Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Early QB Prospect Watch
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:21 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The QB situation in Miami has certainly reached an interesting point. Ryan Tannehill is coming off of another knee injury and will cost nearly $20 million against the cap if kept. Jay Cutler has the chance for a Rich Gannon style late career boom, but I'm not sure he is someone who has another 5+ years in him. Matt Moore is a capable backup, nothing more. Brandon Doughty and David Fales (if he ever returns) don't appear to be viable options.

Bottom line, Miami needs to draft a QB to either groom or eventually compete for the job and 2018 is loaded with prospects. Is there another Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson or even Jimmy Garoppolo waiting to be stolen on Day 2 or 3?

The obvious hyped up targets are Sam Darnold (USC), Lamar Jackson(LVille), Josh Rosen (UCLA) and Josh Allen (Wyoming). Once the scouting world and agents begin the nitpicking/propaganda campaign I'm certain they'll each lose some luster. It is very possible Darnold stays on for another season. I don't think Miami will be bad enough nor trade up to get any of them (should they be top 12 picks).

The next two big names are Mason Rudolph (OKST) and Luke Falk (WSU). I've seen Rudolph graded all over the map while Falk seems to be settling in as a mid to late 2nd Round prospect. Rudolph has the arm, but the criticism is his ability to make quick decisions. As analyst Tony Pauline said, he gets away with a lot of things on Saturdays that will not be there on Sundays. Falk on the other hand is lauded for his ability to read the field and deliver an accurate ball, but he has limited arm strength. Daniel Jeremiah described him as a poor man's Kirk Cousins aka a guy who needs a lot around him to succeed.

The name you will hear a lot more going forward is Dak Prescott's successor Nick Fitzgerald. He actually looks like Prescott in his play (arm strength+accuracy+mobility). Full disclosure, I want Miami to target him aggressively at this point.

A few under the radar names who require more attention are Mike White (WKU), Daniel Jones (Duke), Clay Thorson (NWestern) and Riley Ferguson (Memphis). Chris Kouffman, who we've regularly cited on here, is a huge fan of Thorson and I can see why. Nice arm and gutsy play. If not Fitzgerald I think I'd much prefer to see Miami go after this type of developmental guy at the start of Day 3. Jones is only a red shirt sophomore, like Darnold, so he may not enter the draft.

I always enjoy QB prospect talk so feel free to keep this conversation going. You never know which guy could emerge as the next Mitch Trubisky or Carson Wentz.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Shame on me. Forgot one of the more obvious prospects - Baker Mayfield (OU). This guy could be another Russell Wilson type. Has all of the tools and is a leader, but his height will hurt his evaluation. He is fun to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Another under the radar guy to keep an eye on is Logan Woodside from Toledo. Love the guy's backstory and he looks like he can be a gamer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Wonderful conversation with myself here! Ryan Finley, North Carolina State. A couple of analysts are calling him this year's Mitch Trubisky. He did a great job beating Louisville last week.

Of all the prospects I'd say Josh Rosen has risen to the top. He is getting Matt Ryan comparisons and throws a heck of a nice ball. Word is Sam Darnold might be returning for another year. Tony Pauline said some scouts label him a one read wonder. Lamar Jackson may have leapfrogged him as the 2nd best QB in the class. This kid will start for someone next year.

Josh Allen has looked putrid, but he is working without any supporting talent. He needs to sit for at least a year to clean up his game. But he has the tools of a top 3 pick.

Mason Rudolph has drifted into top 15 consideration with his phenomenal play. Has some concerns about going through his reads still, but he delivers a nice ball.

Luke Falk is now a solid 2nd Rounder. Best description I read about him is he is a Sam Bradford with an IT factor. One scout said he has Tom Brady like work ethic and leadership skills. Arm strength could be a problem though.

I've cooled on Nick Fitzgerald. He is more of an athlete playing QB and will take some time to adjust at the next level. Nice project, but not someone you count on if the starter goes down.

And finally, Baker Mayfield. The kid is a playmaker. Its between him and Falk for me. He has a great skill set and improvises like crazy. The best part is he does it on the big stage and not just against weaker opponents. Seems like he has that Matt Moore fiery persona but with a much better arm.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]