All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next

Do you agree with the anthem protests?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 13
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
This is a direct response to what Trump said just the other day about respecting the flag. He advocated for the 'firing' of the employees (players) via the team ownership who sit or ignore the National Anthem.

I haven't looked to much into it, but the scroll on ESPN said the entire steelers roster will remain in the locker room during the anthem today against Chicago. I still believe this 'protest' is in bad taste...considering the men and woman of our military are personally out there on the field for this.

These people don't seem to understand the truly unique privilege and freedoms they have just because they are citizens of the USA. I swear some people just feel the need to complain and cry. No acknowledgement or even credit whatsoever of how far American society, racial issues and relations have progressed since the 1950s and 60s.

When you have guys like Jim Brown, who played in his prime during that era of REAL racial oppression, coming out and calling this out for what it is says a lot to me. There isn't a better athlete voice out there than guys like Brown who experienced all this first hand.

Now, guys like Brown, who experienced legitimate racial oppression, are witnessing the next generation of social media age athletes, where everyone 'has' to be friendly with one another, privileged and entitled, ignore six decades of progress and just b**** and cry about stupid, petty BS.

Pop culture, and tens of millions of Americans are confusing Patriotism with 'racism' and 'bigotry'. It's black and white for the other side. This is an overreaction to Trump's speech in my opinion. The NFL's ratings are trending down even further this season because of this BS.

The worst case and example is a team, I forget which one, saying they're going to kneel overseas for their game in London. That's disgraceful.

I decided to make a cute little poll to get the consensus on this.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 5000
Location: Anchorage, AK
The Ravens make me want to puke. Whole team kneels for the US anthem, immediately rise for God Save the Queen.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:07 pm
Posts: 250
Totaly agree with you east.
I watch football to get away from the
day to day bs. Take the "protest" elsewhere.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Ski_Money wrote:
The Ravens make me want to puke. Whole team kneels for the US anthem, immediately rise for God Save the Queen.


And a 37 PT blow out immediately followed. They know they're wrong.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
madphan13 wrote:
I watch football to get away from the
day to day bs.


Haha, and now the NFL is a trending political talking point.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:04 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8829
Total bs. They don't even know what they are protesting. Making millions yeah your so oppressed. Hands up is a total joke. That dude just strong armed a store and went for the cops gun. Give me a break


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 5937
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Has Ross issued a statement?

_________________
GASE IS ON THE CASE!!! 2017 , 2018 , 2019 SB CHAMPIONS.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:06 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8829
Nfl ratings are down the players are self inflicteding themselves.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:07 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8829
He owners are gonna get backed into a corner real soon. I hardly post anymore cause of this nonsense. I couldn't really careless what happens with the nfl or phins.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1781
Location: Charlotte, NC
Great writeup East. The NFL is imploding........I'm beginning to feel bad about watching NFL games.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
The worst case and example is a team, I forget which one, saying they're going to kneel overseas for their game in London. That's disgraceful.


Baltimore. They got their asses beat by 37 pts courtesy of JAX. How fitting. Uncle Sam is pissed.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Makchell wrote:
He owners are gonna get backed into a corner real soon. I hardly post anymore cause of this nonsense. I couldn't really careless what happens with the nfl or phins.


The media will overreact to anything, literally anything Trump says.

I'm getting that way too...especially after getting beat down by the Jests. I grew out of the whole hardcore fan thing. It's silly to get so invested in something you have no control over. It's still fun to talk about though...we're all still here every season. I just don't care nearly as much whether Miami wins or loses like I used to.

The NFL thought they were bulletproof. They keep this bull**** up they will lose 20% of their audience within 5 years.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 5000
Location: Anchorage, AK
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 14897
Location: Raleigh, NC
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
The media will overreact to anything, literally anything Trump says.


I agree, and things were quieting down until Trump lit a fire under it all. Honestly, I don't see any evidence for the BLM protests. In just about each incident the person shot was a criminal who didn't listen to the police. Also, people most dangerous to blacks are blacks. Those of us who do not believe in BLM aren't heartless. Statistics just do not support their claims.


