View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 State of the Union Address 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post State of the Union Address
I am moderate in my political views, but Obama seemed to have a lot of good ideas, whether they will all work or not is to be debated, but big fan of the big banks paying back the american public that bailed them out "if they have the ability to give out big bonuses. they can pay back the america tax payers that bailed them out."

Also, the republicans did not seem too fond of a lot of his ideas. Any thoughts guys?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: State of the Union Address
Iceberg85 wrote:
I am moderate in my political views, but Obama seemed to have a lot of good ideas, whether they will all work or not is to be debated, but big fan of the big banks paying back the american public that bailed them out "if they have the ability to give out big bonuses. they can pay back the america tax payers that bailed them out."

Also, the republicans did not seem too fond of a lot of his ideas. Any thoughts guys?

I think that was a line designed to stir up the passions (lets get those dirty rotten no good bankers, they make to much money etc...) of economic envy as the banks have been paying back their loans. Was it just about banks or was it about all of the companies the government made loans to?

Quote:
As Banks Repay Bailout Money, U.S. Sees a Profit

Published: August 30, 2009
Nearly a year after the federal rescue of the nation’s biggest banks, taxpayers have begun seeing profits from the hundreds of billions of dollars in aid that many critics thought might never be seen again.

The profits, collected from eight of the biggest banks that have fully repaid their obligations to the government, come to about $4 billion, or the equivalent of about 15 percent annually, according to calculations compiled for The New York Times.

These early returns are by no means a full accounting of the huge financial rescue undertaken by the federal government last year to stabilize teetering banks and other companies.

The government still faces potentially huge long-term losses from its bailouts of the insurance giant American International Group, the mortgage finance companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and the automakers General Motors and Chrysler. The Treasury Department could also take a hit from its guarantees on billions of dollars of toxic mortgages.

But the mere hint of bailout profits for the nearly year-old Troubled Asset Relief Program has been received as a welcome surprise. It has also spurred hopes that the government could soon get out of the banking business.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/busin ... .html?_r=1

Quote:
Bank of America says it's paying back $45 billion in government loans
Repayment of $45 billion loan from taxpayers will free bank from extra regulations
By Rick Rothacker
rrothacker@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Thursday, Dec. 03, 2009

Bank of America said Wednesday evening it is set to repay all of its $45 billion in government aid, a step that helps remove the stigma of being a bailout recipient and dials back government scrutiny of its operations.

The Charlotte bank had been eager to pay back the money for months, but it needed the approval of government regulators. The move allows departing chief executive Ken Lewis to remove a major blot on his legacy, and it potentially makes it easier for the company to find his replacement.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topsto ... 87650.html

Quote:
The government has taken profits of about $1.4 billion on its investment in Goldman Sachs, $1.3 billion on Morgan Stanley and $414 million on American Express. The five other banks that repaid the government — Northern Trust, Bank of New York Mellon, State Street, U.S. Bancorp and BB&T — each brought in $100 million to $334 million in profit.

The figure does not include the roughly $35 million the government has earned from 14 smaller banks that have paid back their loans. The government bought shares in these and many other financial companies last fall, when sinking confidence among investors pushed down many bank stocks to just a few dollars a share. As the banks strengthened and became profitable, the government authorized them to pay back the preferred stock, which had been paying quarterly dividends since October.

http://www.correntewire.com/tarp_banks_ ... me_profits

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He talks a big talk, but walks a walk that resembles that of a man with a corncob in his butt.

I can definitely back a lot of what he was saying, what with the idea of quit your bickering and work for the good of the people and reform of health care...
but he's lied so many times before, i believe nothing he says. I'm not even sure why I watched it.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Funny how he is back to calling Republicans to work with Democrats. Seems to me he laid off that act when he had enough votes in the house and senate to pass whatever bill he wanted to.
The guy has no substance, no character, and no wits. Compare him to Bill Clinton who faced a semi-similar political setback in the middle of his presidency and notice the difference in how Obama handled this situation. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE
Pretty much Obama relies upon his slick talk, hope for tomorrow BS, and the far left who would vote for Hitler if he supported their policies and ran as a Democrat. So far he is shaping up to be far worse than Jimmy Carter; now thats BAD!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:22 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Iceberg85 wrote:

When you tax big corporations, all they do is figure a way out to pass that tax down to us.

