View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz
Are either of these guys worth trading up into the late 1st round to get? I haven't watched enough college ball to get a read on either of them.

If Philbin is going to employ multiple TEs then getting a good option to combine with Fasano (who I assume will be re-signed) and Clay is key.

Based on what I'm reading, sounds like Ertz could be a good seam threat.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:35 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz
I saw Eifert play live when Notre Dame went up to Chestnut Hill the other day. He's so smooth and natural, and he's a complete TE. Decent athleticism, but I don't see him separating against NFL coverage. I think he's over rated and I definitely wouldn't move up. He'll be solid, but nothing special. When it comes to TE, I'm greedy and won't bother investing in anybody that isn't special to be my #1.

Ertz isn't anything special, IMO. Not even close to Fleener in terms of athletic ability.

The guy I'm intrigued by is Jordan Reed out of Florida. He's Aaron Hernandez 2.0. Not quite as polished because he played QB his freshman year, but he's got serious acceleration and agility. Problem is with Clay and Egnew already here, not sure they invest in that type of hybrid.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
I saw Eifert play live when Notre Dame went up to Chestnut Hill the other day. He's so smooth and natural, and he's a complete TE. Decent athleticism, but I don't see him separating against NFL coverage. I think he's over rated and I definitely wouldn't move up. He'll be solid, but nothing special. When it comes to TE, I'm greedy and won't bother investing in anybody that isn't special to be my #1.

Ertz isn't anything special, IMO. Not even close to Fleener in terms of athletic ability.

The guy I'm intrigued by is Jordan Reed out of Florida. He's Aaron Hernandez 2.0. Not quite as polished because he played QB his freshman year, but he's got serious acceleration and agility. Problem is with Clay and Egnew already here, not sure they invest in that type of hybrid.

Yeah, I figured they would look at someone already established rather than chance it with another draft pick.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:35 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:

I disagree about Ertz, he is not as fast as Fleener but his hands are solid and he is a legit 6'6"! He has enough speed to beat LB's and catches the ball with his hands!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:

The NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah tweeted that after speaking to "several" Stanford coaches about Coby Fleener prior to the 2012 Draft, all of them considered Zach Ertz their best TE.
This is even before Ertz took on the lead pass catching role for the Cardinal. The two are different prospects, as Fleener attacked more downfield due to straight-line speed, while Ertz can maneuver and find a home in intermediate areas. The latter will be fighting with Tyler Eifert to be the top tight end selected

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/130928/zach-ertz

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:23 pm

I've changed my stance on Ertz. I was caught up in my stubborn initial impressions (which I often do), but I do like him now.

He's not quite what Fleener was straight line, but I think he's a good athlete, really good hands, tougher than Fleener was, uses his size better....disappointing as a blocker, but I'm not too concerned with that aspect.

I think Ertz goes in the 1st round, before Eifert.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
I've changed my stance on Ertz. I was caught up in my stubborn initial impressions (which I often do), but I do like him now.

He's not quite what Fleener was straight line, but I think he's a good athlete, really good hands, tougher than Fleener was, uses his size better....disappointing as a blocker, but I'm not too concerned with that aspect.

If Miami takes care of WR, OL and DE in free agency and with the 12th pick then trading up to get Ertz is a bold move I'd like to see them make, especially if he's sitting there after the 25th pick or so.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

If Miami takes care of WR, OL and DE in free agency and with the 12th pick then trading up to get Ertz is a bold move I'd like to see them make, especially if he's sitting there after the 25th pick or so.

what about trading down from #12 to #20 and grabbing Ertz?

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

MdDolfan wrote:
jammer wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

what about trading down from #12 to #20 and grabbing Ertz?

That is a risky bet, especially with the Giants maybe needing a TE at the 19th pick. The 20th pick is the Bears, and they certainly need a TE for Cutler.

If a WR really stands out or a DE slips to 12 and has elite upside I'd hate to see Miami pass on the guy.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Quality, not quantity. That has to be the theme of this year's draft. No trading down.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]