AFCMiamiEast wrote:
The NFL thought they were bulletproof. They keep this bull**** up they will lose 20% of their audience within 5 years.


They'll lose some people, but most of us will just ignore the protests. We love the game of football.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6108
Not all of the Stealers stayed in the locker room a vet Alejandro Villanueva came out and stood with hand over heart. I salute you, sir.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6108
On a side note his Jersey sales sky rocketed and are trending upward and is 6th in the league as of yesterday. I guess a few people out there still don't want the devisive disrespect and love our vets.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Big Dave wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
The NFL thought they were bulletproof. They keep this bull**** up they will lose 20% of their audience within 5 years.


They'll lose some people, but most of us will just ignore the protests. We love the game of football.


It's more personal for me since I joined the USMC. I doubt this will still be a big deal within 5 years, protests, especially something like this, don't usually last anywhere near that long.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
AQNOR wrote:
Not all of the Stealers stayed in the locker room a vet Alejandro Villanueva came out and stood with hand over heart. I salute you, sir.


Villanueva is a Ranger, bronze star with valor, combat infantry badge with 3 tours in the Middle East. Guy is a REAL combat veteran. The man would demand a trade before he ever cowered inside the locker room during the anthem.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 1082
This has become an exercise in stupidity and even that's not a strong enough word.

Using an issue to destroy each other politically, ignores the issue and invalidates the principles behind it. Protests founded on a lark and not capitalized on by those who feel it is a real issue, and then commentated on by the president to rekindle a protest that should have died because those who raised it failed to lead the national conversational it created is an exercise in lunacy.

A second year of controversy that helps no one but is good for ratings. A colossal waste when compared to the outpouring of help Hurricane Harvey and Irma wrought.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:39 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8829
I lost respect for ross


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26223
Location: Miami, FL
Why is the POTUS calling people sons of byotches when commenting on this? Our "leader" is leading us right into the flames he keeps stoking with his stupid tweets and his 12-year old buffoonery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 14897
Location: Raleigh, NC
Rich wrote:
Why is the POTUS calling people sons of byotches when commenting on this? Our "leader" is leading us right into the flames he keeps stoking with his stupid tweets and his 12-year old buffoonery.


I think he is just firing up his fan base. He hears so much criticism by the liberal press that he is trying to even things up. He has so much pride that he always feels the need to get even. I wish he would just shut the heck up.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 am 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8829
Yes, he does need to stay off twitter


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6108
There are things I don't like about Trump and I am sure there are things in my past if repeated out loud for the nation to hear I would hang my head in shame.

I don't like the players being divisive and disrespectful of the many people who gave their lives for our freedoms. The protest was started because America is institutionally racist. That is what I remember him saying. He has followed that up showing a modern LEO badge with a badge of a slave catcher. That is what the leader of this movement is about. Where are we going to go with this conversation? Where is the conversation? What exactly is this conversation they keep talking about?

The USA is in the middle of a culture war and the Pres. is not one to back down from a fight it seems. I think this is part of the sjw cause to reshape this country into something different. I remember another President just previous to Trump who would make imo reckless comments about what was going on in the news. He did it more than once and was fairly consistent even after the facts showed him to be wrong. He seemed to get praise from most of the media.

Imo Trump is not the one who is ruining football. Those forces are happening from within the organization and he is just pointing them out. The NFL makes the players conform to their rules. You can only wear certain things on game day, where is the freedom of speech in that. You can only act certain ways after a TD where is the free speech in that. If they wanted to enforce a code of conduct on game day they could and they do for some things. They choose not too on this issue.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26223
Location: Miami, FL
AQNOR wrote:
There are things I don't like about Trump and I am sure there are things in my past if repeated out loud for the nation to hear I would hang my head in shame.

