View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Jimmy Buffett Blames Bush for Spill 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Jimmy Buffett Blames Bush for Spill
Quote:
Jimmy Buffett Organizes Gulf Benefit, Blames Bush for Spill

Singer Jimmy Buffett is just another mad Gulf Coast native when it comes to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, but with an exception: He's got millions of fans and a way to help lift spirits over the seemingly endless crisis.

Buffett and his Coral Reefer Band will play Sunday on the beach in Gulf Shores, Ala., which has been sporadically hit by oil for weeks. The show already has been postponed once because of Hurricane Alex, and Buffet is hoping bad weather lurking in the Gulf doesn't create problems this weekend.

Known for laid-back tunes like "Margaritaville" and "Cheeseburger in Paradise," Buffett told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday that it's perfectly normal for people to be mad when they see oil washing up on beaches and marshes.

"If you're born and raised on the Gulf Coast and it's kind of in you, and you don't feel anger and rage initially over what's going on down there, I think you're a hypocrite," he said in a telephone interview from New York. "That's the way I felt. Now, what you do with that is a big question."
Buffett said a beachfront concert seemed like the right thing to do after talking to people on the coast.

"People were going, `What are you going to do about things?' I mean, hell, I can't stick my finger in that hole. Everybody wishes they could," said Buffett.

"But there's a huge amount of frustration and probably it will boil over in summertime anger, and I know what I've done for years is entertain. What I'm best at is two hours of escapism for people that have to go back and either live jobs that they don't like or whatever," he said. "It's that Mardi Gras mentality."

Born in Mississippi and raised in Alabama, Buffett has lived all over the Gulf Coast. He said memories of the region are laced through his music.

"I have pretty much surrounded myself with Gulf Coast influences for a long time, and ... if you listen to those songs, I think it's pretty much in there," said Buffett, 63.

Buffett, a supporter of President Barack Obama, said the roots of the spill lie with the administration of former President George Bush, which was often criticized for being too cozy with the petroleum industry.

"To me it was more about eight years of bad policy before (Obama) got there that let this happen. It was Dracula running the blood bank in terms of oil and leases," he said. "I think that has more to do with it than how the president reacted to it."

The beach concert on Sunday will also feature Jesse Winchester and Allen Toussaint, who also were in the original lineup. Country singers Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown had to drop out because of prior commitments. Buffett said he is still making phone calls trying to add additional acts for Sunday, but he's not sure of the final roster.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... ush-spill/

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Jimmy Buffett Blames Bush for Spill
Bush also caused Hurricane Katrina. My toilet plugged this morning...I cursed the day Bush was born.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Buffet's comments are bathed in ignorance (and likely oil).
The real fault for the oil spill lies with decades of poor oversight by government agencies, and poor crisis planning on BP's part (nothing new for them).
To blame Bush or Obama for this disaster is like playing musical chairs; when the music stops, the guy left standing gets blamed. Really this has been building up since the late 1940's. There needs to be better government oversight and enforcement on these companies. There should have been better backup contingencies in place with equipment ready to be on location within 24-48 hours. I believe their first effort with the 'dome' took well over a week or two before it was ready to be on site.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:41 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phin wrote:
The real fault for the oil spill lies with decades of poor oversight by government agencies, and poor crisis planning on BP's part (nothing new for them).
To blame Bush or Obama for this disaster is like playing musical chairs; when the music stops, the guy left standing gets blamed. Really this has been building up since the late 1940's. There needs to be better government oversight and enforcement on these companies. There should have been better backup contingencies in place with equipment ready to be on location within 24-48 hours. I believe their first effort with the 'dome' took well over a week or two before it was ready to be on site.

Well put.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

1984phins wrote:
Phin wrote:

Well put.

:yay:
Should we mark this momentous occasion? We agreed! :)

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:29 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

We disagree THAT often? LOL

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:43 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phin wrote:

So who is to blame for the fact that other countries had offered skimmers very early in the game but the U.S. government said no due to a 1920 law prohibiting European ships in the Gulf? Who is to blame for not overturning that law? Who is to blame for the slow response of the government as a whole to this disaster?

This oil could have been prevented from reaching shorelines...

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Phin wrote:

So who is to blame for the fact that other countries had offered skimmers very early in the game but the U.S. government said no due to a 1920 law prohibiting European ships in the Gulf? Who is to blame for not overturning that law? Who is to blame for the slow response of the government as a whole to this disaster?

This oil could have been prevented from reaching shorelines...

