many plays where an offensive lineman is standing around with no one to block because there is no one in his zone. Meanwhile another lineman is having to block two guys.

It takes a lot longer to get an offensive line playing cohesively in a zone scheme because it not only takes athleticism, but it takes smarts. But to run a man scheme, you need those roadgraders that move people around with power.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:46 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think he can fit. Miami made a run at keeping Jake Long, so I certainly think he can fit the mode.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:17 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Phins Rock wrote:

he could be and dose put me in mind of warren sapp BUT on the other SIDE of the ball lol.....

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:17 am

I didn't like him on tape....And today I think he's going to lose his first round status among draft gurus out there.

Clowney is OWNING him today. Completely undressing the guy.

There are a lot of 1st round caliber tackles this year. More than last year. Richardson is not one of them, IMO.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]