I don't like the players being divisive and disrespectful of the many people who gave their lives for our freedoms. The protest was started because America is institutionally racist. That is what I remember him saying. He has followed that up showing a modern LEO badge with a badge of a slave catcher. That is what the leader of this movement is about. Where are we going to go with this conversation? Where is the conversation? What exactly is this conversation they keep talking about?

The USA is in the middle of a culture war and the Pres. is not one to back down from a fight it seems. I think this is part of the sjw cause to reshape this country into something different. I remember another President just previous to Trump who would make imo reckless comments about what was going on in the news. He did it more than once and was fairly consistent even after the facts showed him to be wrong. He seemed to get praise from most of the media.

Imo Trump is not the one who is ruining football. Those forces are happening from within the organization and he is just pointing them out. The NFL makes the players conform to their rules. You can only wear certain things on game day, where is the freedom of speech in that. You can only act certain ways after a TD where is the free speech in that. If they wanted to enforce a code of conduct on game day they could and they do for some things. They choose not too on this issue.


The protests were disappearing because the people were turning games off, which is the proper way to react to something if you don't agree with it.

Trump brought all of it back to the forefront again and in the process proceeded to uninvited the Warriors to the White House because he was butt hurt about them debating whether to go.

He is not a leader.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6108
Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
There are things I don't like about Trump and I am sure there are things in my past if repeated out loud for the nation to hear I would hang my head in shame.

I don't like the players being divisive and disrespectful of the many people who gave their lives for our freedoms. The protest was started because America is institutionally racist. That is what I remember him saying. He has followed that up showing a modern LEO badge with a badge of a slave catcher. That is what the leader of this movement is about. Where are we going to go with this conversation? Where is the conversation? What exactly is this conversation they keep talking about?

The USA is in the middle of a culture war and the Pres. is not one to back down from a fight it seems. I think this is part of the sjw cause to reshape this country into something different. I remember another President just previous to Trump who would make imo reckless comments about what was going on in the news. He did it more than once and was fairly consistent even after the facts showed him to be wrong. He seemed to get praise from most of the media.

Imo Trump is not the one who is ruining football. Those forces are happening from within the organization and he is just pointing them out. The NFL makes the players conform to their rules. You can only wear certain things on game day, where is the freedom of speech in that. You can only act certain ways after a TD where is the free speech in that. If they wanted to enforce a code of conduct on game day they could and they do for some things. They choose not too on this issue.


The protests were disappearing because the people were turning games off, which is the proper way to react to something if you don't agree with it.

Trump brought all of it back to the forefront again and in the process proceeded to uninvited the Warriors to the White House because he was butt hurt about them debating whether to go.

He is not a leader.


Cool. He is not the leader you want him to be. The Warriors or some of the people in the organization were openly making a political statement about to go or not. So a political guy made a counter political move. Sounds smart.

I think Pres. was wrong to say they were sob's. I don't mind that they were called out except maybe it should have been done sooner. From a pure football point of view I wish the whole thing would go away so I can enjoy the game I like the most. Everything seems to be politicized now so I am coming to grips that is the world I live in.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26223
Location: Miami, FL
AQNOR wrote:
Cool. He is not the leader you want him to be.


So are you saying you're OK with a president who insults everyone he disagrees with? Who can't remain consistent in his message from day to day? Who constantly pisses people off? Who spends time tit for tatting on twitter while nukes are pointed at us and people are displaced or starving or jobless or sick and without access to healthcare?

Is that what leaders do? Shouldn't he be working to unite the country? How can he do that when he insults anyone who isn't on his side of the argument?

This isn't a football message board, it's the presidency.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:43 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10144
Location: MA
Rich wrote:
The protests were disappearing because the people were turning games off, which is the proper way to react to something if you don't agree with it.


This. There is a very small, select group that seems to be rallying around these protests and the celebrities who inject themselves into politics on a daily basis. You want it stop then stop buying the product. NFL owners will notice when their wallets get thinner. Remember when Occupy Wall Street was supposed to be a game changer? Yeah, this too could have gone the way of the buffalo very quickly but now has legs.

