View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hoyer: Dems more successful at fighting terrorists than GOP 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Hoyer: Dems more successful at fighting terrorists than GOP
Quote:
Hoyer: Dems more successful at fighting terrorists than GOP
By Jared Allen - 05/04/10 02:37 PM ET

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) on Tuesday said the Obama administration has been more successful in combating terrorism than its predecessor.

“We're tough on terrorists. That’s our policy. That’s our performance. And, in fact, we've been more successful,” Hoyer said at his weekly press availability.

Former President George W. Bush’s presidency was dominated by the issue of terrorism, and Bush’s vice president, Dick Cheney, has taken several shots at Democrats and President Barack Obama for endangering national security.

Hoyer’s remarks Tuesday appeared designed to counterattack Republicans looking to the attempted bombing Saturday in Times Square as evidence that Democrats are not doing enough to stop terrorists.

He took a direct shot at the Bush administration over Afghanistan, which he said had been ignored by the previous administration. He added that Democrats have been more successful in targeting terrorists where they come from.

“We've been more successful in Pakistan,” Hoyer said. "We're focused on where terrorism began — not began but was launched against us — in Afghanistan, which the Bush administration essentially ignored and, as a result, after seven years had a festering, worsening situation inherited by this administration.”

Hoyer also fought back against Republicans who’ve been critical of offering Miranda rights to terrorism suspects who are also U.S. citizens. He noted the Bush administration likewise issued Miranda rights to American citizens who were arrested.

The suspect arrested in the Times Square incident, Faisal Shahzad, was read his rights by U.S. authorities early Tuesday.

“I think it doesn't have a great deal of credibility, carping about that. Because, of course, that's the way Bush handled [it],” Hoyer said. “[Saying], 'It wasn't wrong when Bush did it but now it's wrong'? I don't think that sells.”

Hoyer said foiling terrorist attacks involves a degree of luck.

“I think every administration — the Bush administration, the Clinton administration — [has] tried to do what they could to preclude incidents from happening,” Hoyer said. “It is extraordinarily difficult.

“You've got to do everything you possibly can, and pray that you get also lucky,” he added. “Not because luck is what you want to rely on, but because, clearly, it is such a difficult challenge.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/95931 ... s-than-gop

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue May 04, 2010 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Hoyer: Dems more successful at fighting terrorists than GOP
It amazes me that on the one topic that you would think would bring the 2 parties together , they cannot even come to some kind of a truce on. Like I said I think there is no more dishonarable profession than a politician but I would hate to think that anyone of them would want any terrorist act to be successful against the citizens of this country.
Does it matter who is more succesful? Isnt the goal to end terrorism once & for all the result we all want no matter what your political party affiliation is?

I think all these discussions come down to party ... are you a Obama guy or a Bush guy .... liberal or conservative. There is very little acceptance , very little give & take , a no giving credit to a good idea when that idea comes from another party.

Once again the ignorance of politicians have found their way down to the media like MSNBC & FOX who offer only how evil the other party is while offering nothing on anything good that they do because quite frankly they rarely do any good. Unfortunatley once again it has tricked down to the citizens.

Look , the car bomb in NY was thwarted ... these extremists are nuts & will keep trying until successful. But for this attempt praise the citizens , the local police & the federal govt ... they did good!! Dont go bashing which party is soft on this stuff. Like I said if we cant have a truce on the topic of terrorism we are no better than the terrorists.

Wed May 05, 2010 5:27 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I've never had a terrorist attack on my property, therefore, I am the better party at fighting terrorists.

Wed May 05, 2010 8:14 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
I've never had a terrorist attack on my property, therefore, I am the better party at fighting terrorists.

Noone wants to blow anything up over corn, Iowa;)

:)

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed May 05, 2010 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Noone wants to blow anything up over corn, Iowa;)

:)

Corn is important!

Wed May 05, 2010 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]