Well again, that law could have been overturned anytime in the last 50 years.
As for the skimmers, I don't know enough about the whole process to offer judgement. Certainly more could have/be done that what has been, but by and large I do not place the greatest amount of blame on Obama. BP in the end is the one who should be prepared for this. The government should also, but the onus must lay mostly on the companies who profit from the oil they drill off our shores.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Phin wrote:
Well again, that law could have been overturned anytime in the last 50 years.

We didn't need it at the time. We need it NOW.

Quote:
but by and large I do not place the greatest amount of blame on Obama.

These are federal waters under government jurisdiction. The White House claimed to be in control from the beginning.

Some control.

Quote:
but the onus must lay mostly on the companies who profit from the oil they drill off our shores.

Again, these are federal waters. On land, if a chemical plant blows up, it is government workers, not workers from the plant, who clean up the mess.

To further prove my point, there was a similar oil spill off the shores of Saudia Arabia in the 90s. They had every skimmer and super tanker available to prevent oil from getting to shore, and not a drop ever did.

In this case, the federal government has been an impedement at every turn. From turning away the offer of European skimmers on day 3, to preventing the local governments from setting up barrier islands that have been proving to prevent oil from reaching ashore because they had to do a scientific study on the effects to wildlife (huh?). Bobby Jindal had boats with water vacuums picking up thousands of gallons a day and they were told to stop by the feds for not having all the proper safety equipment on those boats...

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:47 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/06/oil-sp ... jones-act/

More info on some of the points raised here.

Is this the oil spill in question? http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/06/ ... index.html

Last edited by 1984phins on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 am

1984phins wrote:
http://www.factcheck.org/2010/06/oil-spill-foreign-help-and-the-jones-act/

More info on some of the points raised here.

Interesting how factcheck.org only identifies the right as stating this. That isn't entirely the case.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/06/17/obama ... big-labor/

http://boss.hawaiireporter.com/obama-sh ... sman-says/

http://www.independent.org/blog/?p=6567

http://www.philly2philly.com/politics_c ... ive_jones_

http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/blogs ... 04559.html

http://www.cagw.org/newsroom/releases/2 ... waive.html

And regardless, there are many inexcusable actions (or inactions) by this government that have hampered the local governments from taking the action they needed to take to prevent this oil spill from reaching precious wetlands.

We are 3 months into this thing and it is still gushing like crazy and an entire region is already devastated.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:39 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
And regardless, there are many inexcusable actions (or inactions) by this government that have hampered the local governments from taking the action they needed to take to prevent this oil spill from reaching precious wetlands.

We are 3 months into this thing and it is still gushing like crazy and an entire region is already devastated.

Nobody is saying this is Obama's finest hour.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:53 am

1984phins wrote:
Rich wrote:

Nobody is saying this is Obama's finest hour.

No, but someone is saying he shouldn't get all that much blame for it....

Let's not try to change the context of the conversation at a whim....

The aftermath has been a downright disaster for this White House.

And quite frankly, the fact that this White House received the most money from BP and gave this rig an award for a safety inspection just a year ago doesn't reflect all that well either.

Yes BP took shortcuts with this rig, which is the direct root cause of all this. But it isn't as if the White House doesn't have oil on its hands either.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
No, but someone is saying he shouldn't get all that much blame for it....
Let's not try to change the context of the conversation at a whim....

Then again, don't put words into my mouth, either. You always point this out when I do it to you.

As for the context of the conversation, this thread started with someone blaming Bush, not Obama. The first comments attacked this point. It then became an issue of who deserves the most blame. I agreed with Phin when he pointed out a lack of government oversight and BP were to blame, NOT Bush.

Rich wrote:
The aftermath has been a downright disaster for this White House.

Of course, it has. I said before, this isn't Obama's finest hour. I will also say that no matter who lived in the White House (Bush, Obama, McCain) I don't see this situation as being better or worse than how it played out. You can disagree with me if you like, but since we are dealing with nothing but pure speculation, let's already agree to disagree if that is the case.

Rich wrote:
And quite frankly, the fact that this White House received the most money from BP . . . doesn't reflect all that well either.

That's a pretty misleading statement from you. Completely lacking in context.

Here is a politico article: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36783.html

Obama got $77,051 dollars from BP. McCain got $44,899. What difference does 33,000 dollars make in an election cycle that saw hundreds of millions spen? None.

Obama raised 750 million (according to the article) for his campaign, so we are talking about 0.01% of his campaign came from BP. Are you really trying to say that he...what? Ignored his better judgment in this situation because he got 0.01% of his money from them?

The greater context here is that BP spent 15.9 million in lobbying Congress last year. Big oil as a whole spent $174 MILLION.

The bigger picture is that McCain's campaign doubled the amount of money from big oil compared to Obama's. I could make a blanket statement based on that fact alone. See, if he would have won, I could have made a similiar statement about him. Like: "Well, of course this disaster happened: big oil gives sooooo much money to Republicans... they gave McCain 2 million alone last year." That doesn't make me right at all. It just becomes a useless meaningless attack.