Trump did more for Kaepernick this weekend then any form of protest. Enough with the Twitter rants. Worry about that little tub of goo in North Korea or focus on relief efforts for TX, FL and Puerto Rico.

Personally, I think Mike Tomlin looks like the biggest jerk in all of this nonsense. He crapped on Villanueva for not "participating." You don't tell a guy who lost friends and nearly sacrificed his own life on a real battlefield to stop honoring those brothers and sisters so that you can make a statement on some pretend battlefield.

I'm willing to bet Tomlin issues an apology, even if its a half butt one, at some point this week.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6108
Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Cool. He is not the leader you want him to be.


So are you saying you're OK with a president who insults everyone he disagrees with? Who can't remain consistent in his message from day to day? Who constantly pisses people off? Who spends time tit for tatting on twitter while nukes are pointed at us and people are displaced or starving or jobless or sick and without access to healthcare?

Is that what leaders do? Shouldn't he be working to unite the country? How can he do that when he insults anyone who isn't on his side of the argument?

This isn't a football message board, it's the presidency.


No I am not ok with it. I just understand it. Pres. Trump was not my choice for President. I would have much preferred Dr. Ben Carson. You only have to be a republican to piss a lot of people off.
I don't buy this idea of we have nukes pointed at us or other stuff going on so he can't twitter. That is a ridiculous argument imo. Some people blow of steam in the gym he seems to on twitter. It would not be my choice and I wish many times he would not but to think he is going to solve all of the worlds problems by not twittering does not make sense to me.

I wish there was a leader alive who could unite this country. I don't believe that person exists. I am probably wrong but it does not seem to me that Pres. Trump starts with the insults but he does not back down after receiving them.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6108
Quote:
The NFL rule book specifically requires both teams appear on the field for the playing of the anthem, standing, remaining quiet, and holding their helmets in their left hands. Failure to do so can result in fines, suspensions, and the loss of draft picks. 
The rules are found on pages A62-63 of the league’s game operations manual:
The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.
During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.
On Sunday, almost a hundred players took a knee during the national anthem. The Pittsburgh Steelers, Chicago Beats, Seattle Seahawks, and Tennessee Titans all opted against even coming out on the field for the anthem. 
But rather than warn these players and team they're violating league rules, Goodell is focusing his anger at President Trump, who said in a speech Friday that the NFL team owners should require their players to stand during the anthem. 
“The way we reacted today, and this weekend, made me proud,” Goodell said. “I’m proud of our league.”
On Saturday, Goodell responded directly to Trump, accusing the president of disrespecting the league, which asipires to "create a sense of unity in our country and our culture":
The NFL and our players are at our best when we help create a sense of unity in our country and our culture.  There is no better example than the amazing response from our clubs and players to the terrible natural disasters we've experienced over the last month.  Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities.
Goodell hasn't always been so supportive of his players engaging in free speech on the field.
Last year the NFL barred the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet honoring the five police officers killed in a domestic terror attack.
 
The NFL also banned the Tennessee Titan's linebacker, Avery Williamson, from honoring 9/11 victims by wearing cleats that read "9-11/01" and "Never Forget" on the 15th anniversary of the terror attack. 
 
The NFL fined Robert Griffin III $10,000 for wearing a t-shirt during a press conference that said "Operation Patience." (The shirt was created by Reebok and players are required to only wear clothing sold by Nike.)
 
RGIII also ran into trouble with the league for wearing a shirt that said "Know Jesus, Know Peace."
 
The NFL has banned players from wearing Beats headphones on the field (doing so violated the league's deal with Bose). 
 
The Steelers' William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats, which he did to raise awareness for domestic violence (an issue Goodell claims the league takes seriously).
 
Goodell's opposition to speech he dislikes is so determined that he even has a Patriots fan who flipped him off fired from his job. 

