All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3

Do you agree with the anthem protests?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 13
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8741
“I ain’t got no quarrel with them Viet Cong” is one of the young Muhammad Ali’s signature lines. It helped to define him, his opposition to the war in Vietnam, his support for civil rights, and, really, the entire decade of the 1960s. It is arguably one of the most powerful sentences ever spoken by an athlete.


He's a coward who dodged the draft.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:54 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8741
The conversation we're having is a good one, it's the one they need to be having at the national level, but aren't.

I don't see the actual issue as cops shooting innocent Afro-Americans, that's a byproduct of the problem. Violence begats violence on the front line. You're sending cops into zones of violence where they don't who the badguys are. They should not be villanized by it.


100% truth.

I see the issue as vicious cycle of oppression that needs to be broken. Afro-Americans in inner-cities are caught in depressing cycle that just keeps repeating itself. Single mothers raising kids in an environment where there is no hope of a good education or a future to get them out. Black males that either have to join a gang or die (which is why they fail at being the fathers their kids need.) Something like 80% of those families are single parent. That's devestating.

There are all kinds of resources available to be successful in the school system. I think the NFL players should get out into the communities and get involved in the schools. Getting a quality education starts at the individual level. Students/kids need to take responsibilty for their own actions and be proactive. SImple gestures like throwing your trash in the trash at school can and will work wonders for the culture at the school. The problem is a lot of the poor schools have students that are so quick to catch an attitude if told to do something whether it's work or failure to have id on them. I work in the school system so I see first hand.

Then our justice system (our government) oppresses them with mandatory minimums (crack use is heavily punished vs other drugs.)

The fact of the matter here is don't do crack. Don't break the laws.

To solve the problem IMO, Afro-Americans need to go back into the community and change it at the grass roots to break the vicious circle. They need leaders those communties will respect and follow. And the goverment needs to get rid of opressive sentencing like Mandatory Minimums.

Yes it needs to start in the ground level.

Sadly though, this issue is lost, I think, because the media and the president are at war with each and the NFL players aren't speaking up on it. It's a missed opportunity because you don't often get the national spotlight.

The players kneeling isn't going to solve one problem. Between them and the president, it's causing more and more problems.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 746
Makchell wrote:
The problem is a lot of the poor schools have students that are so quick to catch an attitude if told to do something whether it's work or failure to have id on them. I work in the school system so I see first hand.


Then as a teacher I'm sure you'd agree kids with two parents are generally more successful than a child with a single mother working two jobs to feed them.

Quote:
The fact of the matter here is don't do crack. Don't break the laws.


Addiction is a mental health issue. We don't punish people for having cancer or catching colds. Is it better for the country to send people to jail for a few years for having an ounce of crack or marijuana on them or get them help? Logically it's only better if the corporations running prisons make money off of it that comes from us as the taxpayers.

There are enough murders, thiefs and other common criminals we can show how tough we are on crime.

Quote:
The players kneeling isn't going to solve one problem. Between them and the president, it's causing more and more problems.


:hithead: Apparently the White House Press Secretary has the answer:
Quote:
“If they are upset about police brutality,” she said of the players, then they should “protest the officers on the field that are protecting them instead of the American flag.”


http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/09/25/sarah_huckabee_sanders_urges_nfl_players_to_protest_police_officers.html


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:38 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 9713
Location: MA
I think the message has been received by the owners. Several teams have announced they will be 100% standing this Sunday. As I thought, in the end the color green is all that would matter.

You guys both bring up good points. It starts at home and addressing the little details. Kids hear what their parent(s) say and begin developing beliefs off those remarks. Sometimes it also comes from educators who weave their opinions into their teachings.

I don't think you can solve this issue because humans are imperfect. There are going to be good and bad in every profession.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:50 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8741
I believe addiction causes mental illness by altering your brain's chemistry. I'm not a doctor though and it's still a choice to do drugs and/or crime. Again, individual decisions that pave your road. Yes, students with 2 parents are more successful overall.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:51 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8741
And Zatrex, you have excellent points as well.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 746
Makchell wrote:
And Zatrex, you have excellent points as well.


As do you as well, Makchell. Jammer, too. I think it's been a good discussion with reasonable people.
maybe we gave some other people things to think about.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4473
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Kev1321 wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
You did see the Nazis in Charlottesville? Jews will not replace us? Just curious because these people do exist. Don't blame the left.

Left and right has nothing to do with people that think everyone needs to live by their values. Believe it or not some people don't worship your god.

That's what democracy is..The USA is a melting pot.


Oh give me a break. This is the left's biggest issue right now is the dramatic exaggeration of Nazism and 'white supremacy'. A handful of wanna be Nazis show up to a protest, one idiot kills a woman and now people feed the delusion that these people are actually an issue, and not just some underground, isolated band of convicts operating in a few pockets across the country.

These men aren't stalking your neighborhoods and watching your black wife and kids sleep at night. Have you EVER encountered an actual neo Nazi in person? I'm 23, never have and likely never will. The hysteria is a joke.

Good, so as long as it's a handful(as you put it) you're good with it?
I'm pretty sure you won't find too many WW2 vets that would agree. And it was only one dead..No big deal.


That one idiot got more attention than the radical muslim terrorists who murdered dozens of children at a pop concert. Hating on the white man is the flavor of the year. Liberalism in 2017 is a mental disorder. You are living in the #@&% twilight zone.

Kev1321 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you won't find too many WW2 vets that would agree.


Image

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 6389
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
You did see the Nazis in Charlottesville? Jews will not replace us? Just curious because these people do exist. Don't blame the left.

Left and right has nothing to do with people that think everyone needs to live by their values. Believe it or not some people don't worship your god.

That's what democracy is..The USA is a melting pot.


Oh give me a break. This is the left's biggest issue right now is the dramatic exaggeration of Nazism and 'white supremacy'. A handful of wanna be Nazis show up to a protest, one idiot kills a woman and now people feed the delusion that these people are actually an issue, and not just some underground, isolated band of convicts operating in a few pockets across the country.

These men aren't stalking your neighborhoods and watching your black wife and kids sleep at night. Have you EVER encountered an actual neo Nazi in person? I'm 23, never have and likely never will. The hysteria is a joke.

Good, so as long as it's a handful(as you put it) you're good with it?
I'm pretty sure you won't find too many WW2 vets that would agree. And it was only one dead..No big deal.


That one idiot got more attention than the radical muslim terrorists who murdered dozens of children at a pop concert. Hating on the white man is the flavor of the year. Liberalism in 2017 is a mental disorder. You are living in the #@&% twilight zone.

Kev1321 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you won't find too many WW2 vets that would agree.


Image

One idiot?

I think all the stores in a 20 mile radius sold out on tiki touches.

You seem to be lagging on a couple facts.

#@&% Nazi's should be shot right along with every islamic terrorist..Not sure where all this Nazi sympathy comes from. Pretty sad.

It's not a German.Its a Nazi.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r