Since 1990, 3/4 of big oil money went to Republicans. The other 25% went to Dems.

Rich wrote:
and gave this rig an award for a safety inspection just a year ago . . .

Are you contending that a McCain White House would have put a red flag on this rig? If so, based on what? Why did this rig get a good safety rating? See the bolded print above.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I understand what your saying Rich, and as I said, I don't have all the facts. I do fault the opening days of this disaster mostly on BP. I think there is enough evidence out there to show that they have a history of being poorly equipped for such disasters. Lets not forget that they were responsible for the Exxon Valdez containment as well.
I didn't know how about the Feds hampering cleanup efforts though. I really don't watch the news anymore as it is mostly filled with opinions and very little factual reporting. Even the facts they report are done so with a blind eye towards competing factors. So what little news I get is what I glean in a glance at online news sites.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:11 pm

1984phins wrote:
Then again, don't put words into my mouth, either. You always point this out when I do it to you.

Comical, you just said a post ago that no one said this was Obama's finest hour.

Well I never said that anyone did. So who is putting words in whose mouth?

Quote:
As for the context of the conversation

The context of this conversation changed to Obama because it was brought up by the person I was responding to. You then decided to change the context to "no one is saying this is Obama's finest hour" even though no one said that anyone said that.

Quote:
I will also say that no matter who lived in the White House (Bush, Obama, McCain) I don't see this situation as being better or worse than how it played out. You can disagree with me if you like, but since we are dealing with nothing but pure speculation, let's already agree to disagree if that is the case.

I've yet to speculate in this thread.

Quote:
That's a pretty misleading statement from you. Completely lacking in context.

Just because my context doesn't fit your ideology doesn't mean I am out of context.

Obama has received the most money from BP over the past 20 years. Too bad that article doesn't give you the entire total.

Quote:
Are you contending that a McCain White House would have put a red flag on this rig? If so, based on what? Why did this rig get a good safety rating? See the bolded print above.

So you jump up when you think I am putting words in your mouth (when I clearly didn't) and then proceed to put words in mine.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

ANYWAYS.............. I think Buffet's comments are completely politically motivated and ridiculous. If he was going to blame a president he needs to blame Obama or just shut up. Stupid comments like his only feed to the impression that Democrats are blaming Bush for everything that Obama whiffs on. I think Buffet is only hurting the Democrat's cause. Can we say 'backfire'?

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:14 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phin wrote:
ANYWAYS.............. I think Buffet's comments are completely politically motivated and ridiculous. If he was going to blame a president he needs to blame Obama or just shut up. Stupid comments like his only feed to the impression that Democrats are blaming Bush for everything that Obama whiffs on. I think Buffet is only hurting the Democrat's cause. Can we say 'backfire'?

Well, he isn't any kind of official Democrat. Is his opinion really worth anything?

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Phin wrote:

Minutia. What is hurting the Democrat cause the most is unemployment numbers.

And seeing how we are about to double dip, I don't see those numbers getting better.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:08 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

LOL, I'm not saying he is going to cost Democrats an election. I'm just saying that lame brain arguments don't exactly paint a positive picture for the party you support. It's like a Hollywood star owning a portion of your football team when they can't even name one player on the team. (funny how close that hits to him) LOL.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:25 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

THis might have already been brought up,but the skimmers suck up 98% of the oil off of the water's surface. The rule should have been over turned for this disaster. I fish on the gulf and I'm pissed about the whole sitiuation since this whole area is based on tourism.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:50 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

OK ... Bush planted the dynamite ... Obama pulled the switch. This is crazy. BP's rig ... maybe they should have had a plan if something like this happens.
There is a big divide here among us ... those who are Bushwacked & those who are Obamarized.
I can tell you dont be a fan of either one of those guys because they could give a crap about you.
Nothing will change until we get some sort of a third party.
Never liked Jimmy Buffet either ... even at this time last year when we were all bitten in the butt by a landshark as a minotity owner.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
BP's rig ... maybe they should have had a plan if something like this happens.

They did have a plan. A plan for a spill 10x the size of what happened. It was 800 pages of the most useless crap ever written. It had things like listing contact details for people that were 20 years out of date or dead for 5 years. It had plans for saving the seals and walruses.

Yeah, they put a lot of effort into concerning themselves with what would happen.

Also, I have to say that Jimmy Buffet is a PR genius. Here's a guy who has made like 5,000 songs. Two of them are sort of popular. Yet he has his own radio program, billions of fans and people are posting his opinions on this board.

How does he do it?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]