UPDATE: Snopes.com claims that this rule does not, in fact, exist. The article cites the rule quoted above and reports "No such wording appears in the 2017 version of the Official Playing Rules of the National Football League.
Yet the NFL's Game Operations Manual -- which the league refers to as its "bible" -- is different than its rulebook. It is not available to the public. The rule cited above comes from the league itself, via the Washington Post. 
The Post reported Sunday that the NFL confirmed the rule's existence but emphasized their ability to enforce it selectively:
Under the league rule, the failure to be on the field for the anthem may result in discipline such as a fine, suspension or loss of a draft pick. But a league official said the key phrase is “may” result, adding he won’t speculate on whether the Steelers would be disciplined.
The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league’s game operations manual, according to a league source. 


https://news.grabien.com/story-roger-go ... ng-players


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6108
Quote:
Hemal Jhaveri
13 hrs ago

In their own words: NFL players explain why they protested

Their reasons for kneeling, standing, linking arms or even staying off the field are moving, thought-provoking and worth your time to read.
Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs
"I find that very alarming. This is the same guy who wouldn't condemn violent Neo-Nazi's but he's condemning guys that are taking a knee during the national anthem"

Michael Thomas, Miami Dolphins
It just amazes me with everything else going on this world, especially involving the U.S. that's what you concerned about, my man..as a man, as a father, as an African-American man, as someone in the NFL, yeah I take it personally, but like I said..it's bigger than me."

Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks
"I think that it's more powerful if each individual owner comes out and has something to say about this, but we are all together, we are all Americans, and it's time for the racism and bigotry, for those things to go away. Those things have no place in society, no place in America, no place in any country, and that's my two cents."

Chris McCain, Los Angeles Chargers
“This is the guy we’re supposed to lean on, who’s here to protect us, clearly stating he’s not on our side”

Jabaal Sheard, Indianapolis Colts
https://twitter.com/jabaalsheard/status ... otested%2F
... My actions were in solidarity with our brothers and sisters facing unjust treatment. My actions were to spread awareness about those less fortunate without a voice.

Devin McCourty, New England Patriots
"We hate that people are going to see it that we don't respect the military, the men and women that are braver than us that go and put their life on the line…but we just wanted to send a message of unity and being together, and not standing for the disrespect…all of us want to send a message of unity, not just as a team but a fraternity of NFL players

Julius Peppers, Carolina Panthers
I want to get one thing clear. This was not about disrespecting the military, disrespecting the flag, police, first responders, none of that.
"It was about me making a decision as a man on my own two feet. (And I) don't want to ask someone else to do anything for me. I just thought it was appropriate to stay in because we know what went on this week with the comments that were made by the President. I felt like he attacked our brothers, my brothers in the league."

Damon Harrison, New York Giants https://twitter.com/BigDame900/status/9 ... otested%2F
Took a knee with my hand over my heart to respect the men & women of service, past & present. Also with the realities of America in mind.

Seattle Seahawks

As a team we have decided that we will not participate in the National anthem. We will not stand for the injustice that has plagued people of color in this country. Out of love for our country and in honor of the sacrifices made on our behalf, we unite to oppose those that would deny our most basic freedoms. We remain committed in continue to work towards equality and justice for all.






http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/in- ... spartandhp


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am
Posts: 559
The more they protest the less attention I pay to it...


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1781
Location: Charlotte, NC
It's bad...........you can't watch a football game without it becoming a political event. Last year, we would have been ripping the Team for an atrocious game........instead, we're having a political discussion. Hard to take people seriously, who make 20 - 1000 times more than the average American, complain about social injustice. The Players and Owners have the power to get out into the community and work to understand and correct any perceived social issues. Instead they dishonor the country, that gave them the freedom and pathway to reach their dreams.

It's going to be tough, but I'm gong to try to take a break from the NFL for a while.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
AQNOR wrote:
The NFL makes the players conform to their rules. You can only wear certain things on game day, where is the freedom of speech in that. You can only act certain ways after a TD where is the free speech in that. If they wanted to enforce a code of conduct on game day they could and they do for some things. They choose not too on this issue.


