View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Chris Johnson - Worth It? 

Would you pay $53mil + to keep a back like Johnson?
Trade him/let the contract expire 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Pay the man! 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 12

Chris Johnson - Worth It? 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Chris Johnson - Worth It?
Here is my question to you: after signing a 4yr - $53 million contract, do you feel that Johnson, or any high ticket running back, is worth $13 million a year?

There is no right or wrong answer, so please respect other posters in expressing your viewpoints.
My dilemma is whether or not running-backs should be the highest paid players on the roster. With the position being a short career position, and with players at the position not staying in their peak for very long, is it worth it to pay a guy to stay, or would you let him go and replace him? I'm trying to think of 'many' rbs that left their teams for big contracts and actually performed to or better than the contracts they signed.
Adrian Peterson is going to be coming up for a new contract next year. It's almost certain that he will command a significant amount more than Johnson got. I know these players are game changers and they are on another level than most backs. They certainly are franchise type players, but I question whether or not the position is worth that kind of money. It seems rather easy these days to find a 1,000 yard rusher. Would you pay up, or give up?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:21 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Chris Johnson - Worth It?
They don't have a franchise QB to pay, so, why not?

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I'd have to vote no. First off, as todays blog points out, running games are the end-all of teams having a winning record. Moreover, good passing attacks win more championships than good running games. In addition to that, good RB's are found in the 2nd and 3rd round of every draft. The only players worth that kind of payola are QBs. Evenso, Philly should never have paid Vick that kind of money either (ps...where the heck are they getting that kind of cap room?). CJ2K is close to the best RB in the NFL .. but I wouldn't tie that kind of money up in a RB because they don't last that long.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pay him. Without CJ2K there is no Titans. Draft a franchise QB and trade him at his prime for 1st +

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:51 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Ski_Money wrote:
Pay him. Without CJ2K there is no Titans. Draft a franchise QB and trade him at his prime for 1st +

That would be a dream scenario for the T's at this point. If anyone coulda used Cam Newton on their team, it was them.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:02 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Please post in the NFL forum, thanks guys.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:18 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I would have to say Yes. A dynamic playmaker who can change the game in a flash is always worth top dollar.

Now I'm not high on CJ2K, but it seems the question is more directed to paying the position, than this particular player.

I'd pay Barry Sanders this money any day of the week.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:33 am

My problem is all these guys holding out with time still left on a contract that they had signed , paying them well but they refuse to honor.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
My problem is all these guys holding out with time still left on a contract that they had signed , paying them well but they refuse to honor.

Bad argument. Players can have their contracts terminated at any time by the team. Additionally, contracts are on a "what have you done for me lately" scale. Look at Miami asking Carey to take a pay cut. If a player "honors" his contract then gets hurt, the team can you loose for cheap.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So far this season, the backup Ringer looks better than Johnson; he also costs a ton less. I'd say that the money wasn't worth it, at least so far this season it hasn't. Runningbacks seem to have a few really good seasons followed by some not so hot seasons (comparably). I don't know that I'd pay qb type money to a rb. I stand by my initial comments made in this thread.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]