View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:40 am



Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Accountability starts at the top. 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8711
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Accountability starts at the top.
Omar Kelly wrote:
Accountability starts at the top. Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman are former offensive line coaches. In my opinion, play calling, game planning, game management, the team’s commitment to the run (or lack of it), and Miami’s struggles max protecting are more of an issue than the execution of individual offensive linemen. That means Philbin and Sherman are more responsible than Jim Turner.

Turner doesn’t call a single play during the game. He helps put the game plan together, but Philbin and Sherman are the two individuals responsible for it. I blame Turner for the fact John Jerry hasn’t gotten any better, but then again Turner is probably the only reason Jerry is still on the team, and in the league. I blame Turner for the fact Dallas Thomas, the team’s 2013 third-round pick, isn’t ready to play yet. But let us not pretend like Thomas is the only rookie who is off to a slow start in his first NFL season.

I’m all about people being accountable for the team’s issues, but making Turner a scapegoat for the offense's struggles isn’t the right approach on this one. I think the offensive line needs to make some changes, and if they decide to stay status quo and the problem doesn't get fixed in the next 10 games, THEN Turner's seat should get warm.


http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 1297.story

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:31 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2976
Location: MA.
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
Omar is going about this story all wrong imo..But that's what he does




Quote:
Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland had too many holes to plug during the offseason. So he made choices.



Quote:
When the upgrades were over, right tackle Tyson Clabo, a free agent signee from Atlanta, and right tackle Dallas Thomas, a third-round draft pick from Tennessee, were the Dolphins' main offensive line acquisitions




Quote:
The Dolphins' biggest offensive line questions are left tackle, right tackle, and right guard.

Martin, the left tackle, is ranked No. 47 among all tackles, and Clabo, the right tackle, is ranked No. 61.

The offensive line decisions started with left tackle Jake Long, who is tied for 12th best among tackles.

The Dolphins elected not to re-sign Long, largely because he's expensive and considered a long-term injury risk. Long signed a reported four-year, $34 million contract with St. Louis.

The Dolphins opted not to trade for Kansas City left tackle Branden Albert, the 23rd-rated tackle. They chose not to sign Arizona right tackle Eric Winston, rated No. 54, or Baltimore left tackle Bryant McKinnie, rated No. 64.

During the season it's possible they could have traded for left tackle Eugene Monroe (No. 53) or left tackle Levi Brown (No. 56) — Baltimore acquired Monroe from Jacksonville and Pittsburgh acquired Brown from Arizona — but they're marginal upgrades.

Jerry is tied for 46th among all guards. Options were slim here. Perhaps the Dolphins could have drafted Detroit right guard Larry Warford (rated No. 4) or Dallas right guard Brian Winters (tied for 19th), a pair of third-round picks, in the second round. But it would have raised eyebrows at the time.

Maybe it was a bad year to need offensive linemen aside from the first-round picks

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss


Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:18 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3437
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
Kev1321 wrote:
Omar is going about this story all wrong imo..But that's what he does


What story is he getting wrong? It seems like he was answering a specific question.


Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:19 pm
Profile
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 2976
Location: MA.
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Omar is going about this story all wrong imo..But that's what he does


What story is he getting wrong? It seems like he was answering a specific question.



It's just not as simple as blaming play calling or coaching..There is a void in talent on the line that goes back before these guys arrived..I just think the spin of this story is placing that blame on the coaches here now..There were alot of holes(Long going belly up didn't help) to be filled for one offseason and really most of the other options didn't pan out either. As the story i posted tells.

The scheme change and asking some of if not all of the line to do something they are not best at doing aint helping..That and the documented problems the young rb's and qb is having doing there end of the bargain


Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 3437
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
Kev1321 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Omar is going about this story all wrong imo..But that's what he does


What story is he getting wrong? It seems like he was answering a specific question.



It's just not as simple as blaming play calling or coaching..There is a void in talent on the line that goes back before these guys arrived..I just think the spin of this story is placing that blame on the coaches here now..There were alot of holes(Long going belly up didn't help) to be filled for one offseason and really most of the other options didn't pan out either. As the story i posted tells.

The scheme change and asking some of if not all of the line to do something they are not best at doing aint helping..That and the documented problems the young rb's and qb is having doing there end of the bargain


So I am curious do you know that this was not an article or story he wrote trying to cover a particular topic but that it was an answer he gave to a particular question that he was asked in a Q and A format?


Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:07 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8711
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
AQNOR wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Omar is going about this story all wrong imo..But that's what he does


What story is he getting wrong? It seems like he was answering a specific question.


Sorry, guys. I should have posed the question as well on this one. It would have made his answer make more sense.

Quote:
Q: I think it is about time some heads roll for the offensive line play, maybe the offensive line coach. They can neither pass protect or run the ball. Something needs to change and quick. - Wayne, Virginia Beach



.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21081
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
Kev1321 wrote:
There is a void in talent on the line that goes back before these guys arrived.


Yes, there is. But for some reason these guys were high on Jonathan Martin moving to left tackle and didn't feel the urgency to bring back Jake Long until the last minute.

They also brought in Tyson Clabo, a guy who has been a top right tackle for several years, he gets here and he's terrible.

They are stubborn about implementing this zone scheme with three guys on the offensive line that do not fit a zone scheme. It's time to stop trying to force a round peg in a square hole and start using a more north/south blocking scheme and less of a scheme that requires these slower, bigger guys to pull and run across the line of scrimmage.

In a season and a half, there already is a noticeable history with these coaches being stubborn and not using talent properly, most notably with Reggie Bush.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4496
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
Zone scheme? These guys struggle in any scheme.

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:49 am
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 4271
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
Rich wrote:
Yes, there is. But for some reason these guys were high on Jonathan Martin moving to left tackle and didn't feel the urgency to bring back Jake Long until the last minute.

They also brought in Tyson Clabo, a guy who has been a top right tackle for several years, he gets here and he's terrible.

They are stubborn about implementing this zone scheme with three guys on the offensive line that do not fit a zone scheme. It's time to stop trying to force a round peg in a square hole and start using a more north/south blocking scheme and less of a scheme that requires these slower, bigger guys to pull and run across the line of scrimmage.

In a season and a half, there already is a noticeable history with these coaches being stubborn and not using talent properly, most notably with Reggie Bush.

Good coaches adjust. Philben is not adjusting to his talent. Its his system regardless of the talent.


Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:50 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21081
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
10acjed wrote:
Zone scheme? These guys struggle in any scheme.


The proof says otherwise with Tyson Clabo, who has been a top 10 rated right tackle on PFF since they started tracking player metrics. He's been the biggest weakness on this offensive line but was a very solid player for Atlanta.

Either his talent has diminished tremendously from one season to the next, and typically offensive linemen can play well into their 30s and still be effective, or he doesn't fit the scheme.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 am
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4496
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
I do not know enough about the schematics of it. If the case is simply schematic, then it falls directly on the staff for signing a FA with no experience in the system they run..

Seems to me the list is too one sided, its always someone doesnt "fit the system" ...


How is the "zone" scheme used in the typical shotgun formation we run that differs from other offensive blocking schemes?

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:49 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 21081
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Accountability starts at the top.
10acjed wrote:
I do not know enough about the schematics of it. If the case is simply schematic, then it falls directly on the staff for signing a FA with no experience in the system they run..

Seems to me the list is too one sided, its always someone doesnt "fit the system" ...


How is the "zone" scheme used in the typical shotgun formation we run that differs from other offensive blocking schemes?


Zone focuses on an area, not a player. So when you say "why wasn't Suggs doubled?" Its because he wasn't in a zone being protected by two guys.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:10 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.