Good point. The uniform is an obvious requirement, I'll point out the obvious and assume you meant clothing like gloves, socks and cleats.

_________________
Image


Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
jammer wrote:
Personally, I think Mike Tomlin looks like the biggest jerk in all of this nonsense. He crapped on Villanueva for not "participating." You don't tell a guy who lost friends and nearly sacrificed his own life on a real battlefield to stop honoring those brothers and sisters so that you can make a statement on some pretend battlefield.

I'm willing to bet Tomlin issues an apology, even if its a half butt one, at some point this week.


As I said before, there is a huge difference between a US military veteran, and a combat veteran. Villanueva is a true combat veteran. When you are out there on the field and you are relying on your brother to basically be your guardian angel and protect your life, there is no bond thicker than that.

Hell, a lot of those guys have stronger bonds with each other than married couples. I don't know the private, day to day relationship he has inside the locker room, but if I was Villanueva and my coach said that, I wouldn't play for him. Straight up.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4673
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
shularino wrote:
Instead they dishonor the country, that gave them the freedom and pathway to reach their dreams.

It's going to be tough, but I'm gong to try to take a break from the NFL for a while.


I respect that. Their message about police injustice is valid, they're just using the wrong platform to protest. The flag is a hell of a lot more symbolic of our war fighters than civilian police, yet that it was they chose to use.

That is the biggest issue right there, it isn't a disagreement about the message from both sides...that is what makes this the perfect storm of as zatrex stated, STUPIDITY. Neither side in the mainstream seems able to point out the reality of it like you and I and would rather just cry, whine and call each other names.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6108
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
The NFL makes the players conform to their rules. You can only wear certain things on game day, where is the freedom of speech in that. You can only act certain ways after a TD where is the free speech in that. If they wanted to enforce a code of conduct on game day they could and they do for some things. They choose not too on this issue.


Good point. The uniform is an obvious requirement, I'll point out the obvious and assume you meant clothing like gloves, socks and cleats.



Last year the NFL barred the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet honoring the five police officers killed in a domestic terror attack.
 
The NFL also banned the Tennessee Titan's linebacker, Avery Williamson, from honoring 9/11 victims by wearing cleats that read "9-11/01" and "Never Forget" on the 15th anniversary of the terror attack. 
 
The NFL fined Robert Griffin III $10,000 for wearing a t-shirt during a press conference that said "Operation Patience." (The shirt was created by Reebok and players are required to only wear clothing sold by Nike.)
 
RGIII also ran into trouble with the league for wearing a shirt that said "Know Jesus, Know Peace."
 
The NFL has banned players from wearing Beats headphones on the field (doing so violated the league's deal with Bose). 
 
The Steelers' William Gay was fined for wearing purple cleats, which he did to raise awareness for domestic violence (an issue Goodell claims the league takes seriously).


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6108
Quote:
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Several Miami Dolphins players wore black T-shirts with the phrase "#ImWithKap" on front during warm-ups for Sunday's game against the New York Jets to support Colin Kaepernick's stance against racial injustice. ...


http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins ... -jets-game


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 1082
AQNOR wrote:
I wish many times he would not but to think he is going to solve all of the worlds problems by not twittering does not make sense to me.


It shows that he'll spout off the first inane comment that comes to his mind without stopping and thinking. It shows that his image is more important than actually being a leader. You have to divide the country to win elections, but then you're expected to bring the country back together once you take the oath.

To summarize: he's not smart enough to listen and think about advice given to him by smarter people, an all important prerequisite of being a descent leader. And he'll act irrationally when his fragile ego is threatened. That makes him dangerous to the USA.

Rich is also correct. North Korea could be the flash point for WW3. We always hope cooler heads prevail, but usually America has the leader with the cooler head. Not this time. Not trying to be an alarmist, but the elements for disaster are all here.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:55 pm
Posts: 1082
Rich wrote:
This isn't a football message board, it's the presidency.


Couldn't have said it better myself. :yay:


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r