State of the Union speeches are always full of great sounding ideas. But it's just a speech.

JUST WORDS, as Obama said in one of his famous campaign stump speeches.

Yes, Mr. Obama. Just words. Just like many of the things you said on the campaign trail were just words that you have gone back on.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:38 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Yes, Mr. Obama. Just words. Just like many of the things you said on the campaign trail were just words that you have gone back on.

I honestly cannot believe how little he did last year with the majority of the House and Senate. If he really wanted "change" he would have taken advantage of the opportunity. Democrats like to blame the Republicans for not getting things done, but they had the perfect opportunity and wasted it.

Unemployment rose and businesses will not choose to grow and expand when the government is in the business of increasing their taxes.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If the guy wants to take down party lines why not 'literally' take them down? Propose to bill that would make it illegal to hold an elected office while being affiliated with a political party. Turn repubs and dems into lobyist.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:21 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
If the guy wants to take down party lines why not 'literally' take them down? Propose to bill that would make it illegal to hold an elected office while being affiliated with a political party. Turn repubs and dems into lobyist.

There's no way it would pass. Although I would agree with that bill.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We could petition to amend the constitution. The people vote on that and I think it would fly that way. Then Congress couldn't touch it.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Ski_Money wrote:
We could petition to amend the constitution. The people vote on that and I think it would fly that way. Then Congress couldn't touch it.

That's not how amending the Constitution works...

Guess where it starts.

CONGRESS!

Quote:
Article V of the Constitution spells out the processes by which amendments can be proposed and ratified.

To Propose Amendments

Two-thirds of both houses of Congress vote to propose an amendment, or

Two-thirds of the state legislatures ask Congress to call a national convention to propose amendments. (This method has never been used.)

To Ratify Amendments

Three-fourths of the state legislatures approve it, or

Ratifying conventions in three-fourths of the states approve it. This method has been used only once -- to ratify the 21st Amendment -- repealing Prohibition.

The Supreme Court has stated that ratification must be within "some reasonable time after the proposal." Beginning with the 18th amendment, it has been customary for Congress to set a definite period for ratification. In the case of the 18th, 20th, 21st, and 22nd amendments, the period set was 7 years, but there has been no determination as to just how long a "reasonable time" might extend.

Of the thousands of proposals that have been made to amend the Constitution, only 33 obtained the necessary two-thirds vote in Congress. Of those 33, only 27 amendments (including the Bill of Rights) have been ratified.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/usconstit ... tamend.htm

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

He said a lot of things I liked too... but unfortunately I don't pay enough attention to politics to understand what he has or hasn't done... just kinda hoping he gets at least 1 good thing done while in office.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:00 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Man , im gonna break my rule & post on this board. I really dont care for politicians , yes they talk a good talk but on whatever aisle they sit it always fascinates me how people actually think they have the best intersts of the people at heart. I think they couls care less about you & me & only are concerned with keeping up & staying in their own clique which leads them to do whatever it takes to keep their jobs & win elections. As I watched that speech the other nite I thought a big jail cell should just fall over that place , cage them all in becuase most of them deserve to be in jail anyway. My own views ... I dont know - liberal on social issues & more conservative on financial I would say. Until this partisanship crap gets put to an end nothing will change or get better , the division these people show to say is childish would be an insult to children. Also would be nice if you can actually get truthful news & reporting. MSNBC & FOX are such a joke going extremely in both directions its just crazy. Can you reall get a fair story from Olberman , Maddow , Oreilly , Hannitty or Limbaugh. Anyway likie I said I never post on this board but I do read the threads ... to think once again that any of these people actually care for the average american is just crazy .... they only start caring when their jobs are on the line.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]